Username:  Password: 
Login with Social Media Follow BBCRadioForum on Twitter

Author Topic:  Local Radio at it's best BBC 3CR JVS SHOW  (Read 8861 times)

Local Radio at it's best BBC 3CR JVS SHOW
« on: February 21, 2014, 10:14:12 PM »
Poor Brenda was conned out of money. She phoned JVS for help. JVS helped. The listeners helped. The LOCAL listeners helped. This site was created by a local listener. JVS has had his knockers recently, especially on this site about the content of his show. He can wind people up, sometimes make them turn off but they keep listening. Maybe not to the whole show but they know that the show is split between a national item between 9-10am, a local issue between 10-11am and the consumer show between 11-12 noon which helps LOCAL people. The dogs issue is a tricky one but a dangerous dog is going to affect you LOCALLY not only nationally. The area 3CR covers has rich and very poor areas. St Albans is perceived as a 'posh'area. Yet he found people who did not have their dog under control in minutes. The power of local radio is to communicate and educate it's listeners in away that informs and creates debate. Many in the 3CR area probably feel that the dangerous dog issue is not something that will concern then in their leafy suburb. JVS has changed this thought.
Without risking the wrath of admin ( I have on other sites for saying things...) I do feel some of the posts concerning JVS have been rather personal and verging on a personal vendetta against him. To want a presenter to be sacked is rather shallow. Constructive criticism is fine but to be as blinkered as a donkey on the beach is really not fair.
Anyway here is the link to the power of local
https://www.justgiving.com/yimby/brendahall

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
Re: Local Radio at it's best BBC 3CR JVS SHOW
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 10:26:13 AM »
Shows and presenters are mostly going to divide opinion, personally I think JVS has the capacity to do some great stuff but sometimes I think he loses it a bit.

This is a case of the great stuff in point, he has been following Brenda's tale doggedly and he and his listeners have been wonderful, I've just seen on Twitter that so far over 600 has been raised to help her out.

In this day and age where some are only in it for themselves it's great that a show can make a real positive difference, shows the power of local radio.

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 07:41:57 PM »
Now up to 1000 pounds, she should have enough left over for a nice little runaround...

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 09:15:16 PM »
It has to be a good thing to see a local presenter with passion, because that will engage the listeners. We do not want a bland voice going through an agenda of topics without ever sparking . I know the BBC has to remain unbiased but that does not exclude real enthusiasm and engagement and declaration of passion about some subjects.

And local campaigns such as this are what makes BBC local radio tick.

Ticking boxes about topics to be covered that have appeared in the DM that day is a bit lazy and uninspired.

Jenni Murray in her memoirs talks about her time at Radio Bristol and it was an innovative time.

She talks about the station being responsible for setting up mother and toddler groups after taking calls from young mothers who felt isolated.

The station also set up a local Any Questions , where listeners could phone in to discuss the issues of the day with local figures with power and influence.

That sort of thing does not cost money and can be priceless in terms of what BBCLR can deliver. Good for JVS!

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 01:30:04 PM »
Here is the link from today's show.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01svbpy

mel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 01:45:24 PM »
Ive never heard of JVS and never listen to 3 counties radio, but he sounds good.

This is what "Local Radio" is all about. A show and presenter who brings listeners together.

That's why local radio stations are so important and in my opinion far more important than national stations.

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 02:26:37 PM »
That's why sites like these are important. It's very easy to be critical and have a blinkered opinion of local radio but they also do an amazing amount of good for the area they serve.

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 08:53:28 PM »
Yes, thankyou for your comments Mel and 3CR.

This Forum, started because BBC Local radio was going to become a victim of the cuts, applied by a management who looked down upon it and had no respect for it. And, therefore had little respect for democracy, most news starts locally and the most important commentary is usually local

Of course, we elect people to represent us in national and local elections, but the truth is that is not really the answer ,as political careers are often more important than elective representation. BBC local and national radio hold those elected to account everyday in various ways. That is vital, because it involves the public asking the questions and answering those questions in a debate that is not controlled by those with agendas.

Sorry to be a bit cynical. But there is no doubt that we need a robust BBC .Further discussion about localness will be on the Charter renewal thread, if you are able to contribute that would be really good, and then the Forum can submit a contribution to the Charter renewal debate,

Dennis Marshall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 11:50:41 AM »
Certainly Tiger, it is so completely refreshing to learn of something positive, emanating from within BBC local radio - at the risk of appearing cliched, Brenda's story capably demonstrates the unique way Radio Anyshire can contribute, to local issues and people.

The BBC are, or - sadly - were (in the case of Radio Stoke, who abandoned this slogan, mid-2013) keen for listeners to 'Be Part Of It'. To this observer, that advocates everyone working together, as part of a collective team - be it either to benefit a deserving cause, such as Brenda - or just for some entertaining weekend escapism, such as 'The A to Z' on Radio Merseyside's 'Sunday Brunch'.

Regrettably, although the local radio service licence outlines a clear aspiration to hold those elected to account, the same cannot be said for the BBC itself. None of us can get it right all of the time, however several recent events have seen the Corporation fail - in spectacular fashion - then fail once more, to even begin to provide any credible explanation - or believable apology.

As is quite rightly stated the debate must be developed, on the 'Charter Renewal' thread (when time permits me to do so) but I am afraid to say, certain aspects of BBC local radio appear anything but robust. An optimistic opinion may be: "Don't panic", but a more realistic approach is probably: "We're all doomed". With apologies to my esteemed fellow listener 'Northoftheborder', as Radio Stoke's Gary Andrews continues to drag his feet (and buries his head deeper into the sand): "Do you think that's wise, Captain Chaos"?

Rita

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2014, 12:48:09 PM »
Just to say Dennis, that there was absolutely no need to remove a Radio Merseyside presenter in favour of a presenter from Radio Stoke on a Sunday - excuse being (one of them) that the Managing Editor wanted to hear a different voice.  As the former show was superb, neither the Managing Editor or David Holdsworth could justify the change.  I feel strongly about this subject, so strongly in fact, that I refuse to,listen to any part of Sunday brunch.  The particular presenter that was removed, is very popular in this area, yet all Sue Owen does is to prevent him having more time on air to entertain us in his own inimitable way and can I say I am not the only listener with this view.  Our presenter is discriminated against in a way that is nothing short of shocking.  He has recently had some fill in work for another Sunday show, and out of 5 weeks, he managed 2 shows, the rest being cancelled because of b----y football.  I don't think this is either right or fair, despite Tamsin's assertion that I have got a vested interest which is untrue.  I just want the best entertainment possible and Sunday Brunch does not do anything for me - and others think the show is just daft - and we are all entitled to our opinion.  This is from a Managing Editor who was satisfied with the programmes and wasn't going to change anything.
I am still waiting for a comment from Lord Hall who I have contacted on a number of occasions and, up to now, haven't had the courtesy of a reply or acknowledgement from - even though, according to him, wants the BBC to get "closer" to the listeners!

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 06:09:56 PM »
Certainly Tiger, it is so completely refreshing to learn of something positive, emanating from within BBC local radio - at the risk of appearing cliched, Brenda's story capably demonstrates the unique way Radio Anyshire can contribute, to local issues and people.

The BBC are, or - sadly - were (in the case of Radio Stoke, who abandoned this slogan, mid-2013) keen for listeners to 'Be Part Of It'. To this observer, that advocates everyone working together, as part of a collective team - be it either to benefit a deserving cause, such as Brenda - or just for some entertaining weekend escapism, such as 'The A to Z' on Radio Merseyside's 'Sunday Brunch'.

Regrettably, although the local radio service licence outlines a clear aspiration to hold those elected to account, the same cannot be said for the BBC itself. None of us can get it right all of the time, however several recent events have seen the Corporation fail - in spectacular fashion - then fail once more, to even begin to provide any credible explanation - or believable apology.

As is quite rightly stated the debate must be developed, on the 'Charter Renewal' thread (when time permits me to do so) but I am afraid to say, certain aspects of BBC local radio appear anything but robust. An optimistic opinion may be: "Don't panic", but a more realistic approach is probably: "We're all doomed". With apologies to my esteemed fellow listener 'Northoftheborder', as Radio Stoke's Gary Andrews continues to drag his feet (and buries his head deeper into the sand): "Do you think that's wise, Captain Chaos"?

Dennis, I completely agree with you that BBC local radio should be part of a partnership with the listener, where that listener is given every opportunity to interact and clearly has a right to that and it is demonstrated in the Brenda story. That takes a wise and inclusive and creative management and a presenter with grasp. I agree that is not always the case. BBC local radio is a resource that should be valued and treasured, because it was saved from the jaws of Mr Cuts. And there is no doubt that it has been damaged by some of the cuts.

I am pleased that you will look at the Charter renewal thread, there is no rush, we have months to consider, but something I will clip here is part of my coverage of Tony Hall's speech yesterday, which does not show a great deal of respect for BBC local radio and it's listeners.

"He seems to be very proud of cuts to services, which he describes as a tough and amazing achievement, citing the All England show on BBC local radio stations AND HAVING THE NERVE TO SAY THAT AUDIENCES HAVE TAKEN IT IN THEIR STRIDE! Because of the "cleverness of the way that the BBC has gone about it"

Rita, as you are aware I talked of your vested interest in debate on a thread entirely seperate from BBC local radio issues. It was a general discussion about all male panels on BBC comedy shows. You made some remarks about female presenters, being screechy and hysterical on RM, that is fine, but I was not prepared to let that go unchallenged , because it did not address the wider issue being debated and could have been considered fairly offensive to many talented and deserving female comedians and indeed female presenters.

http://www.bbclocalradioforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=1010.0

You are of course entitled to post your opinions and they have been very valuable and I completely understand your passion for seeing air time is given to your favourite presenter, but if wider issues are involved you may be challenged on context.

Rita

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 08:57:20 PM »
As far as female comediennes I find some of them unfunny and in some cases offensive and I won't mention any names in this thread, and of course that applies to some male comedians. I stick to my opinion about screechy females on Radio Merseyside, and these are a female presenters sidekicks, now conveniently called "contributors" in order to keep them on air.  I am not the only one with this opinion and if you listened to the programme concerned, you would understand what I mean.
I am seriously thinking now of leaving this forum, because we seem to be getting nowhere with it.  The powers that be at the BBC do not care one jot for our opinions you only have to look at the posts from the people who are concerned about what is happening at Radio Stoke to see that.
I have no objection at all to female panelists on any kind of panel show, but some of them represent a left wing view and I think that all views should be aired to make a more balanced argument.

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2014, 09:28:38 PM »
"I am seriously thinking now of leaving this forum, because we seem to be getting nowhere with it." quote from Rita.

That is rather unkind and unfair. This Forum has and continues to work very hard on behalf of listeners, indeed I gave up a lot of my Christmas to petition on behalf of the loss of volunteers on Radio Merseyside, because of the impact on interaction on shows for example. And BBC management decided to provide BBC staff members to continue telephone contact.

I am very sorry Rita , that you feel the way that you do and the need to attack the forum in the way that you have.

And at no time have you been stopped from airing your views, as I said before they have been very valuable, but you have to accept that you may be challenged, that is right, just as I and anyone else expects that in a debate.

Darcy and I run this forum on our own time at our own expense for listeners to express their views, we have a history of campaigning to protect BBC local radio.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 09:48:38 PM by Tiger »

Northoftheborder

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2014, 01:01:27 PM »
OK guys, PLEASE let's get some perspective on this (or girls - you know what I mean)! Earlier on, Rita tells us she refuses to listen to any part of "Sunday Brunch". Of course, we are all entitled to our own opinion (and choice of listening) but just how does that help anything? Either personally - or for our cause, in general?

If you don't listen to something, then you're not really entitled to comment on it! Are you? As I see it, Dennis only dropped in "Sunday Brunch" as a side issue, showing two diametrically-opposed sides that the best of BBC local radio offers. Aren't you proud that he chose one of your own station's shows to do that, Rita?

Can't you admit that - even if Jason isn't quite to your lunchtime taste - his show ticks several of those beloved boxes the BBC insist on? He allows his audience (from across the area) choose music to be played. Owing to the nature of the show, plenty of those records are ones you won't hear much, anywhere else.

His listeners can contribute to the show in a variety of ways - including e-mail. If you'd like to swap places with my radio station, then fine. No music requests. Very few opportunities to e-mail shows with your thoughts. No chances - at all - to discuss aspects of programming on air. Rita, you don't realise how lucky you are...

Northoftheborder

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2014, 01:38:35 PM »
What makes this forum tick is the diversity of all its views. We need MORE contributors - not less! So please don't even think of leaving us behind Rita - so far, you've been an inspiration to many, I'm sure. Comments you've already posted helped me shape my own campaign, so (when you read my previous post) please view it in this context.

No way (at all) does this woman want to come across as nasty - especially to another one. God knows, we have it hard enough as it is, sometimes! But you have to view the bigger picture occasionally - and try and see things from another point of view, don't you? I know I do - there are one or two flaws in my last post, for instance!

You ought to be quick to grasp that Jason Hardy fails to tick the "local presenter" box. Fine. But I didn't see you complaining how "un-local" Nick Robins was, did I? So we must be consistent in our approach, if we want to be taken seriously, surely? It's the only way - to out-wit the tactics that BBC management will deploy - when you enquire.

So - for goodness sake - please keep doing that! This should be a general warning to everyone - sharpen your game, not your weapons - and by doing so, you will remain fair (but resolute) in your dealings with the BBC. Don't give up, as apathy is the greatest enemy of us all - if you can't be bothered, then the BBC win, but we ALL lose out.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter