Username:  Password: 
Login with Social Media Follow BBCRadioForum on Twitter

Author Topic:  Do you want the BBC, is it worth fighting for?  (Read 1587 times)

Tiger

• View Profile
Do you want the BBC, is it worth fighting for?
« on: March 16, 2014, 06:09:50 PM »
The BBC is now under serious threat, do not be mistaken about that.

There is a strong political move to destroy it. The likes of Murdoch are also in a queue to get rid of public service broadcasting and the crowd is gathering.

What would we have if the BBC went?

Well for a start we would not have BBC local radio and that is part of our democracy.

Also we would not have a national broadcaster that acts on behalf of the public that pays for it. We have a say now, but in the future if the BBC is privatised and put out to subscription we will not have a voice that we own. I think that matters very much.

We have David Elsein in the Times today, saying that the BBC should be subscription based. ie privately managed for profit. That is so wrong and very wrong for democracy. But does anyone care?

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
Re: Do you want the BBC, is it worth fighting for?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 06:53:26 PM »
I believe many people will care Tiger, I don't however believe that the majority of those that would are aware of the threat that looms.  The 'BBC' is not it's management.  The BBC is everyones favourite shows - some of those may even be on the television - and every single person who listens or watches, that is what the BBC is and why people will care.

Tiger

• View Profile
Re: Do you want the BBC, is it worth fighting for?
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 06:55:36 PM »
Yes, let us hope that Darcy,

You quoted Jack Seal writing for the Radio Times on another thread. I think it deserves much exposure so I will put it here as well.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2014-03-15/never-mind-saving-bbc3-the-bbc-itself-is-in-danger?ref=Article.RelatedNews

Peter Allen the 5 Live Drive presenter has also been speaking out, saying that we need to look after the BBC. I will link to the Times article, but that is not really representative of all he said and the way he said it to Stephen Armstrong interviewing Peter Allen for the Radio Times.

"Alex Spence Published at 12:01AM, March 18 2014
The BBC is flawed and featherbedded but should be protected, according to one of its longest-serving radio presenters.

Peter Allen, who hosts Radio 5 Lives afternoon Drive programme, is the latest BBC veteran to criticise the corporation publicly as a debate rages about its future.

Outsiders would see the BBC as featherbedded and to some extent I suppose thats true, Allen, who has been with the BBC for more than four decades, said in an interview with Radio Times. However, he also defended the public service broadcaster, saying: The BBC has many inadequacies and I share reservations about the place but we have to look after it. Ive presented a current affairs programme for 20 years and never once been told what to say or how to approach a story. I dont think there are many journalists in the world who can say that.

The BBCs size, scope and funding are also under scrutiny as it prepares for difficult negotiations with the Government about the renewal of its royal charter in 2017. Executives at the corporation are fighting to retain its 3.6 billion-a-year licence-fee funding and have warned that popular services will have to close if it is reduced.

Several BBC figures, including David Dimbleby and Jennifer Saunders, have spoken out about its size and bureaucracy, prompting warnings from senior executives that they have merely helped the BBCs commercial rivals.

However, John Humphrys, who has criticised the large number of senior managers and said that the BBC had not been sufficiently sceptical in its coverage of Europe, said this was nonsense and that presenters should be allowed to speak their minds."

The Times article is headlined as

"We're mollycoddled, says BBC presenter"

That headline is dishonest and does not in any way reflect what Peter Allen actually said in his article. He talks about a perception of featherbedding but goes on to talk about the hardwork of staff with little reward. (The feather beds and the molly coddles are for the big trousered executive, ok I said the last bit! Tiger eds)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter