Username:  Password: 
Login with Social Media Follow BBCRadioForum on Twitter

Author Topic:  Hamlet - Afternoon Play, 5 parter all this week  (Read 1783 times)

Albert

• View Profile
Hamlet - Afternoon Play, 5 parter all this week
« on: March 24, 2014, 06:45:41 PM »
Part 1 - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03xhkyv

I wasn't able to tune in this afternoon and here we are at 6:30pm and the Listen Again facility isn't available.

So, feeling more than a little peeved, I shall now air my prejudices against these multi-parters. Does the BBC really believe they can hook people in every afternoon for a week? Admittedly there will be some with that sort of time to spare but much as I generally enjoy the Afternoon Play, I have to work my life around it. And 5 days on the trot doing that is near impossible.

And when the iPlayer isn't available 4 hours later, that starts to get difficult.

I will give this play a chance (once BBC get round to giving me the opportunity). It had better be good. [insert Mr Angry Face here]

« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 06:48:03 PM by Albert »

Tiger

• View Profile
Re: Hamlet - Afternoon Play, 5 parter all this week
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 08:14:35 PM »
Hello Albert,

I am with you on these 5 parters, I assume it is to save money?

However, I will say that this started well and the radio is probably a good place for Hamlet, being so much about inner thoughts and the atmosphere created by the acting was pretty good.

And certainly anyone studying Hamlet for A level, this is a gift. I did many years ago so need to confess that, because I am not sure how it would play to those who do not know the play?

It is complemented by Natalie Haynes stands up for the classics(R4 4pm) looking at Petronius as a character,which was refreshing and inclusive.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03z2c0g

Not that you have to listen to that as well Albert! I am not trying to make this into homework..

My advice is to listen again and give it a go. And maybe the best way to listen is via the iplayer? Hamlet although profound and breath taking is not something that is going to be all warm and glowing on a wet afternoon!

I suppose at some point we will have to talk about  Radio 4s Character Invasion Season as well...

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 09:00:40 PM »
Part 1 - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03xhkyv

I wasn't able to tune in this afternoon and here we are at 6:30pm and the Listen Again facility isn't available.

So, feeling more than a little peeved, I shall now air my prejudices against these multi-parters. Does the BBC really believe they can hook people in every afternoon for a week? Admittedly there will be some with that sort of time to spare but much as I generally enjoy the Afternoon Play, I have to work my life around it. And 5 days on the trot doing that is near impossible.

And when the iPlayer isn't available 4 hours later, that starts to get difficult.

I will give this play a chance (once BBC get round to giving me the opportunity). It had better be good. [insert Mr Angry Face here]

Hello Albert, it's lovely to have you and your Mr Angry Face back in the forum again [insert Mr Smiley Face]

Can only agree with you, it seems I missed a cracking 3 parter last week but only because as soon as I see it's such my heart sinks in realisation that I'm unlikely to catch it all so I just don't bother.

Of course, there is always the information in this thread http://www.bbcradioforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=770.0 which may be of use on certain occasions.

Weirdly, there's an awful lot of content missing from the iPlayer so far today?

Albert

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 12:41:34 PM »
So, having not been able to listen to the first episode before the second was broadcast, I tried to pick this up yesterday afternoon.

I couldn't and I can't really see it would make any difference anyway.

Apparently, the lad Shakespeare did some good stuff but it was never my cup of tea and I didn't take to the delivery of this production.

So I'll be tuning back in to Steve Wright on BBC Radio 2 for the rest of this week's afternoons.

I did try.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter