Username:  Password: 
Login with Social Media Follow BBCRadioForum on Twitter

Author Topic:  DCMS Director Jon Zeff Off To BBC Trust  (Read 1497 times)

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
DCMS Director Jon Zeff Off To BBC Trust
« on: April 12, 2014, 07:05:24 PM »
With the coffee loving - on expenses - Nicholas Kroll retiring as Director of the BBC Trust after being grilled on both sides by the PAC, the search for a new one has been successful it would seem.

The new Director will be a member of the public, a retired librarian from Tintagel named Gladys.  No of course it won't.  It's Jon Zeff.  Who he?  You may well ask.  Well he's a director at the DCMS and his profile in the Telegraph in May 2012 went something like this...

This describes his new responsibilities as flexible resourcing and policy delivery, broadband, spectrum, mobile telecoms, digital TV switchover, BBC issues and oversight of press and communications.

After Jeremy Hunt took on his quasi-judicial role on the BSkyB bid, Mr Zeff led a small team overseeing the progress of the department's work on whether the 8 billion deal should go ahead.

Adam Smith, the special adviser who resigned over his contact with News Corp, says Mr Zeff was one of the other officials "providing information to and receiving information from" Frederic Michel, the company's chief lobbyist.

During Tony Blair's government, Mr Zeff's team at the department was responsible for overseeing the Communications Act, which relaxed media ownership laws.

The bill had a controversial "Murdoch" clause that would supposedly allow Rupert Murdoch or other newspaper owners to buy a terrestrial TV channel. Channel Five was eventually bought by Richard Desmond, the owner of the Express newspapers.

Mr Zeff has worked for DCMS for more than a decade, in policy and as head of the national lottery division. He previously worked in the former employment department and department for trade and industry.

!

Tiger

• View Profile
Re: DCMS Director Jon Zeff Off To BBC Trust
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 11:01:32 PM »
Oh no! Seriously?

I think there now needs to be some scrutiny about how Trust members are appointed. They are there to represent the licence fee payer.(I know! that is hard to believe!) It is time that the public has some say in that. The public are paying the wages of the Trust to represent the public in matters at the BBC that the public also pays for, therefore, I think the public probably needs to act now.

It was put to me a while ago by a BBC producer, that public opinion suggested that the Chairman of the BBC Trust should be elected, I think that is now valid and worth considering how to implement it.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter