Username:  Password: 
Login with Social Media Follow BBCRadioForum on Twitter

Author Topic:  Paxman accuses the BBC of being smug and unfair  (Read 1817 times)

Tiger

• View Profile
Paxman accuses the BBC of being smug and unfair
« on: April 17, 2014, 09:33:23 PM »
I know that this was reported in another thread yesterday, but it may have been missed. This is article in Times today. (I do not agree with what Jeremy says about BBC local radio, because unfortunately the commercial sector, in the most part, went for the money with good local radio and ended up with bland networking with no local character and I am not sure that he is right about Radio1? but I respect him for speaking out)

Paxman accuses the BBC of being smug and unfair

"Alex Spence Media Editor Times.
Published at 12:01AM, April 17 2014
Jeremy Paxman has attacked the BBC as complacent and accused it of exercising an unfair advantage over Britains online media.
The presenter of Newsnight and University Challenge is the latest BBC star to voice concerns about the way the broadcaster is run. John Humphrys, Jennifer Saunders and David Dimbleby have also spoken out in recent months.
In a newspaper interview, Paxman said that he was passionate about the BBC but had grown frustrated by its scale and corporate culture. He criticised the lavish payoffs given to former executives, suggested that the online news operation had overreached and even questioned the existence of Radio 1, its youth-oriented station.
It is smug. I love the BBC in many ways, but at the same time it has made me loathe aspects of it, and that is a very odd state of affairs, Paxman told The Guardian. Paxman, believed to be one of the BBCs highest-paid employees, added: When I see people being given 1 million merely for walking out of the door, when I see 100 million being blown on that DMI [digital media initiative] thing, a stupid technical initiative like that, I start wondering: how much longer are we going to test the publics patience?
Paxman told the newspaper that the BBC was too big and provided services that were better left to the commercial sector. Theres a pile of stuff on the BBC I cant stand . . . I dont quite understand why the BBC does Radio 1Xtra, I dont really understand why it does Radio 1.
He said that the BBCs news website had an unfair advantage over commercial publishers, which include The Times. And I dont think that has really been sufficiently grasped at a senior level, he said. It just happened, in the same way as has the proliferation of extra television channels, the proliferation of extra radio channels and going further back, the move into local radio.
Paxmans intervention comes after Humphrys said recently that the BBC had become far too big and overmanaged and Dimbleby argued that it should merge BBC Two and BBC Four.
The comments threaten to undermine the attempts by Lord Hall of Birkenhead, the director-general, to reform the corporation after a series of scandals. The BBC is bracing itself for a tough battle with politicians to retain its 3.6 billion a year in funding.
Danny Cohen, the BBCs director of TV, previously issued a plea to the BBCs stars to stop expressing criticism publicly, warning that it undermined attempts to reform the corporation and upset staff on the front line.
A spokesman for the BBC said of Paxmans comments about Radio 1: While Jeremy is entitled to his opinion, Radio 1 is incredibly important for young people, offering news, documentaries and social action alongside a distinctive range of music to a young audience who deserve high quality broadcasting just as much as older audiences.

Tiger

• View Profile
Re: Paxman accuses the BBC of being smug and unfair
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 09:41:16 PM »
Ben Cooper Controller of Radio1 and Radio1Xtra has replied in quite a fierce way to Jeremy Paxman's article. I agree with Ben Cooper when he defends Radio1, rightly saying that it covers news stories to engage the young and the documentaries that the station carries. The same argument applies in a different way to BBC local radio, which Paxman dismissed. The point about both of these radio services is the same one and a very important one and that is..That commercial radio has chased the money and is, in the main, bland and cheap and cares not about localness or news for the young. Paxman needs a slap on the wrist for being under researched on that key point. The competition is just not there , not because of the BBC, but because it is managed by advertising execs and accountants and the damage that has done to Radio is awful, not to mention the damage it has done to music.

I still applaud Paxman in speaking out about his concerns and many of them were spot on and Ben Cooper was a bit rude in telling Paxman to take the stairs..

Ben Cooper's rudeness is here..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2608192/Take-stairs-Paxo-Radio-1-chief-hits-Newsnight-host-says-lift-music-hell.html

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter