Username:  Password: 
Login with Social Media Follow BBCRadioForum on Twitter

Author Topic: BBC Merseyside Change of programme hours  (Read 2924 times)

Biddy hill

• View Profile
BBC Merseyside Change of programme hours
« on: April 28, 2014, 07:26:48 PM »
Last week Radio Merseyside implemented a new programme hours regime. I thought that it was just for the Easter break but I see that it must be permanent. Tony Snell now starts at 7am and runs through to 9-30am. Sean Styles starts at 9-30am and runs to 12noon. Roger Phillips show now runs from noon until 2pm. The hour 6-7am is now filled with Jenny Lee Summers.

Can someone put me right here? We had a change of hours for most programmes last year to save money. Is Jenny Lee Summers doing her hour for free or is she just part of the payroll and her contract covers this early morning programme. Secondly why are they still advertising Rogers phone in as 2 hours of your calls? They have knocked half an hour off his show and his conversation with a guest is now incorporated in the 2 hours 12-2. This leaves just 90 minutes of phone in time I don't recall the listeners being alerted to these changes in the run up to Easter does anyone else?

Rita

• View Profile
Re: Change of programme hours
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 08:36:35 PM »
Hello Biddy,
Sue Owen mentioned the changes a couple of weeks ago in her "Letters" spot on the 'phone-in. Jenny is a permanent member of the staff at Radio Merseyside, so it will form part of her working hours. The hours were changed so that she could present a show of her own.  She had "stood in" for a number of presenters before this change and had done well.  As far as the 'phone-in goes, they are trying out the new format to see if it works well, but the part with the guests will be monitored to see how it goes and could be changed if necessary.
If you recall, Lord Hall made a speech some time ago where he wanted more women presenting Breakfast programmes - so I suppose, this is a way of getting round it.  I can't comment on the new show, because I am not up and about so early.
I hope I've made things a little clearer for you.

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 10:38:08 PM »
Seems a real shame to lose half-an-hour of Rogers phone-in, always struck me as one of the best on the network.

Biddy hill

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 10:44:49 PM »
Thanks for that Rita. I never heard that broadcast about the changes by Sue Owen.

radiolad

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 05:25:12 PM »
I do not agree with this business of women taking over breakfast shows. The role should go to the BEST person for the job whether it be a man or woman. The breakfast show is the most important show on any station and should be presented by the best and most suitable presenter.

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 05:53:27 PM »
I do not agree with this business of women taking over breakfast shows. The role should go to the BEST person for the job whether it be a man or woman. The breakfast show is the most important show on any station and should be presented by the best and most suitable presenter.

Hi Radiolad, I don't believe it's about anyone taking over anything and is still about the best person etc. but there is an issue which is having to be addressed.  More discussion on it and related things here http://www.bbcradioforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=1010

Rita

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 06:08:00 PM »
Radiolad,

No-one has taken over the Breakfast Show on Radio Merseyside - it still continues to be presented by Tony Snell.
I agree with your comment that gender is nothing to do with anything as far as "gender" is concerned; indeed it always should be the best person for the job.  I would say that, in some cases, this does not happen, but it's my opinion against the Management opinion and what do I know?
I do let my opinion be known to Management if necessary an,to be fair to the Management at Radio Merseyside, for the majority of time they have always responded - not always in the way I want, but the important thing is, they have at least responded and do take my views on board, so I expect that applies to all listeners, not just to me and that"s how it should be - I am not more or less important than anyone else.  I think that's all I can ask for.  Sometimes you can get results, but you have to be patient.

radiolad

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 09:14:41 PM »
Radiolad,

No-one has taken over the Breakfast Show on Radio Merseyside - it still continues to be presented by Tony Snell.
I agree with your comment that gender is nothing to do with anything as far as "gender" is concerned; indeed it always should be the best person for the job.  I would say that, in some cases, this does not happen, but it's my opinion against the Management opinion and what do I know?
I do let my opinion be known to Management if necessary an,to be fair to the Management at Radio Merseyside, for the majority of time they have always responded - not always in the way I want, but the important thing is, they have at least responded and do take my views on board, so I expect that applies to all listeners, not just to me and that"s how it should be - I am not more or less important than anyone else.  I think that's all I can ask for.  Sometimes you can get results, but you have to be patient.
Rita, I realise this is not a change of breakfast presenter but it is probably not a coincidence that this change has happened after the comments of Lord Hall. I read that Radio York have just given their breakfast show to a female presenter. We have many excellent female presenters on my local station but the breakfast show presenter is a male because he is thought to be the best/most experienced presenter at the station - this is the way it should be.

Returning to the initial comments on this thread...I am surprised the station did not run trails to alert listeners of the changes, this is what normally happens.

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2014, 11:21:15 PM »
It should always be about the best presenter, there has been no doubt about that. The truth is that there are some male presenters out there  that could be much better and something does need to change, because those presenters are kept there by a male management that reflects itself. The only way that BBC local radio is going to survive is to reflect it's audience and that audience wants talented people from either sex and that should be the very best talent that it can find that reflects and engages with the local audiences.And there is no question that the talent must be considered from a level playing field of both sexes and then there will be a proper representation.

This is a difficult topic, because no one wants to be unkind to individuals, but sometimes for the sake of the service ,difficult decisions have to be made. I have to site an example of a mid morning show that has a competent male presenter, but that presenter fails to engage in any way with insight, empathy, humour or humanity and yet he still broadcasts in a sort of robotic way. He was replaced , for cover,recently by another presenter and the difference was incredible. She was excellent. Changes do need to be made and the audience needs to be represented properly. That will take bravery AND it needs to be managed well.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 11:45:28 PM by Tiger »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter