Username:  Password: 
Login with Social Media Follow BBCRadioForum on Twitter

Author Topic:  Burnham Questions BBC Balance  (Read 1191 times)

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
Burnham Questions BBC Balance
« on: May 24, 2014, 08:20:37 PM »
Shadow secretary of state for Health Andy Burnham has questioned the editorial balance in the BBC's recent political coverage.

Tweets below are self explanatory.

As were those of the BBC News Channel editor who was removed from election coverage duties after posting this very amusing tweet.

Wonder how this one will develop...

Tiger

• View Profile
Re: Burnham Questions BBC Balance
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 11:24:48 PM »
I am really not sure why Andy Burnham is now trying to blame the BBC?

He should actually be blaming Brown and Blair. That is the problem!!

The BBC, I believe, have delivered correctly they have not wavered from their remit which is to put those parties that have public support into their news and analysis and the scrutiny that they have put UKIP under has been fierce.

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
Re: Burnham Questions BBC Balance
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 07:38:01 PM »
I am really not sure why Andy Burnham is now trying to blame the BBC?

He should actually be blaming Brown and Blair. That is the problem!!

The BBC, I believe, have delivered correctly they have not wavered from their remit which is to put those parties that have public support into their news and analysis and the scrutiny that they have put UKIP under has been fierce.

I think we can undoubtedly add Alastair Campbell to that list. 

Hat tip to Bill Rogers for this:

Just a reminder of Ofcom's contribution to the current state of UK politics. In May last year, they deemed that UKIP, at least in England and Wales, had demonstrated "significant electoral support at the last two sets of European Parliament elections" and "significant current support" in opinion polls, sufficient to be declared a major party for the purposes of both election broadcasts and news and current affairs coverage.

It's impossible to untangle the European campaign from the rest of politics, so in England, we get a local government side-swipe, and in Scotland, where there was no direct UKIP election broadcast, the Farage effect delivers a 10% share of the Euro-vote north of the border; Salmond is fuming at this "Westminster effect". In Wales, UKIP get 28.1% of the vote, just pipped by Labour, and the UK-wide UKIP share stands at 27.5% as I write.

The broadcasting bean-counters have had to observe parity of appearances by the four "major parties" across the campaign; the smart UKIP manoeuvre was to make Brand Farage available for as many as possible - name three other UKIP spokespeople, apart from Winston in Croydon, if you can.

What will Ofcom do next ?  UKIP will want their status extended to the General Election. The Libdems, by Ofcom standards, may lose major party rights at Euro 2019. The Greens ought to be reconsidered, at least for consistency.

Undoubtedly there is always the danger when you give increased prominence to certain political views that if they are not correctly tested you run the risk of simply promoting them.  The extreme example of that being the now defunct Play Radio giving BNP deputy Simon Darby his own phone-in and allowing him control of the phones just before the last set of European elections.

Regardless, the likes of Andy need to be taking a long look at themselves and those around them in Westminister and question what is so wrong that the UK electorate are now voting in Viz characters.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter