Username:  Password: 
Login with Social Media Follow BBCRadioForum on Twitter

Author Topic:  BBC Stoke, Listeners concerns.  (Read 26839 times)

Tiger

• View Profile
BBC Stoke, Listeners concerns.
« on: June 03, 2014, 07:00:35 PM »
This thread should be used by Stoke listeners to express their concerns in a concise way. It will then be forwarded to BBC management for comment and reply

Dennis Marshall

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: BBC Stoke, Listeners concerns.
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 11:25:09 AM »
Many thanks Tiger, my chief concern has to be the surreptitious conversion Radio Stoke has undergone recently. Barely two years ago, listeners still had a multitude of choices, if they wished to 'Be Part of It'. In subsequent months, a great many were either systematically abolished, or diluted to be little more than a frivolous excuse in self-publicity.

Prior to the change of management, listeners were still actively encouraged to email their contributions, with many presenters having a bespoke email address, such as paula.stoke@bbc.co.uk or stuart.stoke@bbc.co.uk etc. A similar arrangement existed for peak-time shows, i.e: breakfast.stoke@bbc.co.uk or drivetime.stoke@bbc.co.uk etc.

Again these gradually disappeared, to be replaced by a one-size-ought-to-fit-all studi.stoke@bbc.co.uk address. Although initially promoted, around a year ago, this seldom receives mention now, leading this observer to question why all emails appear to be routed toward a central production (or management) direction?

Dennis Marshall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 03:00:02 PM »
My apologies for not managing this in one post! Another area of much concern is - what can only be described as - the selfish direction Radio Stoke chose to take in the last two years. This is exemplified in much of the promotional material aired incessantly in recent weeks, including one where a weekday presenter is joined on the phone - by his mother. Remarkably similar events occurred several times last year, leading this observer to question whether any valuable lessons have been learned.

Combined with the total removal of all chances to request any music - with the last (a monthly feature) Sunday Hymn Requests, disappearing quietly at the start of 2014 - listeners now have no realistic opportunities to help shape Radio Stoke's musical output. This sits most uncomfortably with the sterling efforts of neighbouring BBC local stations, who continue to welcome such, both with open arms - and email inboxes - whilst Radio Stoke affect a pretentious "only we can select the music" air of superiority.

It is unfortunate that an invaluable legacy, bequeathed by the previous management, has been squandered so thoughtlessly. It is especially unfortunate that a rich variety of weekend programming (that freely allowed listeners to actively participate) has now become something barely distinguishable from the routine weekday fare.

The incumbent management continue to labour under a pretence of there being no apparent appetite for music requesting. Their enforced removal of such has meant inevitably that off-peak Saturday programme content now differs little from the weekday mid-morning show. Never likely to prove popular, could this perhaps explain their reticence to adequately deal with listeners' queries? That is as much as I wish to say on these matters, as the deterioration is there for all to hear - every day.

Northoftheborder

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 04:49:56 PM »
Thanks also Tiger, for allowing us all our say. It might be nice if the BBC could actually take note of our concerns too, in the same way this forum does. Hope you do not mind bullet points, as I list key areas of dissatisfaction with a station that changed SO much:
  • A basic lack of respect for the input of their listeners. If this had previously been valued so much (prior to Spring 2012) as Radio Stoke's audience had often been told it was, then how have matters been allowed to decline so much, since then?

• A massive failure to understand wide-ranging audience concerns, having started to undermine what had been an impressive array of music request features - inherited when the new management arrived. Having removed so much (in so short a time) did you really expect no one to notice? Where was our right of reply - our chance to approach those in charge?

• A poor approach to altering established schedules and programming. Few reasonable listeners would wish to oppose change - if only it had been instigated in a fair and proper manner, with adequate chances to hold station decision-makers to account. Simple equation really, treat your audience with respect - and they will respect you for your positive stance.

• Huge chunks of what made this station both local AND proud seem to have disappeared. Established local voices got banished to the weekend, and had untried programme formats enforced upon them. These changes were so unworkable, they were constantly tampered with - and are still being tinkered with, over a year later. Which fails to inspire confidence in anyone.

• Can anyone seriously justify why a weekly film review now graces Saturday's mid-morning show? Can that tick ANY local radio boxes? If it's down to cost (and is the cheap, bought-in package that it sounds) then please be "up-front and honest" about this.

• An "up-front and honest" answer to the poor weekend music selection would also be much appreciated. Whilst it's not too much of a problem that weekdays are governed by a playlist - why did a once-special, Saturday morning listening event have to be ruined so much? Again, is it down to cost? If so, why do presenters seem to be given carte blanche to insert their own favourites?

• Relations between management and audience do not seem to be anywhere near those enjoyed by neighbouring stations. With this in mind, are higher management actively monitoring such matters?

radiolad

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 09:32:13 PM »
I am not a Stoke listener but have checked out a few of their shows after the complaints on here. The problem appears to be a lack of content with topics that could perhaps last for an hour dragging on for 3 hours. If it is true that the station is not accepting requests or ideas from listeners that is very poor for a BBC local station.

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 06:39:46 PM »
Thanks also Tiger, for allowing us all our say. It might be nice if the BBC could actually take note of our concerns too, in the same way this forum does. Hope you do not mind bullet points, as I list key areas of dissatisfaction with a station that changed SO much:
    • A basic lack of respect for the input of their listeners. If this had previously been valued so much (prior to Spring 2012) as Radio Stoke's audience had often been told it was, then how have matters been allowed to decline so much, since then?[/size]

• A massive failure to understand wide-ranging audience concerns, having started to undermine what had been an impressive array of music request features - inherited when the new management arrived. Having removed so much (in so short a time) did you really expect no one to notice? Where was our right of reply - our chance to approach those in charge?

• A poor approach to altering established schedules and programming. Few reasonable listeners would wish to oppose change - if only it had been instigated in a fair and proper manner, with adequate chances to hold station decision-makers to account. Simple equation really, treat your audience with respect - and they will respect you for your positive stance.

• Huge chunks of what made this station both local AND proud seem to have disappeared. Established local voices got banished to the weekend, and had untried programme formats enforced upon them. These changes were so unworkable, they were constantly tampered with - and are still being tinkered with, over a year later. Which fails to inspire confidence in anyone.

• Can anyone seriously justify why a weekly film review now graces Saturday's mid-morning show? Can that tick ANY local radio boxes? If it's down to cost (and is the cheap, bought-in package that it sounds) then please be "up-front and honest" about this.

• An "up-front and honest" answer to the poor weekend music selection would also be much appreciated. Whilst it's not too much of a problem that weekdays are governed by a playlist - why did a once-special, Saturday morning listening event have to be ruined so much? Again, is it down to cost? If so, why do presenters seem to be given carte blanche to insert their own favourites?

• Relations between management and audience do not seem to be anywhere near those enjoyed by neighbouring stations. With this in mind, are higher management actively monitoring such matters?

Thank you North, Dennis and Radiolad.  North, did you ever question the regional manager further on his negative response to the notion that Managing Editors might like to go on air and actually take calls and questions from listeners?
    « Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 06:41:26 PM by darcysarto »

Northoftheborder

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 04:36:18 PM »
    That's a very fair point (from our Forum's way of looking at things) but David Jennings' "reply" was so negative I thought I'd rest it a while, you know Darcy? As you may have subsequently gathered, I'm trying to scale the dizzying heights of BBC local radio management tiers. Fortunately, someone's provided an e-mail address for David Holdsworth, so that may be a future option for us.

In addition, when e-mailing Radio Merseyside's Roger Phillips show today, I also sent the same e-mail to his guest from the BBC Trust, Alison Hastings. Hopefully that'll succeed where the radio show wasn't able to? If she replies, I'll let you all know!

As a brief aside, without tracking it down, didn't the Head of BBC Waste Millions West Midlands quote something along the lines of "in his experience"? From what I can see, that experience is very limited, comprising barely five years at the BBC! Also bear in mind that his underling, Gary Andrews has NEVER held a Managing Editor role before, prior to his "reshaping" of Radio Stoke from 2012.

That's really not meant in an unkind way, as we all have to start somewhere, don't we? But surely it's vital the new boy receives adequate mentoring and support? Otherwise, who knows what kind of mess Staffordshire 'n' Cheshire's station will end up in??

Susie O

• View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #7 on: June 07, 2014, 02:55:06 PM »
    It's such a shame I hadn`t stumbled upon this Forum sooner. To be perfectly frank, Radio Stoke have taken their audience for such a ride over the last two years. It's quite possibly the biggest confidence trick of recent BBC history. Sorry if I'm not up to speed (and repeat something one of the other disgruntled listeners posted before) but so many changes were brought in, in such an underhand way (bordering on the dishonest) that it`s little wonder they`ve got away with so much already.

What we have to hope is that it`s not too late to make an impact. Although I have my doubts, as the way they stopped listeners from requesting any music was done so subtly that most listeners would struggle to notice. Most of my family were oblivious to it, as we`re not really the kind of listeners who ask for that sort of thing! But we did start to notice a few things: a steady flow of letters to Stoke`s own local paper (The Evening Sentinel) and there weren`t many good words said about the changes.

When someone else points out those sort of things it makes you sit up and listen (literally) and it`s amazing how much we`ve lost in such a short space of time. Notjust music requests, but the majority of what made Radio Stoke local and relevant to the area it broadcasts to. It used to be so special (in so many ways) but now it often feels like it`s lost its way - and lost much of the unique identity it had. That`s such a shame, and I so hope something can be done to halt this decline before it`s too late.

Sorry to be so negative, but we`re all quite worried about what`s gone on. Also the management stance (as outlined by others) is SO suspicious

Northoftheborder

• View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: June 08, 2014, 12:46:08 PM »
    It looks like a previous post (from Rustey) was NOT the only instance of an unhappy Radio Stoke listener having to take their grievance to BBC Audience Services. Further on, I've linked to what is yet another lengthy piece from them, but maybe a couple of points ought to be quoted here:

He requested an answer to the question he had repeatedly posed: Why have we now had all our chances to request music taken from us?

The complainant said that he was concerned that he was told that we are unable to address any new complaints and questions as part of his on-going complaint. He felt this demonstrated that the BBC could not defend the level of changes made, and it seemed to him that the BBC wanted to silence any further criticism.

The Panel agreed with the complainant, however, that his questions about the decision to remove the listener request features had not been addressed in the BBCs replies.

What saddens me (and many others) is that Radio Stoke's programming could be so much more, you know? If you doubt that, just examine the output of other BBC stations surrounding them! Maybe - like us - you perhaps recall actually hearing a variety of other listeners contributing their own musical suggestions to Radio Stoke. That's all vanished now (they cannot even request hymns, once a month) but continues to be an integral part of several weekend shows at Radio Merseyside - so why the yawning gulf in audience participation?

Isn't there a common approach to listener interaction? Or is this just a vague area of unspecified "interpretation", which regrettably allows ruthlessly-ambitious editors and managers to further their own BBC career path, at the expense of the poor audience - those who this unique service was supposedly set up for?

Thanks to Susie for getting on board with us! It's not you that's at all negative, my love - but an uncaring management that fails to respond to many, many concerns, isn't it? So, so true what Radiolad said, too. Sub-standard content is dragged out endlessly, which only serves to heighten how much they desperately need our help! That's not just a rant from someone who failed to get their material accepted either, as both me and my creative sister-in-law used to marvel at how much more inventive other listeners used to be (when requesting was still )!

As promised, that link to BBC Complaints (our area of interest starts at page seven): http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/assets/files/pdf/appeals/cab/dec_2013.pdf

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: June 09, 2014, 10:43:40 PM »
    As promised, that link to BBC Complaints (our area of interest starts at page seven): http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/assets/files/pdf/appeals/cab/dec_2013.pdf

So if I'm reading this correctly North - and it is late - the Trust have ruled that in the case of the complaint about listener requests disappearing from the Saturday morning show the Complaints department must re-visit the issue and garner a more comprehensive and reasonable explanation from BBC Stoke?

Northoftheborder

• View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: June 14, 2014, 02:46:20 PM »
    Well er, yes - and no, Darcy! In a real world (much like yours and mine) the BBC Trust would say jump, and what we're supposed to call BBC Audience Services could only respond: how high?

But in the unique fantasy world inhabited by this vast empire, it looks like BBC stands for bewilderment, befuddlement and confusion! I know, as I've had to plough through similar lengthy pieces from BBC Complaints with my sister-in-law. For some reason, her appeal failed to make the grade, so never appeared on-line. It was while fruitlessly searching for it that we came across the chap's complaint (as linked previously)!

In short, we both presume our poor defenceless listener would have had to start all over again, submitting a "fresh" complaint about the removal of all listener requests. In the subsequent months since the dates quoted (in the BBC summary of his grievance) things deteriorated even further, with the final straw being the axing of the monthly "Hymn Requests" slot, about six months ago.

So to finish - as Tiger said keep it concise! - I think we need to consider this: Rustey's friend complained about what were quite astounding "irregularities" (with Radio Stoke's Saturday mid-morning show) just over a year ago. As anyone reading the part of this forum (where she posted it) can see - although her friend took it as far as he could - the BBC went to great lengths to bury this complaint, basically claiming they'd "done nothing wrong".

Not that long after, another listener makes a differing complaint, about the replacement show - in the exact same time slot. Once again, the mighty BBC Complaints machine destroyed what look like fairly valid points, to us. Then there was my sister-in-law's rejected appeal, wasn't there?

Doesn't look like too many satisfied listeners in this particular area of BBC local radio, does it? Not to mention all those letters printed in Stoke's local press - as the BBC's station management has been SO conspicuous by their complete absence, over two years now. We can't all be wrong, can we?
    « Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 02:49:37 PM by Northoftheborder »

Dennis Marshall

• View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #11 on: June 20, 2014, 02:42:24 PM »
    Yet another disgruntled listener has taken to the letters column of Stoke-on-Trent's daily paper, the Evening Sentinel, just days ago:
    RADIO Stoke has once again demonstrated its contempt for the elderly listener, in particular those who were around and possibly served during the last world war.

During June 6, as part of the 70th anniversary tribute to the Normandy Invasion, a number of tributes were paid, and former servicemen were interviewed, which was very poignant. However, at no time was there any music played that would have been recognised or remembered by these veterans.

There was nothing by Dame Vera Lynn, even though she currently has an album of her wartime hits in the charts.

Nothing by Glen Miller or George Formby, who all helped to raise morale during those difficult times, and not even a regimental march by one of the military bands.

All we had was the usual popular music, which I felt was both insulting and inappropriate.

The BBC, the managers, producers and presenters should be reprimanded for not being more sensitive.

DAVID HEATH Audley

Read more: http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/Radio-showed-lack-respect/story-21234882-detail/story.html#ixzz35BoJ1Oxs

In (partial) defence of Radio Stoke, this observer did note the playing of 'Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy of Company B' during James Watt's afternoon show, although as this was a 'modern' reinterpretation by Imelda May, it 'may' not have met with the approval of older listeners.

Perhaps the total ban on listener requests played a not-inconsiderable part in matters, too. On 6th June, my attention turned to Radio Merseyside's incomparable 'Roger Phillips Phone-in'. Whilst this two-hour programme does not feature any music, quite some time was given over (in the second hour) to various D-Day reminiscences.

Once more, it would appear that listeners on Merseyside enjoy a vastly superior local radio experience (as well as one that they can actively partake in).

Susie O

• View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #12 on: June 21, 2014, 02:38:34 PM »
    Around this time last year, it looked like there were two or three letters a week to the Sentinel, nearly all of them complaining about the changes Radio Stoke made. This was just after the paper had made several big splashes, about what happened on Paula White`s last lunchtime show. After another month, I wrote to them saying how upset I was, at how many things had been taken off us. Although they printed my email, they edited it rather too much and quite a lot of my points were lost. I didn`t send them anything else until the end of October, after poor Paula didn`t finish what turned out to be her last ever show on Radio Stoke.

This time the Evening Sentinel treated things ever so differently, and never mentioned anything about what had happened to Paula (at all) even though it had been reported in three national newspapers. But they did take my next email, with just bit of editing. This is what got printed, at the start of last November:

Radio station in need of remedy

It upset me to hear Paula White would not be presenting her Saturday morning show for a while.

All the listeners were told is that she's 'not well'.

However, I'm not quite sure if it is Paula who is unwell or the whole radio station.

Paula's weekday show was such enjoyable listening, and always sounded so friendly. But it was taken off us with next to no notice.

The new Saturday morning shows have been such a disappointment to many listeners.

This time last year we had half a dozen different ways to choose such a wide variety of our favourite music. But now we have been left with nothing.

I can still remember Stuart George's words (back in January) when he told us it that would be his last Saturday morning show.

He thanked all his listeners for helping him put together what had not been his show but their own show.

But by the time Paula took it over in June, she never asked us for any music requests. I never think Paula sounded quite happy with this.

Of course, our thoughts must all be with her, but now I hope the management will reconsider the mess they made of the Saturday morning shows.

Our licence fee pays their wages, but they cannot even let us have four or five requests, just once a week.

I think it`s worth showing you what they edited out:

...I`m not quite sure if it is Paula who is unwell - or the whole radio station. In the last fortnight a couple of listeners wrote to you, complaining about Radio Stoke's football coverage. Although it`s not something I often listen to, I know many others depend on their local radio station to cover their local team.

If you can`t rely on the BBC to accurately cover local events - as they happen - any more, then just who can you rely on?

Paula`s weekday show was such enjoyable listening, and always sounded so friendly. But it was taken off us with next to no notice. Not to worry though - sometimes change comes along for a reason. As I also loved the greater choice of music on a Saturday morning, and Paula used to manage to fit a few music requests in, maybe things weren`t so bad after all.

But the new Saturday morning shows have been such a disappointment, to many listeners... ...by the time Paula took it over in June, she never asked us for any music requests - at all - and you only ever really got the same few records already heard during the week.

There`s nothing else to add to that. I`m one of very many people who miss hearing poor Paula White ever so much. The guy who eventually took over from her just doesn`t cut it, and is a real turn-off. Literally. What a mess, compared to how it used to be.

Dennis Marshall

• View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #13 on: June 26, 2014, 05:30:35 PM »
    If you can`t rely on the BBC to accurately cover local events - as they happen - any more, then just who can you rely on?

Quite. Recent weeks have seen two well-established events occur in the north of Radio Stoke's broadcast area. One of these, Congleton's annual Food & Drink Festival was held on Sunday, 15th June so may not have proved so easy for the station to feature. However, the magnitude of this event necessitates several all-day road closures in the town, so it was with some amazement that this observer noted a complete failure of the station's 'Travel You Can Trust' bulletins, to ever mention this.

Also held the same weekend was Middlewich's annual Folk and Boat Festival, a popular event held for several years now. In recent times this has stretched over three days - and has previously warranted coverage by Radio Stoke, on at least the Saturday. But this was not the case this year, with not a single mention ever heard.

Despite this, the four hour 'Summer Saturday' show managed to visit several smaller venues, in a programme interestingly sub-titled "Music and summer events in Staffordshire". Among other 'delights', listeners were promised: "and we join the queues waiting for Rod Stewart's gig at Britannia Stadium". http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02050wx

Even if the failure to give the slightest mention - of either of these sizeable events - could have been dubiously excused on the flimsy pretext of 'editorial merit', the following day was especially noteworthy. Two friends reported that Congleton's main link to the northbound M6 motorway, the A54, was closed all day. Having enquired with family members living in the area, I discovered this had been for scheduled Cheshire Highways resurfacing works.

Yet again, Radiio Stoke failed to make any mention of these road works. A similar omission occurred earlier in the year. Despite reporting my displeasure to BBC Audience Services , I've yet to receive a satisfactory response.

The station's Service Licence appears to be being exceptionally poorly observed, in my opinion.

Susie O

• View Profile
      • Email
    « Reply #14 on: June 28, 2014, 02:54:46 PM »
    It`s not too much to expect a local radio station to let its listeners take part in some of the weekend`s music, is it? That`s how Radio Stoke was, especially each Saturday morning. I think others already told you how enjoyable this show often used to be (like in my last post) But all that was killed off during the first half of last year, just so`s they could force Paula White into this slot, with what they called new features.

None of these features can have been much good, as most of them only lasted six months. Radio Stoke must be dead short of inspiration, as they ended up bringing back Six Songs In 6 Seconds, earlier this year. That`s the weekly game they suddenly stopped, exactly a year ago this month. When it used to be on, listeners could suggest their own linked topics (and music) but that doesn`t happen now. Still it does give Saturday morning listeners something to play along with, which is the closest you`ll ever get to Being Part Of It now.

But we didn`t even have that pleasure, this week. Den, the guy who took over after Paula White never came back, seems to be on holiday this week. Instead, we had to put up with that useless presenter they poached (Stoke`s commercial station, Signal 1) last year. I was expecting the worse, as the last time Perry Spiller stood in on this show, it was genuinely terrible. Three hours, mostly spent talking about himself, with very few proper invitations for the audience to meaningfully take part. No invitations for them to e.mail him (and certainly no reminders of the e.mail address). But he couldn`t go more than ten minutes without reading something off Facebook.

But this time was even worse. No sign of Six songs in 6 Seconds. No reasons given for its absence. No promise of when (or if) it`ll come back. The last time Perry Spiller did this show, they had been doing a quiz (the weeks before) which had started when Paula got forced onto weekends. But when he was on, no sign of this game. No reason given for why it was missing. No promises made over when it would return. It never came back, and vanished into the same black hole that all the listener requests had. So you might understand why I`m not too convinced about Radio Stoke's honesty, over their once-unmissable Saturday show.

As if that wasn`t bad enough, most of the first hour was taken with Perry asking if anyone knew of any family-friendly eating places (for his own family to visit). As you can guess, it just ended up as one long, boring list of restaurants, mostly in Staffordshire. Is this really why we pay our licence fee, just to promote others`commercial business ventures? I`ve heard some desparate excuses for taking part in local radio broadcasts, but this takes the biscuit. So selfish, and so very wrong. And all at our expense.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter