Username:  Password: 
Login with Social Media Follow BBCRadioForum on Twitter

Author Topic:  Tony Blackburn celebrates 50 years on the radio  (Read 2431 times)

Rita

• View Profile
Tony Blackburn celebrates 50 years on the radio
« on: June 10, 2014, 09:44:03 PM »
Congratulations to Tony Blackburn on celebrating 50 years on the radio.  There is an article about him in the Daily Express today, 10th June which is excellent.
Interesting too that it says that after 50 years on the airwaves, he still gets a thrill from doing live radio.  "It's great when there's this interaction with listeners, reading out their messages and tweets.  When you're doing it live you can mention the weather.  I often say how nice or bad it is in London and then someone gets in touch to say that it's very different in another part of the country".
It's a pity some Managing Editors from local radio stations don't take note about interaction - I think Radio Merseyside has got it just about right and that's why they are successful - because it has been and still continues to be one of their strengths and has made it the most listened to local radio station outside of London.  I don't think I need to say more.

Tiger

• View Profile
Re: Tony Blackburn celebrates 50 years on the radio
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 10:57:27 PM »
Thankyou, Rita,

It should be very clear that BBC local radio is about interaction and local empowerment.

BBC Merseyside does this because of it's audience and the skill of its' presenters.

It is the station that continues to be vibrant and guards the fire for BBC local radio.

It is a huge shame that other stations are failing under weak management. At a time when BBC local radio needs to demonstrate that it has a place in the next charter, that time is running out for the case to be made  for a robust survival of a very strong BBC local radio service.

The stations need to up their game and be ruthless. No more lazy stuff and no more lazy presenters . Get on the local stories or the national ones even and start delivering. And gather the evidence that you are doing that and start presenting that to BBC Suits  asap

The public will support that.

mel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 12:06:42 AM »
I totally agree with everything said about Tony. He`s said many times he would never do a "voice-tract" show because he needs the interaction with the public.

Maybe that's the reason he has had such a long broadcasting career and is still working on so many stations national and local.

His Sunday show on BBC London has become an institution and loved by anyone who`s into motown and soul.

In fact his show is the only "music only" show I listen to on radio. It could be because I like the music but also his fun personality.

JustJohn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 12:14:15 PM »
Tony will be on the Ken Bruce show next week 15th sept choosing his "Track of my Years" should be a good listen,

Caledonia

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2015, 08:01:31 AM »
Tony is on the money.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter