Username:  Password: 
Login with Social Media Follow BBCRadioForum on Twitter

Author Topic:  The public have a right to know how the next Chair of the BBC Trust is chosen  (Read 10101 times)

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
The search for the new Chair seems to reaching new depths - or heights? - of farce as DCMS Committee member, Conor Burns, accuses that the process has been 'interfered with massively' by the government

Oddly, despite the widely reported tip-offs that Sebastian Coe was going to be gifted the job, Burns seems to believe it's a diversity problem, with the government determined to appoint a woman?

Whilst I think it's no secret there has been massive meddling, this would appear to be a bizarre new line?  Described as ' a leading member of the culture, media and sport select committee' - I can't help wondering whether he has a clue as to what's been going on?

Rita

• View Profile
Seen in a national paper this morning (Sunday)

MP's BBC boss anger

"A Tory MP has claimed his party is "interfering" in the appointment of a new BBC Trust chairman to replace Lord Patten.
Speaking at the Edinburgh International Television Festival yesterday, Conor Burns, who sits on the Culture Select Committee, said "The appointment is being interfered with and I regret that. I have serious concerns about the way it has been handled by the Government".
Chris Patten, who appointed the ill-fated Director General, George Entwistle, stepped down from the role recently, due to ill-health.  The interim chairwoman is Diane Coyle but few candidates have emerged for the post.

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
Seen in a national paper this morning (Sunday)

MP's BBC boss anger

"A Tory MP has claimed his party is "interfering" in the appointment of a new BBC Trust chairman to replace Lord Patten.
Speaking at the Edinburgh International Television Festival yesterday, Conor Burns, who sits on the Culture Select Committee, said "The appointment is being interfered with and I regret that. I have serious concerns about the way it has been handled by the Government".
Chris Patten, who appointed the ill-fated Director General, George Entwistle, stepped down from the role recently, due to ill-health.  The interim chairwoman is Diane Coyle but few candidates have emerged for the post.

Thank you Rita, yes and let's not forget we are paying for all these goings on, we will pay for the Chair, the wages of all those involved in selecting them and piles of cash to people who hunt heads.

Patten meanwhile, seemed to make a recovery of biblical proportions and is now off spinning at the Vatican.

Tiger

• View Profile
Yes, good for Conor Burns! and thankyou Rita for posting this.

I will send him all my long email chains regarding this appointment, which have challenged the handling of this appointment over several months. At least I have someone to keep me company now! This has been very hard work.

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
Re: The public have a right to know how the next Chair of the BBC Trust is chosen
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2014, 08:09:54 PM »
It would appear that David Normington took umbrage with the Guardian's editorial the other day and has written to complain.

It may surprise you to know that, contrary to the impression given in your editorial (1 September), Rona Fairhead's nomination as chair of the BBC Trust followed a fair and open competition, which met the requirements of my published code of practice on public appointments. There was no 'obscure' appointment process. The post was advertised in the national press. We were open about the process, the timetable and the membership of the appointments panel. Anyone who wanted could get hold of the detailed requirements of the role. From the day of advertising to the announcement of the outcome took just over three months, not unusual for an appointment of this importance. The panel was chaired by one of my public appointments assessors, not by Jeremy Heywood. The assessor's role throughout was to ensure the panel ignored the noises-off in the media and to judge the candidates against the published criteria. The appointment was characterised by a high degree of media speculation, most of it inaccurate, about who was in the frame. Rona Fairhead won this process fair and square. Not because she was a woman. Not because she is a crony. But because she was judged by an independent panel and then by the secretary of state and the prime minister to be an excellent candidate for the job.
David Normington
Commissioner for Public Appointments

Tiger

• View Profile
Re: The public have a right to know how the next Chair of the BBC Trust is chosen
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2014, 08:48:55 PM »
The incoming chair, will be interviewed on the public behalf by MPs tomorrow at 10.30.

The Forum will run a live timeline. We do not come from any interest apart from the public one.

I agree with Peter Preston in the Guardian that is actually those behind her appointment that should be up before the MPs

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/sep/07/rona-fairhead-grill-nominators-not-nominee-bbc-trust

These MPs should be the people that we trust to put the best person in post to look after the public whether they can do that remains to be proved.? It is absolutely what they are charged with. The BBC Trust and the BBC represent democracy. That has been damaged and the interview process tomorrow will need to show that the issue of public trust has been grasped, by those questioning and the candidate answering .

This has been a very shabby process so far, Javid has been shown up to be little more than an Osborne puppet. The civil servants who are highly paid to ensure integrity, changed the job description at the last minute to facilitate Seb Coe and saying, unforgivably that this important post could be discharged in 2 days a week? Then they lost him anyway. A complete disgrace. Which will be taken further. I have been told that there were candidates excluded at that point of considerable value.

Ok, back to Rona Fairhead. I am not sure that I like the idea that she is already making money out of the BBC with her shares and links to the Pearson Group. Basically BBC sold lots of their programs in a partnership with Pearson ( called BBC Active) and the major partner, Pearson makes huge profit selling programs that were funded by the licence fee to publicly funded organisations. A double disgrace! That money goes into the pockets of Rona and others like her. It should go back to the licence fee and to you and me. And a lot of those programs that have been sold are firmly in the public interest. For example "Care Home Kid" presented by Neil Morrissey in 2011 covered issues of child abuse. The BBC cannot show it again, because they sold it and the profits are going to a private global company, Pearson.

Is that right?

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter