Username:  Password: 
Login with Social Media Follow BBCRadioForum on Twitter

Author Topic:  Rajar Q2 2014. Heavy loss of listeners to some BBC local stations.  (Read 2426 times)

Tiger

• View Profile
I am sorry to have been late with putting my anorak on.

Best place for results is here.

http://radiotoday.co.uk/2014/05/rajar-radiotodays-local-radio-round-up/

Just go to the BBC stations page.

There are some very depressing results here.

BBC 3 Counties and BBC Stoke are headline news.

It is no coincidence that these are the stations that listeners have raised red flags about on this Forum for a considerable time. The failure of the managing editors of those stations to respond correctly to emails speaks volumes.

It is also noted that there is a general downturn in listenership. Please look back at previous threads over the last 2 years where I have put that to David Holdsworth. There is no doubt that the commissioning of an All England Show in peak time evening listening has had an impact on listening figures. Many valued shows have been dumped in favour of a networked show. That means that listeners will go elsewhere. I see that trend in urban and rural areas. I will send email to David Holdsworth tomorrow and will publish here. I will ask for the figs for the All England Show and request where that is impacting critically.

It is sad to see that BBC Devon is really struggling and that BBC Nottingham is on a decline as is BBC Glos.

I have to say that it is depressing to see the figs for Radio Merseyside, this is the flagship station. The worst rajar for a while. I expect it is related to the All England Show? Will have to see what David Holdsworth says.

Good news, however for BBC London, well done!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 11:21:44 PM by Tiger »

radiolad

• View Profile
    • Email
Also congratulations to Radio Leicester - figures they have not seen the likes of for many years.

Biddy hill

• View Profile
I am not surprised about R. Merseyside figures being down. Since the cutbacks it is trying to fit a quart into a pint pot. Both Roger Phillips and Billy Butler have had their time slots cut and it just doesn't work. Whereas I would listen to Billy up to 5pm I now find myself switching off at 3pm despite his show going on until 4pm. In an effort to get everything into his show it has become a very rushed show and often bits fall off the end of the show! Tony Snell's programme has also changed cutting into Sean Styles programme. I don't really want to hear a news/issues programme at 4pm so I never listen to it. The Mark Forrest programme I can't be bothered with either. 

Rita

• View Profile
Hi Biddy, I will try and explain a little of what is happening at Radio Merseyside and I hope I can make myself clear to you.  Billy Butler had his afternoon show cut by an hour; I think this was to accommodate the Mark Forrest show so that everything else would fit in, which included the "Drive time" show which now commences at 4.00 p.m. instead of 5.00 p.m.  and finishes at 6.00 p.m. From 6.00 p.m. - 7.00 p.m. it is all to do with sport (mainly football), followed by the All England Show and then "Late Night Live".  The last two offerings do nothing for me I'm afraid to say, so I, like you, don't tune in.
You will probably know that Lord Hall, the Director General, wanted more women involved in the "Breakfast Shows" on all local radio stations and there Radio Merseyside were very clever; so now from 6.00 a.m. - 7.00 a.m. Jenny Lee Summers hosts a pre-Breakfast show, which meant Tony Snell losing half-an-hour, Sean Styles staying the same and Roger Phillips losing half-an-hour.  As far as the 'phone-in was concerned, when it came on at 11.30 a.m. there was half an hour of discussions with invited guests, followed by the news and then the 'phone-in.  Despite Roger losing the half-hour, the discussions still continued from noon for half-an-hour, thus giving the listeners half-an-hour less to 'phone in to the programme.  However listeners complained about this and now the half hour of discussion with the guests has disappeared, so the listeners have got an extra half-hour to 'phone in if they want to.
I hope you are still with me!
From this Sunday, there will now be another change.  Frankie Connor will be presenting a show from 11.00 a.m. until 2.00 p.m. (replacing Jason Hardy who has now left the station) and Jimmy McCracken will be presenting a show from 2.00 p.m. to 4.00 p.m. (football permitting). 
Personally, I think the Mark Forrest show has done some damage, because I don't think many people in our area listen to it much. 
Apart from the 'phone-in, I listen to very little on weekdays.  My main listening time is at the weekends as I much prefer some of the shows that are "on air" then and that is my choice. 
For every listener, it is a matter of choice.  I really like Frankie's shows, but, unfortunately I will now only be able to catch the last hour, because of other commitments, but I intend to "play it again"on the iPlayer when it appears.
It will be interesting to hear what David Holdsworth has to say about all this, but I believe, as usual, he will just sit on the fence!

Dennis Marshall

• View Profile
    • Email
Quite possibly the case Rita. Although Forrest's programe occasionally has its moments, they are few and far between. Without doubt, there is little that is likely to persuade many average afficionados (of truly local broadcasting) to make a regular date with this homogenised mess. The link below should substantiate your findings:

http://radiotoday.co.uk/2014/08/national-bbc-local-show-sheds-listeners/    Quelle surprise.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter