Username:  Password: 
Login with Social Media Follow BBCRadioForum on Twitter

Author Topic:  Rona Fairhead to be New Chair Of BBC Trust  (Read 2361 times)

Tiger

• View Profile
Rona Fairhead to be New Chair Of BBC Trust
« on: August 31, 2014, 08:41:56 AM »
Who she?

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/aug/31/rona-fairhead-new-chair-bbc-trust

http://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/the-downton-set-meet-the-high-class-cast-6359973.html

Hmmm. Well this is "Government preferred candidate" So the appointment process was a farce then? And she has not even been interviewed by the DCMS committee yet?!

But she is a high flying  Banker who has had a pay off of over a million and no experience of public service broadcasting or the media so she must be ideal!! She is also from the Pearson Group will explain more on that later.

Rita

• View Profile
Re: Rona Fairhead to be New Chair Of BBC Trust
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 12:40:39 PM »
Sorry Tiger, Am I losing it a bit here - how can someone who has NO EXPERIENCE of public service broadcasting or the media be an acceptable candidate for the job? How can she know anything about the workings of local radio?  I wonder if she has ever listened to a local radio station in her life?  I expect the answer to that will be NO.  So we have now gone from the frying pan into the fire, as the saying goes.  She will be as bad as (if not worse) than Lord Patten and I suspect that none of our queries or concerns will be dealt with in the way they should be.  But, hold on a minute, she is a Banker - so perhaps she will be able to advise how more funding can find its way into local radio, for all the sterling work it does in all parts of the country and also, in the main, has excellent presenters to keep us informed about what is going on in the area of the country in which we live and also provide high quality presenters to entertain us (and bear in mind I am just talking about my own excellent station, Radio Merseyside, and quote one of its presenters "Your input is our output" - which says it all I think - as this is a station that cares about its listeners and encourages them to keep in contact - which is one of its strengths and why it is so very popular.
Things seem to be going from bad to worse!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 12:43:20 PM by Rita »

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 09:44:27 PM »
Rita, I am not sure what to say to you. You care very much about public service broadcasting and Radio Merseyside and there are many many like you. This appointment is a political one which suits the agenda. It has nothing whatsoever to do with the best person to look after the future of the BBC it is about power. That is very wrong . I have tried my best to hold those in charge of this public appointment to account throughout the process and there are still replies awaited. What I can tell you is that there were candidates who have a public profile and experience of working within the BBC who did not make it even to interview, those candidates cared deeply about the BBC. But unfortunately were not friends with George Osborne(the puppet master for the rather weak looking Sajid Javid this has not been a good exercise at all for him, what with the Seb Coe debacle)

Rona Fairhead still has to face the DCMS Committee next week, on 9/9/2014. She will be interviewed by MPs on the public behalf. I suggest that you put in a couple of questions to your MP to pass on and I would encourage others to do the same. The interview will be on stream. She already has some questions to answer. I refer to newspaper reports today about money laundering at HSBC and her payoffs from Pearson. There is more but will leave that until published. In meantime.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2739365/City-executive-set-BBC-s-female-chairman-face-grilling-MPs-role-HSBC.html

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 09:40:55 PM »
Well the MPs on the DCMS committee clearly have quite a task next week in questioning Rona Fairhead. New revalations in Private Eye today about tax avoidance whilst at Pearson. I am pretty sure there is more to come. In meantime poor old Tessa Jowell, trusting and naive sends this message to Rona via the Media Show and happily for me(excusing me from further precis) reported by the Media Guardian. Hope Tessa knows that Rona is a bf of George Osborne?

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/sep/03/bbc-trust-chair-firewall-licence-fee-tessa-jowell

Tessa is right, of course, but she could have done a bit more to protect the Trust and I remember reading that she supported Seb Coe as Chair.(sometimes you just have to place head in hands!)

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 09:41:42 AM »
So having come through her quizzing by the DCMS committee and approved unanimously Rona will be taking up her role shortly.

A new broom who seemed - in front of the committee at least - to want to be the licence payers representative, something Chris Patten never really got to grips with.  Whilst, as Private Eye puts it (well worth a read), she has managed to sweep her old crap under the carpet, one has to remain optimistic - for the very future of public service broadcasting - that Rona will be shining some lights into the dusty corners and making good on her words or everything may just go Cillet Bang!

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 07:03:48 PM »
It is probably useful to link this to her actual appearance before MPs on our behalf. Just for the fact that is was another 3 hours of my life reporting it!

It is important to see how she answers. Although I agree there are potential concerns.

http://www.bbclocalradioforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=1224.msg7610;topicseen#msg7610

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 01:55:08 PM »
It is probably useful to link this to her actual appearance before MPs on our behalf. Just for the fact that is was another 3 hours of my life reporting it!

It is important to see how she answers. Although I agree there are potential concerns.

http://www.bbclocalradioforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=1224.msg7610;topicseen#msg7610

Indeed it is very useful, which is why I did do this link to it!

So having come through her quizzing by the DCMS committee and approved unanimously Rona will be taking up her role shortly.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter