Username:  Password: 
Login with Social Media Follow BBCRadioForum on Twitter

Author Topic:  The BBC in Scotland; if the vote is YES .  (Read 4101 times)

Tiger

• View Profile
The BBC in Scotland; if the vote is YES .
« on: September 10, 2014, 10:13:31 PM »
What will happen to the BBC in an independent Scotland?

http://www.yesscotland.net/answers/what-will-happen-bbc

I understand that the BBC is wary to enter the debate about its future in Scotland at the moment because it has to deliver impartiality. But the public will need some idea about how a public service broadcaster will still operate in Scotland to represent the public and report.

Only info I can find at the moment is from the Yes campaign. Other info welcome.

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
Re: The BBC in Scotland; if the vote is YES .
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 09:23:28 PM »
Sir Christopher Bland suggested earlier this week that the SNP would set up it's own public service broadcaster.

Given his numerous run-ins with the BBC and the BBC's own recent history and trust issues, this doesn't come as too great a surprise.

And possibly won't come as a surprise to former Newsnight economics reporter Paul Mason who was rather scathing earlier today according to Meirion Jones:

What may surely be true is that regardless of the result next Thursday the push has started to devolving power regionally and that will mean more comprehensive and stronger local journalism is going to be a requirement in the future?

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 07:52:30 PM »
I have to say on a personal level I'm enjoying the PM Should Scotland Be An Independent Country Desk Of News, at the very least it keeps down the level of panda voyeurism...

Meanwhile, the campaigning continues and not for the first time in the last few weeks crowds protests against 'BBC bias'.

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 09:35:50 PM »
There is no doubt that Scotland under SNP will form its own PSB with a licence fee to fund it. That is a given. It is to be called the Scottish Broadcasting Service.  And there would have to be negotiation with the BBC about whether a fair trade could exist between the SBS and the BBC about use of the iplayer and discounted rates for BBC programs.

No doubt at all that the BBC would lose a lot of it's revenue. John Birt even saying it could lose up to a quarter and on top of other needs to cut and that would be devastating . reported in Radio Times.

It is certainly true that Scotland is expensive to run, because of it's wide spread geography. Which would then be a prob for Scotland itself to address.

The BBC cannot comment on this, because it may impact impartiality issues.

This is article by Ben Bradshaw DCMS committee in Guardian. Possibly leaking a BBC view?

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/sep/11/independent-scotland-bbc-license-fee-impartiality

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 08:56:19 PM »
There is no doubt that Scotland under SNP will form its own PSB with a licence fee to fund it. That is a given. It is to be called the Scottish Broadcasting Service.  And there would have to be negotiation with the BBC about whether a fair trade could exist between the SBS and the BBC about use of the iplayer and discounted rates for BBC programs.

No doubt at all that the BBC would lose a lot of it's revenue. John Birt even saying it could lose up to a quarter and on top of other needs to cut and that would be devastating . reported in Radio Times.

It is certainly true that Scotland is expensive to run, because of it's wide spread geography. Which would then be a prob for Scotland itself to address.

The BBC cannot comment on this, because it may impact impartiality issues.

This is article by Ben Bradshaw DCMS committee in Guardian. Possibly leaking a BBC view?

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/sep/11/independent-scotland-bbc-license-fee-impartiality

I do hope the ghost of Thompson isn't about to strike again, if the report were shown to exist or even that this was leaked, I'd not like to think of the repercussions.

Meanwhile, doesn't BBC Scotland look a bit like a prison?

mel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 12:01:53 AM »
How the Fox Network in America see`s the Scottish vote on Thursday.

and who owns the Fox Network ? , ok don't all answer at once. . . . . 

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 10:00:50 PM »
and who owns the Fox Network ? , ok don't all answer at once. . . . . 

Yes well Murdoch is certainly a creature who should be kept at arms length but not so far away you can't keep an eye on what he's doing..

It's largely an impossible situation the BBC finds itself in, until recent fall-outs from Thompson's management and cost-cutting (perhaps we are now experiencing the cut-costing?) the BBC's trust ratings were without challenge - recent reports say they are less trusted than Wikipedia.  Largely the coverage I've seen appears balanced, of course I've not seen the coverage north of the border and I've not studied it, you can be sure the SNP have been.  Of course recent analysis by the Trust highlighted a lurch to the right in terms of balance which appeared to be largely ignored in their news review.

Whilst Nick Robinson has meanwhile apologised to his news colleagues for becoming the story - the point of which is still lost on me - Breaking: Politician fails to answer question?  I'm pretty sure he isn't getting a bonus...

This post thanks Private Eye for it's invaluable contribution.

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 11:22:49 PM »
I think that the BBC has been shown as discharging its public duty pretty well. I do not think it delivered to any agenda. I Have been listening to the Today pragram, PM and 5 Live. They have delivered views from all across Scotland without censure. I imagine Robert Peston and Nick Robinson might need to think about who is pulling the strings, but it is now up to the people of Scotland to decide their future. And this is history in the making!

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2014, 08:45:55 PM »
As a slight aside - or perhaps a slight and an aside, I enjoyed Terry Deary on Today this morning which reaffirmed in my mind that journalists, as well as holding people to account and speaking truth to power, are recording history for future generations.

And good luck Scotland, happy democracy to you.

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2014, 05:40:25 PM »
Enjoyable article by Armando Iannucci in today's Observer, Scottish referendum: people are energised - and this new way of doing politics is not going to change

I think the moment I felt that politics went through a looking glass was in the 2005 general election campaign. Tony Blair, the defending prime minister, was asked if Labour was going to renew Britain's nuclear deterrent and, more pressingly, why there was no clear answer to that question in his party manifesto. His answer was genius. "That's not a question for now. That's a question for the next parliament."

Step back and parse for a second the verbal errors by which democracy as we know it is casually denied in that sentence. Democracy normally works like this: people tell you what they'd do if they were in power and you vote for the ones you agree with. Under the Blair doctrine, however, it seems you vote people into power first and then you might find out what they want to do at a later stage.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter