Username:  Password: 
Login with Social Media Follow BBCRadioForum on Twitter

Author Topic:  The Other Side  (Read 2547 times)

Northoftheborder

• View Profile
The Other Side
« on: October 18, 2014, 02:00:37 PM »
What does the other side say to you? Maybe it's radio that's not produced by the BBC - or perhaps it could be one of the other stations that the BBC has to offer, but you don't regularly tune in to. Whatever your own personal definition of "the other side" may be, it might be worthwhile setting aside an hour or so, to sample the show I've linked to below.

For me, Five Live could well be "the other side", as it's not one of my first choice BBC radio stations. But last Saturday's Stephen Nolan show offered a fascinating interview with a radio presenter previously only heard on the "other side", i.e. commercial radio. It's about 45 minutes long, and starts at around 2 hours and 9 minutes into Stephen's show...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04kfk8s

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
Re: The Other Side
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 10:13:17 AM »
Hi North, yes and can be heard on youtube if the iPlayer is not your bag.

I only became familiar with S. Hirst after I saw his piece on creative radio a few weeks back which I enjoyed as it brought back memories of Chris Morris & Mark & Lard on Radio 1 - do have a watch/listen below, would they ever be allowed to push the boundaries like that these days?

« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 10:14:56 AM by darcysarto »

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 10:15:06 AM »
As for Stephanie, good luck to her, although I did find the interview she did with the Today programme a little unusual?  A leaked letter could only have come from one source and what was the purpose, to put pressure on Global?

Sex change DJ Simon Hirst: Leaked letter reveals decision

Northoftheborder

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2015, 10:42:54 AM »
It looks like Stephanie truly has made it to the other side now - the first Saturday in July saw her present her first ever BBC show:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02vdkkc will link to this show (for a couple more weeks) plus give a list of music she played!

"Stephanie Hirst's Nothing But The 90s" does pretty much what it says on the tin, showcasing a decade which previously seems to have eluded the majority of BBC local radio's dreary playlist. Perhaps she will get round to playing one of those many number ones The Spice Girls racked up during this decade? Who knows, maybe she'll take listeners' requests, too? Remember "Be Part of It??

I'd hoped to post details of this show before the event, but it's been a busy couple of weeks for me! But I did manage to catch her first show - the way live radio is best enjoyed - as it went out! Often calling herself Steph, text details were frequently given out...

...along with a handful of callers being given the chance to talk to Stephanie live on air. Unfortunately, no mention of any e-mail address ever surfaced during the first programme, although we were told that she'd love to hear our recollections from the decade!

If you like what you hear of the first show, then I recommend you check out 11 July's show (follow the link on Stephanie's Radio Manchester webpage). Unfortunately, the list of music played is incomplete, which will only add to the mystique of what's in store!

Later on, she gives stephanie.hirst@bbc.co.uk as her e-mail address and encourages listeners to contact her with music suggestions for future editions, so maybe things are looking up after all! I'd love to read what others think - good or bad - of this show so far...

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter