Username:  Password: 
Login with Social Media Follow BBCRadioForum on Twitter

Author Topic:  1970s top 20 query  (Read 1378 times)

regazzoni77

• View Profile
1970s top 20 query
« on: November 12, 2014, 09:52:08 PM »
Wonder if anyone can help
Back in the late 70's BBC Radio 1/2 did a 3 hour show on sunday afternoon from 4pm-7pm. The last hour was a rundown of the top 20/30?
When they got to number 2 they did a recap of the top 20/30, they read them out with background music of screaming guitars, what was that background music? does anyone know? there were no lyrics, just screaming guitars. My mate and I are going nuts trying to find out what the music was, can anyone help please?
Thanks

Telstar Boy

• View Profile
Re: 1970s top 20 query
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 09:56:37 PM »
Hi Regazzoni 77,

Not sure if you mean the early 70s for that 3 hour show?  I've had a look at the BBC Genome site (which lists all the Radio/TV programmes from a given date), and in the late 70s it appears that they just had a 60 minute Top 20 (later a 120 minute Top 40) show in that era.

In the early 70s, after Alan Freeman gave up the Chart Show, they introduced a three hour show from 4pm - 7pm called Solid Gold Sixty (NOT the Top 60 as suggested by the show's title!!), which featured new releases, climbers, etc., just as Fluff had done before (where the show had had sections called Unit 1, Unit 2, Unit 3, and Unit 4).  The only theme I can recall from around that period was an instrumental version of Lady Madonna by a band called Apollo 100 (headed by Tom Parker).  However, this is a synthesizer-based track, and definitely no screaming guitars on it!  Tom did change his chart rundown backing music a couple of times, so presumably those guitars must be out there somewhere?!!

I know this info probably isn't going to be much help, but perhaps some of the above may jog the memories of other Radio Forum-ites, who might just be able to help.  There is also this link on Wikipedia which also explains a bit about Solid Gold Sunday:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Browne_(broadcaster)

If I get a flash of inspiration and the said piece of music comes to me, I'll post it here!  :)

Telstar Boy

• View Profile
Re: 1970s top 20 query
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 10:04:51 PM »
Oops - just tried clicking on the link, and it doesn't seem to find the article direct, but does have a link to the correct article.

Sorry people - I did save the link directly, goodness knows what happened tho....   ::)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter