Username:  Password: 
Login with Social Media Follow BBCRadioForum on Twitter

Author Topic:  Will December Be Magic Again?  (Read 3109 times)

Northoftheborder

• View Profile
Will December Be Magic Again?
« on: November 29, 2014, 10:47:41 AM »
That time's crept up on us again, I'm afraid to say! It seems as though the season's now with us, where BBC radio deems it even more acceptable to repeat a limited "selection" of the same few songs - mostly older ones at that - than at other times of the year.

Yes, even though it's not yet December, at least one local radio station has unleashed Christmas songs on an unsuspecting early morning audience! Not just "wintry" music, either - but "full-on" seasonal favourites such as The Waitresses' Christmas Wrapping...

...along with Elton John's Step Into Christmas! In actual fact, these are two of my favourite Christmas tunes, but isn't it a little too early to hear these? Don't want to be accused of being a (Xmas) party pooper, but wouldn't it be wiser to wait a couple of weeks?

There's plenty of acceptable, well-known music appropriate to this time of year that doesn't have an overtly Xmas message, so why can't we leave the seasonal "big guns" until mid-December, please? Is it just Radio Stoke who've decided to celebrate prematurely?

Or is this an across-the-board BBC Radio policy? I'd love to hear your thoughts - either way - please. Actually, I'd love to hear more festive music - not less! But a greater variety than just David Essex's Winter's Tale, or Wham's sickliest, most syrupy dirge, please!

Maybe you could post a few more inventive Xmas suggestions, on Darcy's thread for nice songs, You Can Stick It Up Your Playlist:

http://www.bbclocalradioforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=623.msg7700#msg7700

However, as an early Christmas gift from what Dennis likes to call "Team Northoftheborder", this overlooked gem from Kate Bush, that inspired our thread title. And it's still only November! It's the correct chart version, strangely seldom heard on BBC local radio!!

Rita

• View Profile
Re: Will December Be Magic Again?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 04:19:00 PM »
Hello North of the Border,
Obviously I don't know much of what goes on in the week at Radio Merseyside, as, apart from the 'phone-in, my listening is at the weekend the majority of the time.  I know that Billy Butler has said that it is only Christmas from 1st. December, so he will not be playing any Christmas music before that.  True to his word, I did not hear any Christmas music on his show this morning (Saturday); neither did I hear any on Roger Lyon's show which followed. 
I am aware that there is a "Smooth Christmas" station that concentrates on just that, but I should imagine it gets very boring if it's broadcast all and every day and by Christmas you just might be a little sick of it! It's already playing in the shops, so I suppose they think they can put shoppers "in the mood" to buy - don't know whether it's successful or not. 

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 08:40:30 PM »
Hi North,

The playlist for BBC local radio is commercialized, repeated rubbish. It says nothing about British music, being mostly American and generally celebrates mind numbing wall paper muzak that apparently is voted for by listeners who are taken into vast halls and given a cup of tea and plugged into a few seconds of tracts and then judge them worthy of a place on a playlist that is so bad and so commercial, you have to wonder what is put in the tea.

Those snobs in the media and politics do not like BBC LOCAL RADIO , and there are reasons for that with those in the establishment being held to account. or those who want to make a profit from commercialized branded bland local stations. BUT it really does not help having the worst playlist going around and around everyday and every flipping evening only to wake up to the same dire music every day. It just says that the whole brand of BBC local radio is sub standard, lacking in creativity and has nothing but the bland to offer. That will never change unless those who care about BBC LR esp from the inside speak out. Both Darcy and I have done our time on this issue and spent many months exploring this only to be slapped down again and again by those in commercial radio and some from BBC LR (MOST NOTABLY From BBC NOTTS) Who said that the playlist must not be questioned by those who have to put up with it.

Sorry for rant...
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 08:52:56 PM by Tiger »

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 10:51:36 PM »
All together now..

We wish you a Merry Christmas;
We wish you a Merry Christmas;
We wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Good tidings we bring to you and your kin;

Good tidings for Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Hmm

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 10:59:54 PM »
I'm sure come tomorrow they'll be a sea of Christmas music across the radio waves.  I distinctly remember last Christmas turning on Radio 1 and hearing them playing Shakin' Stevens and I fully expect we'll be drowning in the stuff yet again.

Here's one you won't hear.

Northoftheborder

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2014, 11:48:57 AM »
Sadly it seems you're both right, with Radio Stoke awash with Christmas music before November was even out! Absolutely no need to apologise for your rant, Tiger! Although there's definitely a need for some kind of playlist - especially during weekday daylight hours - there really is no need for it to be so narrow, restrictive and uninspired as what we've had to endure for so long now, is there?

And why has weekend programming become so much of a slave to the playlist? My local radio station never used to be like this - at any time of the year! Saturday mornings allowed an element of music requesting, and the result was altogether more enlightening listening than the dull fare we're force-fed nowadays.

Until 2011, Radio Stoke spent most of each December allowing its listeners to request what were known as "Festive Favourites". As the month wore on, these became more Christmassy, however all this was swept away when someone apparently related to Scrooge took over the role of Managing Editor in 2012...

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter