Username:  Password: 
Login with Social Media Follow BBCRadioForum on Twitter

Author Topic:  Stream formats available for Five Live?  (Read 1794 times)

lemonstar

• View Profile
Stream formats available for Five Live?
« on: February 12, 2015, 08:35:13 AM »
What stream formats is 5 live available in now? My Roberts radio WM-201 uses the Reciva system and although the AAC version of the stream is listed but can't load the AAC stream and there is no MP3 listed. I don;t know if the Reciva system will eventually be updated so that an MP3 version is listed or whether there is one or will be one. The WMA stream contains the announcement about switch to Audio factory - there is a thread discussing the impact it has had on users here:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/internet/entries/977a1954-658f-4fb2-a23c-71680c49882f?sortBy=Created&sortOrder=Descending&filter=none#comments

scroll down for a long list of disgruntled internet radio owners who feel that the lower quality 128k MP3 stream now on offer demonstrates that the BBC is more interested in meeting the needs of Smart Phone owners than home listeners who have invested in a half decent stand alone internet radios.

I can't find a way to contact Reciva - they have a website but not obvious way to contact them there to ask what should or will be available.
https://radios.reciva.com/

The only other non-internet radio I now have is one I take camping and it's not a DAB radio so I have no access to Five Live other than my laptop - which is crap for listening to radio - no volume, no quality etc.

So do I have to ditch my 3 year old 200 Roberts? Or do I wait for Reciva to update? I have no idea if the Roberts hardware can use a firmware mod to allow it to use the proposed new formats HLS, HDS (using the AAC codec) and non-proprietary DASH format. What shoudl I be able to get now - I've had no luck getting a reply from the BBC but hope Roberts will reply soon.

lemonstar

• View Profile
Re: Stream formats available for Five Live?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 05:43:40 PM »
The Five Live MP3 stream finally appeared on the Reciva CDN (Content Delivery Network) on my Roberts internet radio. Frankly, the availability of information concerning the obsoletion of the old WMA and AAC streams and the availability of the new MP3 streams was crap - I had no replies from BBC Radio 5 live on fb, twitter or from the BBC directly or a BBC forum and the reply I had from Roberts and Reciva was inaccurate.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 05:46:02 PM by lemonstar »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter