Username:  Password: 
Login with Social Media Follow BBCRadioForum on Twitter

Author Topic:  "Cut out the shouting"  (Read 1461 times)

Rita

• View Profile
"Cut out the shouting"
« on: May 12, 2015, 01:26:37 PM »
Seen in the letters page of a national newspaper last Sunday:-

"Cut out the shouting"

As a regular listener to BBC Radio 4, there is nothing I enjoy more than a sensible argument or discussion on the airwaves.
However, there have been occasions when the chairmen of some programmes appear to lose control of the panel members, with the result that the listener hears nothing but a cacophony of voices, as those taking part descend into a verbal shouting match, none of which is the slightest bit intelligible.
This situation may possibly be acceptable on the television as those involved in the fracas bounce up and down gesticulating wildly but making no logical sense, however providing a certain amount of unintentional comedy.
Unfortunately, on the radio it provides nothing in the way of an intelligent answer or even comic relief for the listener.
Surely the producer should have the sense to instruct the chairman to control the panel.
Would the producers of such programmes also instruct the interviewers and chairmen to stop interrupting with their views and allow the listener, or viewer, to hear the point of view of the person being interviewed, or the views of the panel?
Let us remember the words of William Shakespeare: "The empty vessel makes the greatest sound".

I can sympathise with the letter writer.  Even on local radio, the screeching, hysterical laughter and talking over one another becomes distracting, and annoying.  Bearing this in mind, I use the "off" button or don't switch on at all.  It is more irritating when it comes at a time of evening when all you want to do is relax and all I want to do is throw the radio through the window!

Albert

• View Profile
Re: "Cut out the shouting"
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 02:05:20 PM »
Performing on the radio is a subtle art but it seems that some at the BBC believe a star on the goggle box must surely be a star on the wireless too.

I've been a Radio 4 listener for decades, but I have to say that in recent years I have more and more gone for the off button in search of some peace. I put it down to age but maybe it's not all me to blame.

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
Re: "Cut out the shouting"
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 07:58:08 PM »
You're not the only one Albert, here's Steve Collins' cartoon from weekend...

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter