Username:  Password: 
Login with Social Media Follow BBCRadioForum on Twitter

Author Topic:  BBC WM boss on Radio Stoke  (Read 4681 times)

bbclocallover@gmail.com

• View Profile
    • Email
BBC WM boss on Radio Stoke
« on: June 16, 2015, 08:56:36 AM »
@BBCLocalLover: CALL THE BOSS
#BBC boss in West Midlands joining @PerrySpiller on @BBCRadioStoke at 10am
http://t.co/KkjQ6tFN1D http://t.co/HCmReLaGp2

Northoftheborder

• View Profile
Re: BBC WM boss on Radio Stoke
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 09:41:52 AM »
Apparently David Jennings will be on-air after eleven. Currently Perry Spiller is enthralling us all with a "discussion" on what your first job was, and how much you were paid. Just what the BBC devised local radio for, eh?

Half an hour in, and Spiller's not been able to bring himself to mention whatever e-mail address Radio Stoke are promoting today. Maybe they aren't too keen on us listing all that's wrong? Or perhaps their system couldn't cope with the deluge of complaints??

bbclocallover@gmail.com

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 11:22:34 AM »
 Thought he batted away the complaints with all the well schooled expertise you'd expect from a BBC boss!

Dennis Marshall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 11:41:02 AM »
Despite saving an inordinate amount of time - by the simple expedient of failing to ever read out any email contact details - sadly it seems that Radio Stoke could only spare one single hour to deal with listeners' concerns. What remains of their audience have waited many, many months for such an opportunity to arise.

It would appear that 'In The Hot Seat' simply had to be curtailed, so that Perry Spiller could return to that 'enthralling discussion' regarding listeners' first Saturday jobs.

I wonder how many years months it will be before Radio Stoke can return themselves to 'The Hot Seat'? Meanwhile, thank goodness we have this forum to air our views.

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 08:36:22 PM »
Well I tuned in at 10 and was treated to - to be fair - a masterclass from Perry Spiller in how to drag a single inane phone-in question across a whole hour.  And what's more he returned to it after 12 o'clock!  'What was your first job?' he was asking - what was your last, others will have been thinking.  Again to be fair to Perry, he did actually make me laugh a couple of times with a couple of moments of astute quick wittedess, unfortunately it was a briefly passed oasis in a desert of largely pointless and witless conversation.  One of the problems with some shows on BBC local radio is that they sound more like support group for Alzheimers sufferers than a programme that anyone has put any thought, pride or hard work into.

So, then onto the 'Hot Seat'.  Well, I'm not sure how Hot Perry's seat is usually but this time around is was more of a Warm Stool.  I've had cheese on toast that has been more thoroughly grilled.  Jennings revealed he thinks the Forrest programme is really good and he likes the easy listening of the playlist, must take him ages to cross a street.  And no doubt like all BBC management, he's never, ever wrong.  I could go through the list of subjects brought up but we all know nothing is going to change.  If nothing else it was an excellent demonstration of a lot of the things wrong with BBC local radio.  Good luck Staffordshire.  Sod you Cheshire.

Northoftheborder

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2015, 01:58:59 PM »
...we all know nothing is going to change.  If nothing else it was an excellent demonstration of a lot of the things wrong with BBC local radio...

There's a sizeable event taking place in South Cheshire across this weekend. For the past 25 years Middlewich has hosted an annual Folk & Boat Festival, celebrating the town's rich industrial heritage and drawing upon the long-standing links between the production of salt, and the canal network developed to transport it. After so many years, this is of course a well-established and popular fixture.

Without any football sport to fill Saturday afternoons, Radio Stoke run "Summer Saturdays", promising to "visit your events across Staffordshireandcheshire". No apparent sign of any mention whatsoever, of Middlewich's event today. I reckon Darcy was spot on:

Good luck Staffordshire.  Sod you Cheshire.

Susie O

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2015, 02:54:58 PM »
I`ve wanted to reply to this one for quite a while now, but I`ve not got round to it until today. That`s a bit like the station boss of Radio Stoke isn`t it? He`s been there for ages now, but he still hasn`t got round to putting HIMSELF in his own hot seat. It can`t be that hard can it? What on earth can there be to lose?

Although the show`s not on listen again any more, I had a listen back a few days ago. Still can`t quite work out what Gary Andrews was afraid of, as there weren`t that many questions asked! After the news, they played a record. Then they introduced David Jennings, which seemed to take about twelve minutes! Now it was time for the travel, at twenty past the hour. Then they answered the first proper question, which was a good one. It started with something read out, about poor coverage of South Cheshire. This then led into the first phone caller, who took the coverage of Cheshire further, because he wanted Cheshire to have its own BBC local station. I hope this chap`s not holding his breath, as he could be in for a long wait!

Like Dennis, I couldn`t help but notice that David Jennings didn`t know too much about the local area. What a shame that Gary Andrews wasn't there to help him. If I was Gary, I`d have wanted to help my boss out of all those tight spots, that listeners put him in! Perhaps he was just too busy that day, to spare his listeners just a few minutes of his time. What a shame. Maybe that helps explain why I don`t seem to find the time, to turn his disappointing radio station on half as much as I used to.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter