Username:  Password: 
Login with Social Media Follow BBCRadioForum on Twitter

Author Topic:  Review of BBC local radio, local news and current affairs in England  (Read 6185 times)

BBC Trust

• View Profile
    • BBC Trust website
Today BBC Trust launches its second review of BBC local radio which will also cover BBC local news and current affairs programming on both television and online.

As part of the review process the Trust is running a public consultation to hear what audiences think of their local BBC services in England. People can contribute to the consultation online (https://consultations.external.bbc.co.uk/bbc/local-radio-news-current-affairs), by phone, post, or alternatively can tweet using #localreview.

The review will focus on how well Local Radio and local news services in England are fulfilling the commitments set out in their service licences.

The Trust will look at how well BBC local radio and local news programming is serving audiences, the extent to which people are using the services and the impact the services are making. Key questions will also include whether they are delivering high quality, distinctive content that represents good value for money for licence fee payers.

Whilst not formally assessing market impact, the review will consider the BBC's position in the local media environment and how its local news provision currently fits with that provided by others.

The review will also look at whether local radio and local news is equipped for changes to listening and viewing habits including responding to technological shifts.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 01:58:05 PM by BBC Trust »

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
Today BBC Trust launches its second review of BBC local radio which will also cover BBC local news and current affairs programming on both television and online.

As part of the review process the Trust is running a public consultation to hear what audiences think of their local BBC services in England. People can contribute to the consultation online (https://consultations.external.bbc.co.uk/bbc/local-radio-news-current-affairs), by phone, post, or alternatively can tweet using #localreview.

The review will focus on how well Local Radio and local news services in England are fulfilling the commitments set out in their service licences.

The Trust will look at how well BBC local radio and local news programming is serving audiences, the extent to which people are using the services and the impact the services are making. Key questions will also include whether they are delivering high quality, distinctive content that represents good value for money for licence fee payers.

Whilst not formally assessing market impact, the review will consider the BBC's position in the local media environment and how its local news provision currently fits with that provided by others.

The review will also look at whether local radio and local news is equipped for changes to listening and viewing habits including responding to technological shifts.

Well Hello! BBC Trust and welcome along to this little old forum, to what do we owe this pleasure?  Hopefully you've come along to engage and not just advertise your latest review, although it is very welcome.

Whilst I consider whether to contribute perhaps you could answer a question or two?

Firstly in your last review of BBC Local Radio, Action 10 was:

Action 10 BBC management should develop a music policy that ensures Local Radios distinctiveness within the BBC radio
portfolio.

We are asking BBC management to draw on the BBCs popular music expertise to develop a music policy that complements other BBC radio stations and seeks to offer something distinct, whilst acknowledging the likely musical tastes of its audience.
This policy may allow variation to reflect local tastes, heritage, traditions and topicality, and so be more distinctive to Local Radio.

We will ask BBC management to report back on progress in this area later this year.

Where can we find details of this new policy from 2010?

Secondly, how widely will details of your review be trailed on BBC Local Radio stations?  Last time around trails were very limited and were often scheduled at times of day with very small audiences.  Perhaps you can outline the plans you have put in place for this latest review.

Many thanks.

BBC Trust

• View Profile
    • BBC Trust website
Thanks for your comment. We decided to post here as we want to ensure members of the forum are aware of the consultation and are given every opportunity to participate.

With regards to your question on the last service review in 2012, we publish progress reports on our website (http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/our_work/services) each July and we are due to publish another report shortly. Action 10 will be considered as part of the second (current) service review.

The consultation is being promoted via trails on all local radio stations, it is also being promoted via stations' social media channels. Trails will also be played out in regional TV news programmes at various points whilst the consultation is open.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 02:27:05 PM by BBC Trust »

JY

• View Profile
Good to see the BBC on another death wish hope the review is going to be open for a few years as feelings on the subject of BBC Local Radio are running very high.

Rita

• View Profile
I agree with you JY.  I think the BBC has a death wish and that feelings are running very high on the subject of local radio.  I hope many listeners fill in the Consultation questions on the BBC Trust service review, either on-line or paper copy. The consultation runs from 6th July 2015 until 28th September 2015.  They are unable to accept returns after 28th September.  It is vital that as many people as possible fill them in, otherwise the Trust will think there has not been enough interest shown.  Whether the BBC will listen to what we are saying, I have my doubts, but it's no use being disappointed by the outcome if we don't fill the forms in - and we can't moan about what happens next.

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
Thanks for your comment. We decided to post here as we want to ensure members of the forum are aware of the consultation and are given every opportunity to participate.

With regards to your question on the last service review in 2012, we publish progress reports on our website (http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/our_work/services) each July and we are due to publish another report shortly. Action 10 will be considered as part of the second (current) service review.

The consultation is being promoted via trails on all local radio stations, it is also being promoted via stations' social media channels. Trails will also be played out in regional TV news programmes at various points whilst the consultation is open.

Thank you for your reply, apologies, I had 2010 on my mind what with the latest covert licence fee agreement being made.

I don't wish to appear churlish but can you please just give us details of what BBC management has done as far as an improved music policy is concerned please.  I know you publish many things on your website however I'm wondering how many documents I'd need to wade through before I stumble upon the answer?

Last time around the Trust left the scheduling of trails on local stations to BBC management, is this effectively still the case or have you defined an approach designed for reaching as many listeners as possible?

mel

• View Profile
Hi all, I personally  think BBC Local Radio is somewhat on the down-slope. That the creative side of local radio has been shown the door in favour of saving money.
I have always been a keen listener of BBC London, and at one-time had great shows, the great Danny Baker show each afternoon was chopped a few years ago and from then the station changed, and not for the better.

The guy in charge moved presenters round, moving late night presenters to afternoons, which in my opinion was not a good idea.
With the introduction of BBC London playing more music within its shows where before no music and more chat made it more interesting and informative (Lets face it playing music is cheap radio).
I now tune away when they play boring music, and that's a shame...

That's my local BBC station but Im sure others are just the same.

Sorry for my rant .....

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
Re: Review of BBC local radio, local news and current affairs in England
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2015, 10:54:28 AM »
The BBC Trust consultation on BBC Local Radio and Local News and Current Affairs in England closes tomorrow, so this is a reminder that if you haven't 'had your say' you haven't got long.

I'm thankful to the BBC Trust for posting here on the forum, it's always good to see them attempting to widen the scope of their engagement - will this mean they top the number of consultation returns they had last time?  You'd have to hope so, or something is wrong somewhere..  It's also of concern that as shown by my questions previously on this thread the lack of engagement when it comes to accountability for the decisions made on the basis of previous consultations, perhaps with increase in the size of the BBC's ears in the run up to Charter Renewal it will become a more open and engaging public broadcaster, I'm willing to err on the side of optimism.

The consultation can be found here: https://consultations.external.bbc.co.uk/bbc/local-radio-news-current-affairs

Rita

• View Profile
Re: Review of BBC local radio, local news and current affairs in England
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2015, 01:14:14 PM »
I have filled in so many BBC surveys in the last weeks, either on-line or paper copies, I guess my views have been made quite clear to them by now.  Whether the BBC will act on any of the suggestions that have been made by viewers and listeners up and down the country, remains to be seen.  Personally, I have my doubts, because, without doubt, large organisations do not listen to what is being said, but we will have to see.  I also took the time to write to John Whittingdale, M.P., but, up to date, have never had any acknowledgement of my letter, so it is hard to see if he has taken any of my views on board. 
All I hope for is that the BBC will finally realise how important local radio is to listeners up and down the land, and will see that more funding is given to these station to enable them to continue with their vital work in the community.  I do wish that they would dispense with the "All England Show" in the early evening and replace it with shows from the local presenters who know the area and also the people in their remit.  The "All England Show" is definitely NOT local radio.
It would be nice to think that the BBC will become a more open and engaging public broadcaster, but I'm not holding my breath about that one.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter