Username:  Password: 
Login with Social Media Follow BBCRadioForum on Twitter

Author Topic:  Programmes worthy of note over the Christmas/New Year period.  (Read 1742 times)

Rita

• View Profile
I don't know if any members of the Forum listened to Radio Merseyside over the Christmas/New Year period?  If not there were quite a number of shows worthy of note and excellence, which would be worth listening again to on the BBCiPlayer.  Programmes presented by Roger Lyon on 25th December (11.00 a.m. - 2.00 p.m); 26th December (11.00 a.m. - 2.30 p.m); 28th December (11.00 a.m. - 2.30 p.m); and 1st January 2016 (9.00 a.m. - 12 noon) were all excellent for various reasons, e.g. the guests and the chance for some listeners on Christmas Day to hear greetings from family members overseas.  It would take me far too long to mention the highlights for me.   Another presenter, Frankie Connor also presented some wonderful shows on 27th December (11.00 a.m. - 2.00 p.m); 28th December (8.00 a.m. - 11.00 a.m); 1st January 2016 (12 noon - 3.00 p.m); and 3rd January 2016 (11.00 a.m. - 2.00 p.m).  There was also a BBC Merseyside special from 6.00 p.m. - 7.00 p.m. on 28th December "Remembering Cilla" which may be of interest.
It's so long since I've written anything on the Forum, that I've quite got out of the habit, so apologies for anything I've missed.  Perhaps if there is anything that would interest you on Radio Merseyside, you could go to the schedules for more information.
Happy New Year to you all.  Hope 2016 proves to be a happy, healthy, peaceful and prosperous one for you all.

radiolad

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Programmes worthy of note over the Christmas/New Year period.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 10:00:03 AM »
Thanks for the info Rita. In the Eastern region, Three Counties didn't seem to do many special shows but BBC Northampton did some excellent music shows (5-7 in the evenings) and BBC Cambridgeshire had some interesting documentaries.

JY

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 11:55:25 AM »
The radio talent that is Colin Berry only got given one 2 hour recorded show on New Year's Day on BBC 3CR. No special documentaries aired either such as Cilla Black it was yet again a poor substandard offering on BBC 3CR.

Northoftheborder

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 03:45:08 PM »
Happy New Year Rita, and a warm welcome back to our Forum - it's much like The Eagles' Hotel California, as you can check out any time you like - but you can never leave! Whilst I realise this particular thread is devoted to local radio I hope none of you will mind, if I signpost you to something broadcast on national BBC institution Radio Two.

Another national BBC institution was long-running children's radio request show Junior Choice. Originally broadcast on Radio One, it was hosted throughout the Seventies by Ed Stewart, then instantly recognisable to youngsters as the presenter of television's Crackerjack. Whilst eventually dropped by Radio One, 2007 saw a one-off revival.

Intended to commemorate the fortieth anniversary of the founding of Radios One, Two, Three and Four, the revived Junior Choice was so well received that autumn, that Radio Two commissioned a further show for Christmas 2007, again with Ed Stewart. Subsequently, each Christmas Ed made a further return to the national BBC airwaves.

Sadly, Ed Stewart passed away earlier this month, at the age of 74. For anyone who grew up in the Seventies, it almost feels like part of your childhood has vanished, too.

Fortunately, this year's Christmas Junior Choice is still available to enjoy - for a few days yet - courtesy of BBC iPlayer: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06rf35q

A worthy tribute, I hope you'll agree, to an earlier age of BBC radio, when listeners' musical choices were still actively welcomed. Thanks Ed, we'll be with you whenever...

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter