Username:  Password: 
Login with Social Media Follow BBCRadioForum on Twitter

Author Topic:  A Jigsaw Puzzle...that is puzzling!  (Read 14854 times)

Tiger

• View Profile
A Jigsaw Puzzle...that is puzzling!
« on: July 09, 2011, 09:13:39 PM »
These are the pieces of the puzzle.

Jeremy Hunt.

His interest in establishing digital local TV.

His previous links to digital companies the Wiki links to these companies now deleted.

Mark Thompson and the license fee settlement..very swiftly and suprisingly done with no transparency.

The only rival to a local tv service..would be what?  oh yes BBC local radio!

Mark Thompson is proposing ideas to damage BBC local radio.

The B Sky B deal.

The outing of Vince Cable.

All perhaps not related and yet we have this.."The Curious case of Arts Council England and News International"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/charlottehigginsblog/2011/jan/27/arts-council-england-news-international

Anyone any good at jigsaw puzzles?

I need some more pieces.

Tiger

• View Profile
Re: A Jigsaw Puzzle...that is puzzling!
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 12:00:41 AM »
January 2011 5:20PM
My colleague Owen Gibson, the sports news correspondent, has alerted me to this interesting parallel: News International have signed a deal to become the official paper of the Olympic Games (ish)
http://www.marketingmagazine.co.uk/news/1051053/Visa-links-News-International-Team-2012-access/

This was the first comment under the Arts Council article...

we have another bit of the jigsaw.

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 07:53:29 PM »
I think someone quite important once said something about if you want change you have to help change it..

Now the OFCOM consultation is closed the next way to express public opinion about the BSkyB bid is this..just copy and paste into email and make sure that you give your address, otherwise it may be ignored.

Dear [your MP]

I am a constituent of yours resident at the above address.
Could you please confirm in a personal written reply to me that the following information is factual?

That:
1) Through its wholly owned subsidiary - News Optimus Ltd - BSkyB provides voice telephony services to 2.75 million customers and Broadband Internet services to 3 million customers.

That:
2) The takeover of BSkyB by the above would give News Corporation direct and full access to the private call data and detailed Internet usage of these customers.

Further:
It is widely believed that News Corporation, through the reported actions of its wholly owned subsidiary, News International, has shown that it cannot and should not be trusted with access to such data.

Do you agree that this is the case?

Furthermore, it has become my opinion that News Corporation's labyrinthine ownership structure will leave most of these telephony and Internet customers unaware of the organisation that has access to this data, making it difficult for its customers to exercise informed consumer choice.

Do you feel that this is the correct interpretation, or do you believe that in the light of recent events News Corporation are enitrely trustworthy in respect of private individuals telephone usage?

Yours Sincerely,

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 08:07:32 PM »
To contact your MP quickly

http://www.writetothem.com/

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 07:40:36 PM »
What is important/interesting/jigsawish is of course that until a couple of years back, cuts to Local Radio would have been unimaginable.  Indeed the BBC had plans to open 4 new local radio stations and increase the content on their local websites to include video etc.  After certain organisations took exception to this. the BBC appears not so much as to have pull back from the brink of implementing what in areas like Dorset would have been welcome additions to the network, it seems they have actually run to the hills faster than one of Jeremy Hunts double blinks.

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 09:06:51 PM »
Yes, this is very murky indeed.

Hopefully a few stones will be looked under..

And I have never seen so many double blinks from a public figure as I saw when Jeremy Hunt was interviewed by the BBC this morning.

I hope we all realise that if it were not for the Guardian and some brave people this week would have seen the waiving through of the BSkyB DEAL..WITHOUT QUESTION..

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 05:33:24 PM »
Well it is not a rainy day but I am looking at the jigsaw puzzle!!

I think there is another piece that fits.

It is to do with the removal of Vince Cable as the politition in charge of the BSkyB bid. We know what happened with the 2 undercover reporters..but I had not realised this..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/robertpeston/2010/12/what_vince_cable_said_about_ru.html

Now we know that Robert Peston has links to News International ..it has been reported fairly widely in the press this week.

The comments on this article are quite interesting.

And of course Andy Coulson was still in charge of media communications at the time.

Do not worry I am not a conspiracy theorist and have never typed into google " Murdoch and The BBC their links to Roswell..we need to know"!!..not yet anyway!

But there is a bit of a bad smell here..not in any way regarding the BBC as  a wonderful corporation but perhaps a few individuals..within that corporation ..have another couple of pieces as well..that seem to fit..back with those later.

Tiger

• View Profile

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 06:10:05 PM »
Another piece of this puzzle is an interview that Mark Thompson gave to the Times in Feb 2010..before the licence fee freeze.

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/media/article7041826.ece

The whole article is very interesting..this is what he said about BBC local services..PLEASE REMEMBER THIS WAS BEFORE ANY DISCUSSIONS ABOUT CUTS.

"LOCAL

Central to its new regional policy, the BBC will promise never to operate at a more local level than is currently the case. In 2008 it was rebuffed by its governing body when it tried to set up a network of local websites with video content and now it will go further, stripping its local online presence back to news, sport, weather and public information.

Its promise not to get more local would rule it out of participating in any of the city-based television stations that the Conservatives say they will create if they win the general election. The BBCs 39 local radio stations have lost audience in past years and now attract a total of around 6.7 million listeners each week. Because its local stations are aimed at audiences that it otherwise finds hard to reach, the BBC is anxious to reverse the decline.

Mr Thompson will promise to provide better news on local radio at the peak times of breakfast and drivetime, funded by syndicating content between regional stations during off-peak hours. The corporation will also give a new undertaking to codify its local ambitions in a written undertaking, which it will distribute to local commercial rivals as part of an attempt to become more accountable. "

Also remember Jeremy Hunt's interest in Commercial local TV.

Oh and "syndicating content" means networking within the corporation..eg 5 Live.This proposal only later introduced rather craftily as an idea that came out of DQF ..set up much later..Hmmmm
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 06:11:56 PM by Tiger »

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 06:57:19 PM »
Now of course the next piece is going to be about Rupert Murdoch and Mark Thompson.

This is hugely controversial..and have to add ,however , it only took me 10 mins on google to put the right info in..to immediately see what is going on.

I am not a racist and have publicly fought the BNP ..and there is a worry that it could play into their disgusting hands.

I will just say that both Mark Thompson and Rupert Murdoch are also connected to Ariel Sharon..you look it up and make your own minds up..

I have not ..at the moment.

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 07:34:42 PM »
I have to say , that all those BBC staff on strike at the moment..have done the right thing.

And they have to look very closely at their management..trying to limit their powers ..all in the name of cuts..but for what wider purpose.

I have to say there is much more supporting information about why some jigsaw pieces seem to fit..I will say that Mark Thompson in an exclusive with the Times  said that he would probably leave after the Olympic coverage..and when asked if he would consider a job with News Corp HE SAID THAT HE WOULD CONSIDER IT.

It is all there on the dear internet..so just help with the jigsaw puzzle..

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011, 08:54:22 PM »
On Feedback today the question of Robert Peston was raised by Roger during an interview with one of the BBCs top News ladypeople.

If you are Robert Peston and 'a whistleblower' passes you information, his profile is so high I would doubt he would be able to bury such a thing even if it crossed his mind for a moment, which I hope it didn't, I actually feel quite bad for insinuating he may have done, which he didn't....  It seems unfortunate that some who have left comments are questioning why he published the information.  He had to, it was the truth, they were the facts, it's his job.

Of course you can query the motives of A. Whistleblower.

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2011, 09:11:13 PM »
I don't know if this is a little squigly bit that you have no idea which is up or down but it outlines the reasons for why the extensions to the BBCs local websites were canned.

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200809/cmselect/cmcumeds/24/2410.htm#note212

I'm not sure how we get from:

In May 2008 the BBC submitted plans to the BBC Trust to provide a new, on-demand, local video service, delivered via fixed and mobile broadband internet connections. It came about from a challenge from the Trust for "BBC management to respond to licence fee payers wanting better local services".

To the BBC promising not to become anymore local?

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2011, 11:17:53 PM »
Yes, there is a huge leap there?

I really hope Darcy that it is not just you and me looking at some things that have lived under stones?

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2011, 10:50:22 PM »
I have to say, that the big jigsaw puzzle is a huge worry.

There needs to be a vote of no confidence introduced..by Nick Clegg and Ed Milliband?.who is now in charge of our democratic  society? I am not sure there is an answer...and that is a real worry.

And I voted for David Cameron...

And if reports over this weekend about Mark Thompson are to be believed?? then we have a worry about the BBC(Although I have huge faith in its employees the most creative and intelligent people..surely..they will be wanting to distance themselves from a potentially corrupt management?)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter