Username:  Password: 
Login with Social Media Follow BBCRadioForum on Twitter

Author Topic:  Forum Feedback  (Read 6559 times)

BBCRadioForum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Forum Feedback
« on: September 28, 2011, 06:58:51 PM »
Weve started this thread in response to a request from Hal.  Weve also created a Radio 2 board and a 5Live board and are mulling over some other changes, hopefully to make the forum easier to use and to read.

Wed very much appreciate your thoughts on the local radio section.  Currently we have different boards for different stations all under the Stations, Shows and Presenters heading.  And we have the general local radio discussion board too.  One of the things we are considering doing is, rather than have a separate board for each station, just having all the posts for every station in the Stations, Shows and Presenters.  Our thinking is that whilst its possibly more organised having a separate boards for each Local station, it is a little unwieldy and also that there are things posted in some of them that may be of interest to those who may not actually listen to that station.  For instance, this piece by Delta79 http://www.bbclocalradioforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=184 is tucked away in the BBC Radio Shropshire board and really deserves a wider audience.

Anyway, those are just the seeds of some thoughts we were having but we would like to know what you think.  Like you we are just listeners, but just happen to be listeners trying to make a place for discussion and would like to make it as easy to use and friendly as possible.  Any (polite) suggestions gratefully received.

Hal

• View Profile
    • Fifty Plus Forum
Re: Forum Feedback
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 07:45:05 PM »
Thanks for the credit ;)

Feedback on a forum is always essential, at least in the ones I have run in the past. Relying on a PM back to admin is not enough. A feedback board sparks ideas in other members and responses to those ideas give credit or demerit to those ideas, showing the admin team what's needed and what doesn't work.

Well done! :)

Thanks for the Radio 2 Board. Off to post there now.
When all about you are loosing it, sit down and put your fingers in your ears :)

vhawk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 08:05:44 PM »
you  asked for my thoughts on local radio,  it doe not interest me in the least, I'm  strictly a radio  4 man  and I hate music.if  you dumped local radio I would neither care nor notice, I never listen to it, nor wish to. wise enough for you? put the money saved into radio4 and 4  extra.

Hal

• View Profile
    • Fifty Plus Forum
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 08:39:05 PM »
I like local radio. Each to his/her own. I like R4 too. :) However I think this board is meant for feedback about the site and the boards rather than the stations.

delta79

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 09:44:27 PM »
thanks for the name check and the link.

I think at the moment the layout is fine. It allows the users that like nationals to find their quickly and gives the local fans a chance to nose around other stations, or it does for me, as it nice to look at station i heard on my travels.
The views in this posting are mine.

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 07:45:22 PM »
Yes, the forum must have a central point for debate about BBC local radio. Otherwise very important information may be missed. The Cuts are going to be announced next week, this forum will be a debating area in protecting services. It has to be thread based on the general discussion area, otherwise it will be disperate and un connected and user un friendly.

I would say to Vhawk..you may have your dissappointments with BBCLR and I cannot blame you as they went low LCD in recent years with Dave and Sue..however we have to forgive and forget that very serious blunder. They are putting that right(with no resources..respect there) and the journalism is improving considerably. If we lose BBC local radio we lose our voice as local communities and democracy will be damaged.

If you found out that a mobile phone mast was going to be erected outside your house, or a major supermarket was coming to your back garden, or your local surgery and hospital closed down..and your MP was telling you to accept it..where might you go to express your voice?..BBC LR is vital.

BBCRadioForum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 11:13:11 PM »
Thank you to everyone who has so far expressed a preference, I've had a few messages to add to the thoughts here, all quite evenly balanced between what we have now and a board of collective threads.  That being the case and as we don't know for sure how much of the local radio may be left or at least proposed, after next weeks DQF announcement, I think with the odd modification to the forum we could have the best of both.

My suggestion would be that we have one local radio board but for each topic a prefix, e.g. BBC Local Radio (to cover general posts) or the individual station names that can be selected from a drop down, that way they are all easily identified and posters would only need to select it when they start a topic.  If that makes sense? The prefix would be appended to the topic title, obviously!

BBCRadioForum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 07:34:52 PM »
Well thanks to everyone who has contributed thoughts and I've made some changes.  There is now one BBC Local Radio board.  When you post you will have the opportunity to select a prefix for you post from all of the local stations.  If is just a general post, you need not pick one.  At the top of the board there is a list of the stations which you can click on and you will then just see a filtered list of posts for that station prefix.

I hope you'll agree this makes things a little more flexible whilst allowing us to keep everything in one place?

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter