Username:  Password: 
Login with Social Media Follow BBCRadioForum on Twitter

Author Topic: BBC Solent BBC Radio Solent reporting from Tristan da Cunha  (Read 6308 times)

Ruby

• View Profile
BBC Solent BBC Radio Solent reporting from Tristan da Cunha
« on: October 02, 2011, 02:15:40 PM »
In the current financial climate and considering the fact that the BBC are going to announce redundancies, how is it justified for BBC Radio Solent to send Chris Carnegy to Tristan da Cunha, to report on the 50th anniversary of the volcanic eruption.  I know lots of the former inhabitants of Tristan da Cunha are living in the South of England and would be interested, but is it justifiable.

In my opinion, no it is not.

What do you think?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 06:08:27 PM by BBCRadioForum »

Tiger

• View Profile
Re: BBC Radio Solent reporting from Tristan da Cunha
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 07:58:04 PM »
Dear Ruby,

I agree.

I heard my local station (BBC Surrey) cover Chris Carnegie's holiday(oops I mean vital journalistic investigation!)this morning

What to say?..this has a little historical interest and it is interesting..but I am sure that does not include the need for the managing editor of a BBC local station, which is a local media that is facing the announcement of the cuts on Thursday, to actually visit the Island. The whole thing should have been conducted by Skype.

The message that this sends about the responsibility of managing editors and  their credibility in the real world is quite worrying? Ideal material for Salford.  And it does damage to all the very hardworking journalists and presenters who work to a very tight budget.

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 08:57:49 PM »
*phone rings*

*click*

Voice:  Hi am I speaking to Chris Carnegy Managing Editor of BBC Radio Solent?

CC: Yes, that's right.

Voice:  Hi Chris, I'm the deputy deputy assistant to the head of development for the Southern region.  Just wondering if you were aware that its DQF day next Thursday?

CC: Oh hi, yes I did know.

Voice:  Yes the day the BBC defines what it thinks it means to be the BBC in 2011 and beyond.  We will be making economies and facing challenges that bring opportunities.

CC:  Yes indeed, what can I do for you?

Voice:  How do you fancy a trip to an island in the South Atlantic with a population of 263?

SaintLee

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 04:23:39 AM »
Are you sure that Mr Carnegy hasn't paid for the trip himself and is literally reporting from his "holiday"?

You may be surprised.

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 07:27:57 PM »
Dear SaintLee,

I hope what you say is correct. It needs to be made clear otherwise it does give a very bad impression this week of all weeks.

Ruby

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 04:55:59 PM »
Hello SaintLee,

You aren't by any chance, Mr. Carnegy in disguise... are you?

If he has paid for this himself, then, yes... it should be made clear. 

When you say "you'd be surprised", it seems as though you know the answer.

With all the things going on at the BBC, I would never be surprised what happened. 

(bye the way Saint Lee,....  it is nice to see you here.  Thanks for responding to the discussion).

ChrisCarnegy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 07:00:29 PM »
May I tiptoe in, purely because while I was away my family were a bit upset by this thread, especially as they'd watched me save my money and my holiday allowance to make the trip possible.  Such a venture would sadly not have fitted in a local radio budget, but the story has always fascinated me.  The notion that it may not be valid because the island has a small population seems to me rather to miss the point of the story itself.

As to the timing, well it takes literally months to arrange such a trip, and only weeks to fix the date of a DQF public announcement.

I love the idea that I'd adopt a false name to post here.  I've never posted anything anonymous online in my life.  Whilst the spite of some posters (Mr 'Soto' for example) is only made practical by hiding identities, I really can't see the point of it myself.

Oh, and as to making it clear Ruby - I did explain that it was a holiday, but did so on the, er, radio!

regards all,

Chris

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2011, 07:21:07 PM »
Dear Chris,

Oh gosh, well done for making this clear.

The story was an interesting one.

I suspect that you are one of the good guys.

Tiger X

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2011, 07:43:42 PM »
But have to add that I hope you wil be speaking out about the DQF proposals. I believe several staff are to be lost at your station. And you were not there at the time of the grim announcements. Also you will need to get your listeners engaged and you should listen to them. Your decision to cancel Mike's afternoon show on Sundays , when it had a healthy listenership is of concern. Please reassure that it was not a pre DQF decision to cancel these popular shows(Folkwaves as an example) to control the potential protest before the DQF?

Do not let me down here , lets see what a good managing editor will say.

Tiger

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 07:32:02 PM »
May I tiptoe in, purely because while I was away my family were a bit upset by this thread, especially as they'd watched me save my money and my holiday allowance to make the trip possible.  Such a venture would sadly not have fitted in a local radio budget, but the story has always fascinated me.  The notion that it may not be valid because the island has a small population seems to me rather to miss the point of the story itself.

As to the timing, well it takes literally months to arrange such a trip, and only weeks to fix the date of a DQF public announcement.

I love the idea that I'd adopt a false name to post here.  I've never posted anything anonymous online in my life.  Whilst the spite of some posters (Mr 'Soto' for example) is only made practical by hiding identities, I really can't see the point of it myself.

Oh, and as to making it clear Ruby - I did explain that it was a holiday, but did so on the, er, radio!

regards all,

Chris

Chris, if you are reading this let me make it clear my post was satire, it wasn't intended maliciously and I apologise if it caused any offence.  I hope you'll note it was the 'Voice' who was using all sorts of management speak and had a rather silly job title.  I was painting you as the innocent.

As it is I can honestly say I heard the piece on Nicks show but must have missed the bit when they said you were on hols as I didn't hear it mentioned.

Ruby

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2011, 08:43:44 AM »
Thank you Chris for making everything clear.  We, by no means, ever wish to cause offence to anyone, and apologise to your family if we did. 

One good thing about a forum like this, is that things can get "sorted out" and aired.  I am sorry that I missed your "holiday announcement" on the radio.  We are always tuned in to Solent every day but, as you can imagine, not every minute, as we have busy lives.

We hope you enjoyed your holiday, it was an experience never to be forgotten.

Regards Ruby.

Ruby

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2011, 03:07:48 PM »
But have to add that I hope you wil be speaking out about the DQF proposals. I believe several staff are to be lost at your station. And you were not there at the time of the grim announcements. Also you will need to get your listeners engaged and you should listen to them. Your decision to cancel Mike's afternoon show on Sundays , when it had a healthy listenership is of concern. Please reassure that it was not a pre DQF decision to cancel these popular shows(Folkwaves as an example) to control the potential protest before the DQF?

Do not let me down here , lets see what a good managing editor will say.

Tiger

Hello Tiger,

Sorry, but I did not have time to respond to your post this morning, as I was just about to go out.

Thanks for bringing the subject of Mike Powell's wonderful programme, which we all miss on a Sunday.

Programmes like Mikes, and presenters like Mike, brought the Solent and Southern Stations family closer together.  Now that we seem to have had to go our separate ways on a Sunday, we have lost the family atmosphere. 

I wonder, with the proposed merging of stations, we could again return to the family Sundays we used to have, with Mr. Powell at the helm?  I do hope so.  Surely it would make financial sense.  But what do I know, a humble listener and no connections with the BBC at all, apart from being a license fee payer.

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2011, 06:16:46 PM »
Dear Ruby,

I agree,

There was no justification to cut Mike Powell's excellent sunday program. It was interactive and live and represented what BBC local radio should be. And that was reflected in the listening figures.

I have to say, that I suspect that it was an early victim in the pre Delivering Quality Last proposals, and management decided to  axe popular shows out of peak time to control protest. There are other examples of that happening elsewhere.

At the moment, we have not had that confirmed or denied, because a member of this forum,who is the managing editor has not expressed any view?

Quite disappointing,

Tiger X
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 06:19:41 PM by Tiger »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter