The revised petition to Save BBC Local Radio and campaign thread. in BBC Local Radio Board - Page 1
Username:  Password: 
Login with Social Media Follow BBCRadioForum on Twitter

Author Topic:  The revised petition to Save BBC Local Radio and campaign thread.  (Read 6415 times)

Tiger

• View Profile
Hello, this is the revised petition. I can change or add to it, please advise. Your comments, of course will be the most valuable part against your name.

http://www.petitionbuzz.com/petitions/theindependentbbc

Please start circulating where you can.

And we need a central place to inform about protests etc and ideas, so let us start here.

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
Re: The revised petition to Save BBC Local Radio and campaign thread.
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 07:53:59 PM »
Words are wonderful and powerful things Tiger, so much so that it's worth putting it here too.

To Chris Patten, Chair of The BBC Trust  and Mark Thompson, Director General of the BBC,

On Thursday 6 October 2011 Mark Thompson unveiled a number of proposals to cut spending at the corporation to respond to freezing of the licence fee.One of these proposals is to reduce programming on BBC Local radio to peak time  broadcasts. During the afternoon the stations will amalgamate with other stations. Between 7pm and 10pm there will be national programming shared by every station.

This is devastating news for anyone who values their BBC Local radio station for what it is and what it should be.If these proposals are implemented BBC local radio will be damaged beyond repair and once diluted and destroyed it will be almost impossible to reclaim. BBC local radio has always been at the bottom of the foodchain and is almost underfunded.It does not deserve to become a victim of this attempt to economise.

BBC local radio must be shown respect by those who manage it, they are after all only temporary custodians of it. Their value is to react to the days news both national and local and provide the opportunity for listeners to have their say to local MPs and representatives of councils etc as they are put on air, BBC local radio is very interactive in its nature and many listeners rely upon it as a point of social contact. It is also an invaluable source of local information and news.It also acts as a parish notice board for communities and it gives considerable coverage to local charities and voluntary groups. BBC Introducing is at the heart of BBC local radio and gives a platform to local bands and musicians.

BBC local radio is part of our democracy at a grass roots level and to damage it will be to damage our democracy.

We the undersigned, value BBC Local Radio and hope that you continue to respect it and protect it as a valuable part of Our BBC.  The role of the BBC at a local level is to provide a public service and  if it is reduced to a limited service and networked  it will be very damaging and will would more than likely spell the end of its life as a broadcasting medium. We come from across the country, including our capital, but are united in support of BBC local radio.

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 07:00:07 PM »
It is really fantastic that the petition has gained almost 300 names and comments in 2 days. Thanks go to Lyn who has been circulating it incredibly well. It also has appeared on media websites.

I have contacted the Petition BUZZ hosts today, because on first using the petition the names and comments do not show, you have to click on signatures to view, it seems they have overdone the facebook app, which does not show the value of the petition. Hopefully that can be put right asap . The petition is not a facebook one, which is misleading at the moment.

Darcy, has been asking for helpers in the campaign and we have many now. We will issue an email/news letter soon giving a generic "facebook post" it is about posting it on the right local groups in local areas. Most importantly it is about anyones ideas and action  and coming together as listeners and supporters of our local stations. 
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 07:07:52 PM by Tiger »

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 07:39:09 PM »
Growl!

I am hoping that the petition hosts will remove the facebook app, I HAVE TO REPEAT IN ORDER TO SEE THE COMMENTS ON THE PETITION YOU HAVE TO CLICK ON SIGNATURES AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PETITION. ok sorry for that I am amending the petition as well to include that message, whilst the hosts sort it out. I have had no suggestions for other things to be included, but think we ought to mention sports coverage?

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 05:50:21 PM »
So today I finally got around to starting threads for three of campaigns that we know about

Save BBC London Radio

Save Saturday Nights With Jim Hawkins

and another show threatened with being cut, the very popular

Colin Young's Trunk of Funk

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 07:50:55 PM »
Growl!

I am hoping that the petition hosts will remove the facebook app, I HAVE TO REPEAT IN ORDER TO SEE THE COMMENTS ON THE PETITION YOU HAVE TO CLICK ON SIGNATURES AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PETITION. ok sorry for that I am amending the petition as well to include that message, whilst the hosts sort it out. I have had no suggestions for other things to be included, but think we ought to mention sports coverage?

It seems the petition hosts have now resolved the problem.

So it is now getting it out there. As said I will post generic posting post asap that we can use. It will be a democratic thing, so change it and amend it , the important thing will be to circulate to local groups in your area who may be unaware that their BBC local service is being threatened. They will have to act by joining the consultation  with The Trust and signing the pet.

We need local charities, WI groups,  football clubs, Local bands, etc etc
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 07:53:20 PM by Tiger »

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 09:18:57 PM »
Just a word here to many stations.

I have tried to post many facebook links today to the petition and to raise awareness. And some stations have no functioning facebook pages. That will be a problem in making listeners aware. And needs to be put right.

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 04:09:27 PM »
This is an email that I have sent to all managing editors on BBC local stations today. The petition is an ongoing dialogue and can be used wherever it is needed.

Dear Managing Editor,

I represent many listeners to BBC local radio.

They are very concerned about the proposals introduced as Delivering Quality
First.

Many of these listeners depend upon your station.

Please could you read all of the comments contained within our petition,
many mention your station.

This is an opportunity for you to see how BBC local radio is valued by those
who listen to it.

Many listeners do not have internet access so our current total of 2,500
names and comments for an internet petition is considerable.

Please do your best to inform many of your listeners of the proposals and
advise them of the Trust's consultation.

I have to say that Pauline Causey(BBC Radio Cornwall) has been an
inspiration.

The petition is here.

The important action is for you to read the many, many comments in support
of your station.

However, any replies would be appreciated and published(if you wish)

My thanks for your time in reading the comments,

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2011, 05:35:19 PM »
Please support BBC Radio London.

http://londonist.com/2011/10/cuts-to-bbc-london-radio-a-cabbies-view.php

circulate this link post it anywhere that you can.

This is the first real protest demo against the cuts to BBC local service broadcasting.

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2011, 09:13:07 PM »
I have just become aware of this petition.

It is about the cuts in general.

But there is a space for comment..so please use it to defend your BBC local station or BBC local radio in general.

http://www.38degrees.org.uk/BBC-stop-the-cuts

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2011, 10:53:56 PM »
Further campaigns, I know some are on other threads here but as long as they are being viewed, that is what matters.

http://newsandreviews.liverpoolacoustic.co.uk/2011/11/we-need-your-help-to-save-folkscene-and.html

www.dontsinklocalradio.co.uk
(thankyou Rita for this, I have the emails and we will give coverage to all that is being done on this site, it is very important )

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter