Username:  Password: 
Login with Social Media Follow BBCRadioForum on Twitter

Author Topic:  Richard Bacon  (Read 5528 times)

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
Richard Bacon
« on: December 14, 2011, 08:13:33 PM »
I found myself in Mr. Bacons company yesterday afternoon for the first time since Wimbledon.  Or should that be Celebrity Wimbledon, I have no interest in what Barabara Windsor doesn't know about tennis and I'm at a loss to explain why anyone else should care...

Anyway, there is something likable about Richard, I know he divides opinion, he is a fan of local radio and seems to spend a lot of his time broadcasting with his head in the clouds but does occasionally come down to visit planet earth.  I think it's his vague innocent enthusiam, although there is also the nagging thought that he never really knows what he's talking about?  Perhaps he'll make DG someday.  Although having said that you can hear Richard listening to his guests and digesting what they have to say.

So after an interesting interview with Nick Broomfield about his latest film about Sarah Palin, we came to the weekly TV review.   It transpired that regulars Boyd Hilton and Kevin O'Sullivan had come a cropper on the train network due to high winds, couldn't make it to Manchester and so had to do their contribution from BBC Stoke.  I'm sure there's a good explanation why they have to actually be in Salford in person to discuss X Factor and My Big Fat Gypsy Christmas but I can't seem to put my finger on it.

Tiger

• View Profile
Re: Richard Bacon
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 09:58:59 PM »
I also confess, to being quite fond of Richard Bacon.

He is as you describe..and he can be delightful because of that.

As to why..the TV review regulars actually had to go to Salford sums up how absurd Salford the pantomime is becoming! ..it is a very bad joke, and an expensive one...

But unless more speak out..it will carry on.

Chris Patten said in front of the Culture, Media and Sports Committee, on Tuesday that he had visited Salford 3 times and all staff were very "happy" with 5 live etc being in Salford. and they were enjoying the change.so we have to assume that is the case?

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 10:13:58 PM »
Well done, to Richard Bacon.

He has stood up to the trolls on the internet (BBC3 Anti-social Network 19/3/2012)

If nothing else, we can see that they are sad geeks in bedrooms, with no understanding of humanity.

And I have to say , that I know what it is like, when the bullies gather on sites like Digital Spy, I thought I was a strong person, but the spite is incredible and harming, and you try to deal with it as a human being and betray emotion and then they go for the kill..horrible!

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 07:15:36 PM »
Oh dear old Richard was slightly irritable today, had a noticeable short fuse,  kept crashing his jingles and when Scottish secretary for finance John Swinney attempted to duck out of buying his round the Bacon was not having any of it.  Gotta love him.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 07:16:27 PM by BBCRadioForum »

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 09:53:32 AM »
Actually, Darcy, good timing.

Richard has written this week's Radio Head column for The Radio Times.

(Eddie Mair is away, but no fear is back next week, I am just about coping!)

Anyway, Richard's column is all about what he says is THE GREATEST RADIO SHOW" you never listen to.

"The show is "The Beat" a Saturday night new music show that has been running on BBC Nottingham for 23 years. To the initiated it is the greatest radio show in Britain. Its host ,Dean Jackson, IS ONE OF THE GREAT UNSUNG HEROS OF BROADCAST RADIO. Midweek he is a teacher, by the weekend he's a superstar DJ, presenting and producing an entertainment show with a superhuman knack for regognising new talent.

Richard goes on to say..

"The beat is a slam dunk argument FOR THE EXISTENCE OF BBC LOCAL RADIO"

Hope he shares that with David Holdworth!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p001d7gq

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 07:28:41 PM »
I was wondering the other day if you were to take Vanessa Feltz and Richard Bacon and put them together to front a radio programme, what would happen?  I'd listen..

I'm not sure things would get as explosive as they did on the Sunday Politics at the weekend but who knows.  As usual, Richard's programme today was the mix!

This was my highlight.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 07:29:41 PM by BBCRadioForum »

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 10:29:19 AM »
Richard coaches Russell Brand before his Question Time appearance.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 10:29:56 AM by BBCRadioForum »

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2013, 09:17:08 PM »
Great clip of John Bishop on with Richard and Mark Easton earlier in the week.

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2014, 08:58:01 PM »
With just two weeks before he makes a lot of people really disappointed/happy and leaves 5Live, Richard this week chatted with former BBC Chair of Governors Sir Christopher Bland about the BBC, the billion pounds spent on Broadcasting House, Salford, the licence fee and Jimmy Savile.

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 10:39:32 PM »
Richard Bacon leaves 5 Live tomorrow 24/9/2014.

I will miss him. The show is not easy to present he has to react to the news while dealing with the egos of those that he interviews as he often breaks into their interviews etc. His strength is that he takes the show with those he is interviewing into the news agenda. I have to say that there were times, however, that Richard was not up to speed and that was frustrating, but overall this lack of  topical and political grasp and naivity was engaging and meant that he asked questions that perhaps needed to be asked.?

There is no doubt from listening to his shows over the last 3 weeks that he does understand the questions that the BBC should answer about its problems over the last few years. Like Victoria Derbyshire he is not scared to tackle that. And I hope that he does not feel that he is now gagged.

Richard and Piers Morgan and Boyd and Kevin  Robert Peston, James Corden will bury the show tomorrow.

The text of the day will be "What will you miss the least about this show"

Text 85058 EMAIL; bacon@bbc.co.uk

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2014, 10:08:55 PM »
"Byee Byee," Richard in his own words!

I do have to record that to his credit Richard read all of the texts today, I mean by that those for and against. The interview with Piers Morgan kind of summed up the show. It was a bit lovie, but after the interview Richard had to say that the Mirror Group were now being investigated for phone hacking! A bit of a scoop, stumbled upon!

Very best wishes to Richard Bacon, he is engaging and charming and I think he tried hard to engage an afternoon audience. I was happy to be part of that at times. I will never forget the conversations with Steve Evans and Richard , that was radio at it's very best and most powerful.

And I have to say the TV review with Boyd and Kevin are going to be missed as well. Not least because Richard had not actually watched the programs and wanted to talk about what he had watched?!

Hope the new format delivers?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/dailybacon
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 10:53:28 PM by Tiger »

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2014, 09:11:11 PM »
Dear old Richard, I shall miss him too.  Undoubtedly there were moments when he could be a frustrating listen but there were many hours of ear candy too.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter