Username:  Password: 
Login with Social Media Follow BBCRadioForum on Twitter

Author Topic:  What Will BBC Cuts Mean For Local Music  (Read 3430 times)

Tiger

• View Profile
What Will BBC Cuts Mean For Local Music
« on: January 12, 2012, 10:20:30 AM »

Rob Dix.Artist manager and music startup founder
GET UPDATES FROM Rob Dix
   L.What Will BBC Cuts Mean for Local Music?
Posted: 11/1/12 00:00 GMT
 How should the BBC achieve cuts of 20% across the board? Maybe a cut in executive pay, sacking Chris Moyles or taking fewer taxis would be a start. Instead, they're proposing cutting BBC Introducing - a network of local radio shows playing new music from the area, and feeding into a national Radio 1 show. The Introducing show is the very definition of public service (and something a commercial operator wouldn't touch), and life for musicians outside London will be much tougher without it.

Of course, the internet was meant to decentralise and fragment the media, but instead, Radio 1 is more totemic than ever. You can have all the 'likes' and streams and tweets you want, but making the Radio 1 playlist or not is often the difference between ubiquity and obscurity. And to get there, with few exceptions, you'll need the brand of a major label or the heft of an expensive radio plugger behind you.

Even then, you're still subject to the whims of the very few people with all the power - people frantically trying to work out what teenagers want so they can fulfil their remit. (Teenagers, of course, want to find their music through Rinse FM and play it off YouTube through their phones, which means the battle is lost anyway.)

BBC Introducing is a way for bands to bypass all this nonsense. You can upload your music to your local Introducing show's website, and have it played out by your local DJ, who can also submit it to Radio 1 for the main Introducing show. And every week, one track which came through this route is selected to be played once a day on high-profile shows.

So as a 17-year-old kid sitting in Swindon with no major machinery behind you, you can upload a track one evening and end up playlisted on national radio. Which is exactly what happened to Jess Hall, whose track Play Shy was played seven times on Radio 1 in November. "It's still hard to believe it happened," says Jess, "but I've had so much interest so quickly afterwards it's just changed everything."

Artists like Jess rely on the enthusiasm of their local BBC DJ to champion them and get them heard higher up the chain. Without this local aspect, the music industry could become more London-centric than ever. In Belfast, geographic isolation makes it hard for musicians to make connections in London, and prominent local musicians say that Introducing is the only way they can come to wider attention. In Scotland (where Introducing has given a leg-up to the likes of Paolo Nutini and Biffy Clyro) a local blogger organised a mass busking protest outside BBC Scotland. They know that without this support it'll be harder to avoid moving to London, playing the game, being part of the bunfight.

But busk all you like - the proposal to cut Introducing will never get the weight of popular opinion behind it in the way the 6Music campaign did. Because the casual listener won't notice its impact until it's too late. When we're listening to the radio in three years' time and never hearing a regional accent, we'll be wishing BBC execs could have just taken a few fewer cabs and left Introducing well alone.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/rob-dix/bbc-introducing_b_1196011.html

News Mutt

• View Profile
Re: What Will BBC Cuts Mean For Local Music
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 07:35:03 PM »
As far as I know, BBC Introducing will be protected post DQF.

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 09:29:27 PM »
Yes, that was said after the DQF proposals were announced and was a possible attempt to limit damage when the scale of the cuts were announced. But if there is to be networking out of peak hours..then how would that work? I am being cynical but it was not stated in the DQF proposals.

The above article was written by someone within the music industry and one of the comments on the page is from Luciana Berger..therefore unless there is a categorical statement from the BBC Executive that BBC Introducing will continue supported and unchanged then I think that it would be correct to assume that it will be a victim of the salami cutting?

It will be tricky, because most of the Introducing shows are within those areas that are perceived to be lambs necks..and ripe for a pan England broadcast.

News Mutt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 09:42:20 PM »
Not quite sure what you mean by your last paragraph, since every station has a BBC Introducing strand somewhere in the schedule, all be some shows under a different name.

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 10:35:51 PM »
The BBC Introducing programs are off peak, and therefore fall into the proposals to network.

So , unless there is to be National/Pan Introducing program, (that would be absurd.).how would it work?

News Mutt

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 09:16:57 AM »
It really depends how you map out the schedule. Until we have the final plans it's hard to say. But here are a few ideas.

Where I live, BBC Introducing is already a regional programme and has been since its inception. Somit could fit into any of the off peak regional slots - weekdays from 10pm, Saturdays at 6pm, Sunday afternoons.

Alternatively, stations could move Introducing to peak slots : 6pm weekdays, 12 noon Saturdays etc.

Believe me, Introducing is seen as a very important brand.

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 12:11:11 AM »
Until that actually comes into play..or there is some clear statement, BBC Introducing is at risk. There is nothing in the DQF proposals to protect it.

News Mutt

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 10:57:27 AM »
Perhaps not. Although Radio 2 and 6 Music are running a big on air campaign for BBC Introducing right now. I don't think they'd be doing on two network stations that if it were about to vanish.

DQF does not and would not name specific shows and presenters (ok, a shared afternoon show, but it doesn't say where from, ditto evenings). It's a much broader document than that.

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 06:57:17 PM »
Well, I am concerned if you are defending DQF for being broad(ie an unspecific document that can mean anything, depending upon the protest spots!)

FACT is that with pan England broadcasts and regional shows, the chances of local bands being heard in their communities diminish..and any supporting play out on the playlists will vanish, c'est la droit!

News Mutt

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 12:40:41 PM »
I'm not defending anything. I am presenting you with the fact that BBC Introducing is being heavily plugged on network radio, and that even with a revised schedule, you could still fit that strand in to peak time output.

I'd really rather you didn't twist my words each time I attempt to explain something to you. It's a rather unsavoury way of trying to debate a topic.

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2012, 06:50:17 PM »
I am not twisting your words..

I have heard what you have said that BBC Introducing is being advertised on national channels, and you have said that DQF is a broad document. I am entitled to have an opinion about that . If proposals are being put forward, then they should be very clear. The DQF is a mud impression so far as BBC Introducing is concerned. The proposals state(do they not?) that off peak programs will be networked and there will be a pan England broadcast in the evenings.

Please accept my view that this may put BBC Introducing at risk as a valid question, without resorting to a personal attack, which is very unusal for this forum.

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2012, 11:21:31 PM »
Perhaps not. Although Radio 2 and 6 Music are running a big on air campaign for BBC Introducing right now. I don't think they'd be doing on two network stations that if it were about to vanish.

DQF does not and would not name specific shows and presenters (ok, a shared afternoon show, but it doesn't say where from, ditto evenings). It's a much broader document than that.

It is an odd one this, I've head the noticable on-air campaign on the nationals and yet in years I can count on the fingers of one hand how many trails I've heard for the local version.  Not sure if that is true in all areas.

I had a discussion on Twitter with the Head of Comms for English Regions who said they were 'committed' to Introducing but would not be drawn further.  A show such as Bob Fischers on BBC Tees which runs 8-10pm which incorporates Introducing along with local arts would disappear in it's current format, it would be a terrible shame as it's a real jewel.  I'm sure it's not the only one.  BBC Introducing is great on National because of it roots in Local, start digging around with them and, well....

News Mutt

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 08:55:35 AM »
A fair point Darcy. Local trails for such shows do vary around the country. On my station it's certainly plugged a lot - not via recorded trails so much but presenters "talking up" the show in their own programmes, and occasionally playing snippets of te excellent live sessions.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter