Username:  Password: 
Login with Social Media Follow BBCRadioForum on Twitter

Author Topic:  Planet Salford! BBC under fire over local jobs! are we surprised ?no!  (Read 19119 times)

Tiger

• View Profile
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/media/tv-radio/bbc-under-fire-over-local-jobs-at-salford-site-6291249.html

So we have employees of the BBC having to commute at expense, and at expense to their personal lives, the reason flagged was..lets regenerate the North..blah blah ..I really think that 26 jobs is pathetic . It is quite clear that Planet Salford may well be seen as a reason for the increasing lack of respect for BBC management. And that should not be allowed to creep to a disrespect for the BBC in general, but it may.

Someone has to take responsibity for this mess?

News Mutt

• View Profile
You seem to have it in for Salford by any means possible. I'm not sure why. I don't hear many employees of BBC Radio Manchester or North West tonight complaining about their new environment.

There's not a single quote from any employees about what they think. Nor does it address the wider issue of ecnomic bebefits brought by thousands of people relocating to a region.

The Independent's article also appears to be a rehash of a story - several days old - from the Manchester Evening News.

Tiger

• View Profile
Surely, you are aware that Salford has attracted very serious critism.?

I would be shocked if staff at BBC radio Manchester were unhappy at relocating!!

BBC suits said at the beginning that their HR strategy was a quest for diversity and would directly target local people from disadvantaged backgrounds. 26 appointments are very low and it is completely justified for that to be questioned.

However, as is true of all controversy a balance is to be encouraged for debate.

I am sure this forum would be interested to hear your reasons for supporting Salford, if indeed that is the case...

News Mutt

• View Profile
I've already outlined my main reasons for supporting Salford, namely the economic benefit to the wider North West region of hundreds of people relocating. Then there's the job opportunities for staff in the regions who might be able to get a step up to network to fill posts vacated by those unwilling to relocate. Plus the wider view from BBC staff in the regions that, at last, the Corporation is seeing beyond its London centric mindset.

As I said, the report you posted was a rehash of another report from another newspaper. So third had at best. At worst, sloppy journalism.

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
Was that the reason for the move then?  The wider economic benefit of the North West?  I can't believe, they have added Economic & Social Regeneration to Inform, Educate and Entertain?

News Mutt

• View Profile
Why shouldn't an organisation which employs 20,000 people contribute to ecnomic regeneration outside London? I've since been doing some further reading on this, and it would seem that the story originated not in the Manchester Evening News, but the Salford Star. So te Telegraph's original story was, at best, third or fourth hand.

That said, the same paper did a wider analysis.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/bbc/9031837/Media-City-Can-the-BBC-save-Salford.html

And drilling down to those figures, out of 529 jobs advertised, 233 went to people with a Greater Manchester postcode. 67,000 people applied - perhaps unsurprising given the wider economic situation.

Perhaps, therefore, it ain't so grim up north.

Tiger

• View Profile
This is quite a good deconstruction of the flawed idealogy behind Salford. Tim Luckhurst is a professor of journalism.

http://www.bjr.org.uk/data/2011/no2_luckhurst

It is certainly bonkers for BBC management on the one hand to put forward Salford for an inclusion of outside London broadcasting and then in the same breath come up with DQF proposals to damage BBC local stations making them network and carrying pan england broadcasts. It is this sort of contradiction that exposes the flaws.

Also, of course the whole thing is almost farcical. It is a fact that politics operate in London and to ask a polition to hop on a train or plane to go to a live interview in Salford is absurd so as we can now see they are interviewed through a link to a London studio or telephone line. In the year 2012 this is a retrograde step. Broadcasting should be moving forwards not backwords. And all those sports broadcasters having to race between London and Salford is just silly.

News Mutt

• View Profile
Shall we bust a few myths here?

A huge portion of political interviews for Five Live, Radio 4 and Radio 2 have been done for many years "down the line" from the BBC's studios in Millbank, Westminster. Local radio stations also make use of this excellent facility. When politicians are in their constituencies, they often go to the BBC local sttation for network interviews. And in many cases network station will send a radio car to the MPs house.

None of which changes with Five Live being in Salford.

As for sports reporters, coverage of the biggest Premier League matches has, for many years, involved London based reporters frequently travelling to Manchester, Liverpool, Newcastle and so on - though it's also fair to say that a good number of said reporters are, in fact, based right across the UK. So by that logic, surely it's bonkers to have them travelling down to London so often?

So the reality is that travel costs for those reporters is unlikely to change substantially.

Tiger

• View Profile

No it is not about myths here, I take the point, of course that some interviews are conducted anyway down the line, but to have little opportunity for live in studio interview looks shabby and the BBC needs to protect its excellent reputation in an increasingly competitive media market place. And the Westminster village is about more than the MPs..for example I found it excellent radio when Richard Bacon often decamps to College Green for his show at times of political importance and grabs many off the cuff interviews etc..that would no longer be possible. And what about BBC Breakfast.?

As you have shown BBC local radio does suceed with MPs on their home territory, which exposes the contradiction with Salford and the proposals to damage BBC local radio.

I am sure that there will be many, many requests to see the expenses of sports reportage, post the Salford move and as the Olympics start to impact.

Anyway, Tim Luckhurst says a lot of relevant things on this, and certainly better than I can ,it is well worth reading his article.

News Mutt

• View Profile
Sorry Tiger but when it comes to the mechanics of how radio interviews at Westminster work, you're simply wrong. Key Westminster events, such as PMQs, continue to be broadcast from Westminster by the likes of John Pienaar.

None of which changes with Five Live being in Salford.

The reality seems to be that you've got it in for Salford and will continue to find articles that support your argument. I simply don't have the time nor inclination to respond time and time again. I've given you my views, offered you an insight into the workings of a live radio network. If you can't or won't accept that, so be it.

Tim Luckhurst's article is interesting as far as it goes - but strikes me as a bitter rant from an ex employee of the Corporation. There's a lot of it about.

Tiger

• View Profile
I find your post personal and aggressive and an attempt to inflame argument for argument sake.

You will find that there is much debate about Salford on other forums.

I agree with the camp that has questioned the philosophy behind it. That is my opinion and I am prepared for that to be challenged but not in the way that you have chosen.No one is ever simply wrong!!

Tim Luckhurst is a respected academic , with a very impressive history in broadcasting and journalism, who I heard speaking on BBC radio Kent, when the networking trials were introduced, and he impressed me with his views. I am not sure that a bitter rant from an ex employee would be an appropriate response to his article..
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 09:11:07 PM by Tiger »

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
Why shouldn't an organisation which employs 20,000 people contribute to ecnomic regeneration outside London? I've since been doing some further reading on this, and it would seem that the story originated not in the Manchester Evening News, but the Salford Star. So te Telegraph's original story was, at best, third or fourth hand.

That said, the same paper did a wider analysis.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/bbc/9031837/Media-City-Can-the-BBC-save-Salford.html

And drilling down to those figures, out of 529 jobs advertised, 233 went to people with a Greater Manchester postcode. 67,000 people applied - perhaps unsurprising given the wider economic situation.

Perhaps, therefore, it ain't so grim up north.
Something tells me you're not a Telegraph fan...

Sorry, I think I did ask the question of you first?  What was the purpose of the move in the first place?  I don't believe it is(?), or should be within the remit of the BBC to consider itself some kind of modern day missionary, to deliver to citizens of any part of the country, jobs, meeting pods or handfuls of gold coins to local property developers.  Please feel free to explain how I am mistaken.

News Mutt

• View Profile
Darcy

I think that the BBC's remit is to reflect the UK's nations and regions in its output and I believe that Salford demonstrates that it is not the London centric, middle England organisation that the likes of the Telegraph and Daily Mail would like it it to be.

I might bounce the question back to you. What justification is there for the BBC remaining as a broadcaster with the majority of its buildings and staff in the south east of England?

Regardless of whether it should or shouldn't, 233 jobs out of 529 isn't a bad tally. Even you must agree with that?

Tiger

I apologise if you feel that I somehow should only be challenging you on your terms rather than anyone else's. With that in mind I might as well pledge to never, ever argue a point with you again.

So much for the freedom of speech and the robust debate you frequently quote...

Tiger

• View Profile
Yes well, if you actually are prepared to behave responsibly..and argue the case rather than just resorting to personal insult then go ahead. You have failed to actually address the points made..so what really is the point?

The issues are the important thing , not the messengers.

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
I think that the BBC's remit is to reflect the UK's nations and regions in its output and I believe that Salford demonstrates that it is not the London centric, middle England organisation that the likes of the Telegraph and Daily Mail would like it it to be.

I might bounce the question back to you. What justification is there for the BBC remaining as a broadcaster with the majority of its buildings and staff in the south east of England?

Regardless of whether it should or shouldn't, 233 jobs out of 529 isn't a bad tally. Even you must agree with that?

I would say there is justification in not spending hundreds of millions of pounds of licence payers money and then not having to DQF things as is now happening.  In much the same way that I am lacking in understanding for the reasons to move to Salford, I would not understand a move to the Isle of Wight, or anywhere else, seemingly for the sake of it?

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter