Username:  Password: 
Login with Social Media Follow BBCRadioForum on Twitter

Author Topic:  Charlie Chaplin & Jimmy Savile  (Read 34157 times)

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
Charlie Chaplin & Jimmy Savile
« on: February 12, 2012, 11:15:15 AM »
One of strangest tales of recent history is that involving the body of Charlie Chaplin, which was stolen from it's resting place and held for ransom.  I know it happened, it's a truth, and yet it still seems completely bizarre...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/may/17/newsid_2512000/2512129.stm

And then there's this:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/bbc/9073142/BBC-buried-Savile-sex-abuse-claims-to-save-its-reputation.html

BBC 'buried Savile sex abuse claims to save its reputation

The BBC shelved a Newsnight investigation into allegations that Sir Jimmy Savile sexually abused a teenage girl in his dressing room at Television Centre, it has emerged.

The woman claimed that the presenter molested her when she was 14 or 15 after inviting her to recordings of Clunk Click, his 1970s BBC family show.

Newsnight tracked down several other women who claimed that Savile used his role on the programme to groom and abuse teenage girls.

Reporters on the current affairs programme were also told of claims that two other celebrities, both still alive, sexually abused girls at Television Centre in the 1970s.

The BBC had hoped to broadcast the Newsnight report in December, two months after Saviles death, but bosses ordered that the investigation be dropped.

Instead, the corporation screened two tribute programmes celebrating Saviles lengthy BBC career as presenter of Jimll Fix It and Top of the Pops, and also as a Radio 1 DJ.

The BBC now stands accused of covering up the allegations, which were detailed in The Oldie magazine, because senior executives did not want the corporations reputation to be tarnished.

A BBC News source said: The extreme nature of the claims about Savile meant that the Newsnight report was going to seriously compromise the lavish BBC tributes scheduled to run later the same month.

And second, the allegations directly involved the BBC, in that the woman who gave the interview said that she and others were abused by Savile on BBC premises.

All of the women making the allegations were former pupils of Duncroft Approved School in Staines, Surrey, where Savile was a regular visitor.

Two claimed that Savile took them for drives in his car and rewarded them with gifts of cigarettes, records, money and places in the Clunk Click studio audience in return for sexual favours.

In 2007, Surrey Police received a complaint from a woman who said she was indecently assaulted by Savile at Duncroft in the 1970s. The allegation was investigated but no further action was taken.

Neither Surrey Police nor the Metropolitan Police have been contacted by the BBC regarding the fresh allegations.

A Newsnight spokesman refused to answer any questions about the report or to deny that Helen Boaden, the corporations news chief, was personally involved in the decision to kill it. Any suggestion that a story was dropped for anything other than editorial reasons is completely untrue, the spokesman said.

The BBC gathers information on hundreds of stories and not all make it to air. In this case the angle we were pursuing could not be substantiated.

Mark Thompson, the BBC director-general, knew that the Newsnight team were working on the story but is understood to have played no part in the decision to shelve it.

Sources said that he was made aware of the investigation shortly before it was dropped, but it was mentioned in passing at a social function and he was in no way involved in the decision to drop it.

Savile died in October, aged 84, after a career of broadcasting and charity campaigning. The flamboyant star was one of the BBCs most recognisable faces. He hosted the first edition of Top of the Pops in 1964 and the last in 2006.

In the early 1970s, he promoted the use of seatbelts with a campaign that used the Clunk click every trip slogan. The BBC retained the name for Saviles first solo television series, which ran from 1973-74 and was a forerunner to Jimll Fix It. The Saturday tea-time show featured a mix of music and celebrity chat.

At the time of Saviles death, Mr Thompson said on behalf of the BBC: From Top Of The Pops to Jimll Fix It, Jimmys unique style entertained generations of BBC audiences. Like millions of viewers and listeners we shall miss him greatly.

What IS this story from the Telegraph, first reported in The Oldie magazine?  The kind of abuse implied here destroys lives and people and has far reaching consequences.  It turns my stomach to think that someone would choose to take the allegations of suffering and try to turn them into an attack against the BBC as a whole.  And yet you have to wonder then why did Newsnight decide to dig over Mr. Saviles bones?

News Mutt

• View Profile
Re: Charlie Chaplin & Jimmy Savile
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 05:34:15 PM »
I think there are two different issues here.

1. The Telegraph seems to be fast becoming the new Daily Mail when it comes to attacking the BBC. As a journalist, I'd be minded to agree that the potential story on Newsnight wasn't "shelved" because of a conflict with tribute shows, but because there were editorial or legal doubts about the story in the first place. This is a high profile example, but there are plenty others - in every newsroom - where "red hot" stories have hit the buffers because of the lawyers. It's part of the territory.

2. I can't say for sure why Newsnight would choose to investigate this story in the first place. But again, as a journalist, you come by information all the time which COULD (but rarely does) come to anything once it's been checked. And there's a fine line between "digging through bones" and broadcasting a story which is genuinely in the public interest.

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 08:38:24 PM »
Not really sure, that this is a "story" that might come to nothing?

The words cover up come to mind, and indeed in these months when proper investigative journalism is under scrutiny it seems a shame that pressure was put on Newsnight to withdraw their report.

Seems that connections in the highest places have more power than a free press..that is not right.

News Mutt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 08:45:52 AM »
Well there are effectively only two people below Mark Thompson who could have made this decision. Helen Boaden, the Director of News, or the Editor of Newsnight, whose name escapes me. Whatever you might think of Ms Boaden as a senior manager, she's a hard working journalist at heart - as is the boss of Newsnight.

So you might say cover up, I stick with editorial decision. As I said before, stories are dropped all the time. This happens to be a high profile example. Perhaps instead of berating the BBC, the Telegraph might see if it can find any truth in the allegations.

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 08:19:47 PM »
I think there are two different issues here.

1. The Telegraph seems to be fast becoming the new Daily Mail when it comes to attacking the BBC. As a journalist, I'd be minded to agree that the potential story on Newsnight wasn't "shelved" because of a conflict with tribute shows, but because there were editorial or legal doubts about the story in the first place. This is a high profile example, but there are plenty others - in every newsroom - where "red hot" stories have hit the buffers because of the lawyers. It's part of the territory.

You know I have no issue with being critical of the BBC when they are valid!  I think it was the headline amongst other things that irked me, there was no need for it. especially when you consider that the story had to have come from inside the BBC in the first place.  Very petty and unhelpful.

2. I can't say for sure why Newsnight would choose to investigate this story in the first place. But again, as a journalist, you come by information all the time which COULD (but rarely does) come to anything once it's been checked. And there's a fine line between "digging through bones" and broadcasting a story which is genuinely in the public interest.

I think there is absolutely a public interest story here and no doubt so did Newsnight.  Richard Ingrams of the Oldie is no twit, nor do I believe, are the Newsnight staff.  I don't suppose this will be the end of it for one moment, hopefully any of those involved will eventually find peace of mind.

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 11:21:34 PM »
Yes, this story should be proved to either be a story or something that needs to be investigated, otherwise the rumours will become reality.

And it must be very clear that the Telegraph is only responding to leaks from some fairly trustworthy BBC sources.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 11:23:17 PM by Tiger »

News Mutt

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 05:02:04 PM »

And it must be very clear that the Telegraph is only responding to leaks from some fairly trustworthy BBC sources.

How do you know that the sources are trustworthy?

Let me put this into context. I find stories all the time in my line of work, and when they are spiked by my bosses I sometimes get pretty upset about it. I might discuss it with colleagues or friends in other sections of the media - and yes, occasionally I have suggested that the story is worthy of further investigation - if only I had the time and resources to do so.

But that's quite different from what appears to have happened here - a leak specifically about the reasons for dropping a big story. What did the BBC insider here have to gain, other than making the Corporation look weak?

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 02:06:23 PM »

How do you know that the sources are trustworthy?

Let me put this into context. I find stories all the time in my line of work, and when they are spiked by my bosses I sometimes get pretty upset about it. I might discuss it with colleagues or friends in other sections of the media - and yes, occasionally I have suggested that the story is worthy of further investigation - if only I had the time and resources to do so.

But that's quite different from what appears to have happened here - a leak specifically about the reasons for dropping a big story. What did the BBC insider here have to gain, other than making the Corporation look weak?

Well I think the facts are that there was an investigation and it was dropped, I don't think anyone is contending that?  You only need to google Jimmy Savile to see there is an amount of speculative comment out there...

One of the reasons I quoted the Chaplin reference when I started this thread was to demonstrate that no matter how outlandish a story may be, the BBC is possibly the most trusted news organisation on the globe.  If I had quoted the Chaplin tale and linked to any other source they may still be doubt in the mind of anyone reading it.  The BBC has the trust of it's consumers and a story like this is always going to raise questions and rightly so.

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 08:52:44 PM »
Much respect to Liz Green on BBC Leeds who raised this subject on her show yesterday after it appeared in some of the tabloids.  She spoke with a lady who, in her early twenties had had a rather unsavoury meeting with Mr. Saville, who turned very nasty when she made it clear she didn't want to sleep with him.  Knowing the devotion of some to Sir Jimmy up in Yorkshire, it was a brave phone-in to host and indeed Liz had a number of calls from those devoted to him, seemingly some of them are still living in the 1970s.  Worth a listen if you are unsure of how red blooded males should be behaving and how stupid the aforementioned young lady was for trusting someone who she believed to be a decent human being.

Perhaps the curious attitude of some towards being open to the truth is ably demonstrated by this (genuine) contribution from the Daily Mail website.

What ever jimmy might or might not have done in his life, he made up for anything by all his charity work and the people he helped, its totaly wrong to drag up stories like this, when the man his dead and can,t defend his self. Obviously some sleaze or sleaze,s are making money out off this.

One assumes these must have been the thoughts (and punctuation?) of the Newsnight producer too then, when they decide to drop their investigation.

Perhaps, although Surrey Police investigated similar claims in 2007.

All very strange.

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2012, 10:22:03 PM »
Looks like ITV have decided to pick up the Jimmy Savile allegations and run with them...

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2012-09-20/itv-to-screen-documentary-claiming-jimmy-savile-sexually-assaulted-teenage-girls

ITV has confirmed it is to screen a documentary featuring claims that former Top of the Pops host Jimmy Savile sexually assaulted teenage girls during his time as one of TV's most popular figures.

RadioTimes.com understands a number of women have been interviewed for the programme, each alleging that as under-age teenagers they were abused by Savile during the 1970s.

A channel spokesman said the programme was still being edited and declined to comment on reports that the alleged assaults - said to range from indecency to unlawful sex  involved girls as young as 13.

The programme - part of ITV's documentary strand Exposure - is due to be broadcast on 3 October, three weeks before the first anniversary of the former DJ and charity worker's death.

Former police detective and child protection expert Mark Williams-Thomas conducts the programme's investigation. He also presents the channel's criminal chasing series On the Run.

Savile's friends and family have previously dismissed claims he was a sexual predator. Howard Silverman, a friend of 40 years, has said that suggestions of abuse are nonsense.

"Of course we would go out in the 1970s and chat women up but everyone did that at the time, we were single guys and having a good time. But none of the girls were ever unwilling and they were definitely never underage. Jimmy hated anything like that."

Savile, who died last year aged 84, began broadcasting in 1958 on Radio Luxembourg.  In 1964 he presented the first edition of BBC chart show Top of the Pops, beginning a career at the BBC which included work as a Radio 1 DJ and as host of long-running television programme Jimll Fix It.  His considerable charity work during his life is estimated to have raised some 40m for good causes and earned him a knighthood in 1990.

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2012, 10:53:14 PM »
Well, I think we are all bloody fed up with cover ups now!

Lets hope they all come trooping out of their sordid cupboards..

Of course, that would involve some serious challenge to heavy superinjunctions taken out by very wealthy people.

I have to say that people like Max Clifford have a responsibility to society rather than to their wallet(it does not matter how much charity work they do) there are some things that MUST be published in the public interest.

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2012, 08:38:28 PM »
Well the story now seems worthy of headlines on the evening news today. on the BBC .

Probably something to do with The fact that The Sunday Times  have now published the allegations.

And serious questions are being asked by MPs about why the Newsnight 6 week investigation was dropped and importantly why when the BBC heard the fresh allegations also against two other men(BBC stars of the time and still alive) they not only dropped the story but failed the victims and did not inform the police?

Presumably , that BBC boss responsible will make themselves known and not try to cover up the cover up. Lets hope that it will not take too many FOI requests and committee appearances to make them do that, because afterall ,it wastes a huge amount of public time and money.

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2012, 09:54:55 PM »
This is all very odd isn't it?  Something rather nasty appears to have been going on.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-19776872

The bizarre statement from the corporation doesn't help:

In a statement, the BBC said no evidence of allegations on its premises had been found.

"The BBC has conducted extensive searches of its files to establish whether there is any record of misconduct or allegations of misconduct by Sir Jimmy Savile during his time at the BBC. No such evidence has been found.

Do they think people would have been writing to Points Of View or the Complaints Department??

Even Esther Rantzen is getting involved:

Esther Rantzen, who worked as a television presenter at the BBC at the same time Savile was at the height of his fame in the 1970s, said there were rumours about the star.

After watching the alleged victims' evidence as part of the documentary, Rantzen said she believed the testimonies and now thinks the rumours were true.

Anyone bothered asking her where the rumours came from?

Meerkat

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2012, 01:03:41 PM »
The BBC statement will relate to a search of HR/employment/disciplinary records. I suspect a lot of this stuff went on with a multitude of stars. Attitudes were very different in the 60s and 70s. Nowadays safeguarding is key and they wouldn't be left unaccompanied with anyone.

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2012, 05:19:06 PM »
I think that the reaction NOW is important from the BBC.

The Saville story was the main headline on BBC Surrey Breakfast this morning. Thereafter it completely vanished.

Then this eve on PM (Radio 4) it was announced as being covered as the second main story but ended up being crammed into a hurried 4 mins at the end of the program? Eddie Mair apologised and said it was because the BBC had lost its technicals..

Hmmmm

As said elsewhere, the BBC does a wonderful job in holding important players in our democracy to account it is unique in that, BUT if it is unable to hold itself to account, there will be problems with credibility and integrity.

How can it report on Rochdale like cover ups and I believe another one is about to break , whilst not correctly looking at the Saville case..It can't.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter