Username:  Password: 
Login with Social Media Follow BBCRadioForum on Twitter

Author Topic:  Charlie Chaplin & Jimmy Savile  (Read 31265 times)

Tiger

• View Profile
Re: Charlie Chaplin & Jimmy Savile
« Reply #105 on: May 02, 2014, 11:09:42 PM »
I have chosen this thread to say that the conviction and sentence given to Max Clifford today demonstrates that no matter how much some people in power have covered up and protected those in power, justice will win in the end.

It must never be forgotten that senior BBC management tried to censure their own journalists in exposing Savile and they decided to run tribute programs. Mark Thompson, Danny Cohen, Helen Boaden are responsible and Nick Pollard was responsible for protecting them. And the Trust under Chris Patten stood by together with others who should be very ashamed.

That aside, if it had not been for Mark Williams Thomas and the original very brave victims(who had reported their experiences to Newsnight only to be dumped by text by the BBC) and the journalist Miles Goslett who would never let go. There would have been no prosecution of Max Clifford and the victims of child abuse would have suffered even greater pain, whatever their own cases are. Now, at last they know that they will be heard and justice can be delivered, despite those in power using their power to cover up the truth.

Dame Janet Smith needs to ensure that her inquiry has no hint of Pollard in it.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 11:23:28 PM by Tiger »

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 05, 2014, 11:28:31 AM »
I have chosen this thread to say that the conviction and sentence given to Max Clifford today demonstrates that no matter how much some people in power have covered up and protected those in power, justice will win in the end.

The full sentencing comments of the Judge can be read here: http://www.judiciary.gov.uk/Resources/JCO/Documents/Judgments/sentencing-remarks-hhj-leonard-r-v-clifford.pdf

Both unnerving and disturbing, one can only feel happy for his victims and ignore the bizarrely courted remarks of the like of David Mellor and Christine Hamilton as talking heads in the wake of the case.

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 02, 2014, 09:50:28 PM »
I haven't seen tonight's Panorama so I'm not sure whether it contains anything more than Shelley Jofre's report for WatO earlier today?  Or whether the likes of Edwina Currie - or anyone - was given more intense questioning?

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 02, 2014, 11:04:16 PM »
Yes you pose a good question, Darcy.

I am sorry to say that there was not much here to hold those responsible to account. It was a good piece of journalism and ticked boxes in getting some allegations proven. There is no doubt that Savile managed to appoint his friend as control of Broadmoor, for example, which shows how allegations may have been dealt with. But no interview with that person.

The fact that Edwina Currie appointed Savile and gave him power on the task force, should and I guess will go further. We only had an un named civil servant being described as the cheerleader for Savile . But there was huge implication about Thatcher and Prince Charles all sort of presented as unrelated, but actually very related? The report said that Dianna would have nothing to do with Savile? well that is just wrong if anyone has bothered to look at the history books. So bit of dodgy research involved. Dianne visited Broadmoor and engaged. Savile must have been the connection.

So far as the BBC was concerned, there was the inquiry following the suicide of a young girl.(Strange the actual suicide letter has gone missing, which named names and led to the inquiry? that was not covered in the program btw) which led to a recommendation that there should be audience management. And again the controller that responded to that inquiry was un named?

Liz Dux, the lawyer representing the victims said on many news outlets today that this was about holding those in power to account, who let through Savile and turned away from doing the right thing. But I suppose because of documentation disclosure we have no idea who these people are, apart from Edwina Currie and his friend at Broadmoor and Prince Charles and Thatcher.

Of course this was so long ago and everyone was tripping up on their flaired trousers was a bit of the message.

But there is no way that what happened with Newsnight can be put down to a different generation. And that is almost the biggest scandel of all. All those years on and there was a cover up and Mark Thompson said he had heard nothing about Savile..absolutely nothing. Not just me saying this, I cannot resist putting this public comment from the Times here.

"Bishop Jonathan Blake 10 hours ago
We continue to be surprised, but why? We have so much overwhelming evidence that you cannot trust any institution. Gather a group together, allow them to have responsibility and assets and their priorities switch rapidly from protecting the interests of others to their own. So in 1971 the BBC could have prevented the sexual abuse of so many vulnerable young children. They didn't then. They didn't even when they tried to stop the first expose about Savile that rocked the nation.

So let's ponder. All the institutions around us today. Don't trust any one of them. Whatever they claim, they are out for one thing alone. Themselves."

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 28, 2014, 02:09:36 PM »
Former Sunday Mirror editor expresses his regret at failing to expose Knights of the realm, Sir Jimmy Savile and Sir Peter Morrison.

From http://www.exaronews.com

How Paedophile Sir Peter Morrison escaped exposure

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter