Username:  Password: 
Login with Social Media Follow BBCRadioForum on Twitter

Author Topic:  Patten under fire over Bush House farewell.  (Read 4901 times)

Tiger

• View Profile
Patten under fire over Bush House farewell.
« on: February 17, 2012, 08:12:57 PM »
14 February 2012 1:11 PM
Patten under fire over Bush House farewell
The forthcoming party marking the BBC World Services departure from Bush House after 80 years of broadcasting looks set to be more like a wake than a fond farewell.BBC Trust chairman Lord Pattens invitations have gone out but caused outrage when it emerged that many former staff were not invited to the March 1 event and that non-BBC guests deemed opinion formers had been.One former executive considered sufficiently important to figure on the guest list was Sir John Tusa, managing director of the World Service from 1986 to 1993. But Tusa, now chairman of the British Council Clore leadership programme, has declined to attend, dashing off an irate letter to Lord Patten in protest. Dear Chris, he writes. Thank you for your invitation. I will not be attending and I want to tell you why. Despite repeated appeals to WS managers, retired staff have been fobbed off with a variety of pretexts and excuses. There is now real anger among Bush retirees about their exclusion from any farewell event, and for the massive indifference towards them. These are people with whom I worked for at least 25 years. I could not possibly attend an event from which they have been shut out. It sticks in the craw.Signing off, he says the service should have left Bush House in a blaze of celebration but that instead WS management crawl out having humiliated those who made Bush House great in a way they will never comprehend. It has been abjectly managed. Somebody should be ashamed. But Im not holding my breath.

Hmmm pretty sad..that those who should be there are not and "opinion formers"(WTF) who have nothing to do with the World Service at Bush House and its history are being invited. As John Tusa says "WS management crawl out having humiliated those who made Bush House great in a way that they will never comprehend"..sums up the Thompson management and some should be very ashamed..
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 11:50:06 PM by Tiger »

News Mutt

• View Profile
Re: Patten under fire over Bush House farewell.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 10:14:15 PM »
I'm afraid Mr Tusa has been tasting sour grapes ever since he left the BBC. Just my opinion, of course.

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 10:35:36 PM »
Well, I am a bit shocked, I would say that John Tusa has considerable respect for his journalism and his management of the World Service, it is such a shame that you discredit him in the way that you have.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 11:49:15 PM by Tiger »

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 01:54:03 PM »
I'm afraid Mr Tusa has been tasting sour grapes ever since he left the BBC. Just my opinion, of course.

Would love to know why you think that, of course I don't go to the same parties as him and have never met him personally but think you may be being a tad dismissive?

News Mutt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 07:06:47 PM »
John Tusa's rants about the various failings of the BBC (as he sees them) have been well documented in various articles and interviews down the years. That is my opinion.

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 10:52:12 PM »
John Tusa's rants about the various failings of the BBC (as he sees them) have been well documented in various articles and interviews down the years. That is my opinion.

Fair enough, although the last thing I saw him being critical of was the plan to run advertising on the World Service.  Given the recent goings on at World News surely that would have to be of concern to many right-minded staff?  I'm just trying to get a feel for where you believe genuine concern transposes to sour grapes?

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 11:10:31 PM »
Darcy, I agree absolutely.

He should not be condemned for trying to protect the service that he was proud of.

And it is unpleasant that some seem to have picked up words from Wiki to condemn him, it certainly exposes their ignorance, of a very worthy broadcaster and journalist.

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 11:29:50 PM »

He should not be condemned for trying to protect the service that he was proud of.

And it is unpleasant that some seem to have picked up words from Wiki to condemn him, it certainly exposes their ignorance, of a very worthy broadcaster and journalist.

Tiger, given that he was top of their invite list, you would imagine that he is still revered in certain circles and seemingly, quite rightly.

News Mutt

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 08:53:37 AM »

Tiger, could you kindly point me to the specific 'words from Wiki' which I used to condemn him?

Firstly, I didn't condemn Mr Tusa. I simply said that I thought he tended to be rather bitter about his former employers. Similar stories have emerged from other high profile staff who leave and write their memoirs.

Secondly, my opinion is based on various articles which I have read over a number of years.

Thirdly, I would respectfully ask you to refrain from making personal attacks on me ('exposes their ignornace'), simply because my opinion differs from yours. It seems to be becoming a habit. I'm certainly not going to alter my opinion just because it doesn't suit you.

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 06:28:27 PM »
Tiger, could you kindly point me to the specific 'words from Wiki' which I used to condemn him?

Firstly, I didn't condemn Mr Tusa. I simply said that I thought he tended to be rather bitter about his former employers. Similar stories have emerged from other high profile staff who leave and write their memoirs.

Secondly, my opinion is based on various articles which I have read over a number of years.

Thirdly, I would respectfully ask you to refrain from making personal attacks on me ('exposes their ignornace'), simply because my opinion differs from yours. It seems to be becoming a habit. I'm certainly not going to alter my opinion just because it doesn't suit you.

It is not personal Mutt.

Anyone who posted as you have would have had my reply.

If you have something to say about John Tusa, I suggest that you say it and include adequate evidence.

News Mutt

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 07:57:16 PM »
I have said what I have to say. Twice. That is all.

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 08:39:05 PM »
I will say as a general comment.

That anyone wishing to make personal remarks about BBC broadcasters on this forum, and attempt to slur them. Has a duty to present evidence for those remarks.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter