Username:  Password: 
Login with Social Media Follow BBCRadioForum on Twitter

Author Topic:  local radio  (Read 3186 times)

vhawk

• View Profile
local radio
« on: March 04, 2012, 11:57:12 PM »
apart from  idiot  music-pop  music   and  idle chatter   to what does  local  radio/wireless  amount?

answer: a  big  fat  zero.
scrap    it and spend the  money on radio4 and radio4 extra.

local radio  is a  complete waste  of  bandwidth  and  time-  SCRAP IT,   you know  it  makes  sense. it's the radio equivalent   of  nail varnish.

Rita

• View Profile
Re: local radio
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 12:39:22 AM »
Local radio gives pleasure to a great many people.  There are some excellent presenters on the local radio station I listen to, and because they are "local" they have an empathy with their listeners which is second to none.  It is also a lifeline to many people who are unable to leave their home for whatever reason, i.e. illness, disability, age, and a friendly voice which is familiar to them means a great deal, especially for the ones who are lonely and live alone.  How dare you say "scrap it and spend the money on Radio 4 and Radio 4 extra.  We all pay our licence fee and we are entitled to listen to what we want on the radio, and my local radio station is first class.  I have never listened to the stations you mention, but that is my choice.  Give me local radio anytime - it satisfies me and a great many other listeners in my area.

Anthony Ryan

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 10:12:19 AM »
Local radio gives pleasure to a great many people.  There are some excellent presenters on the local radio station I listen to, and because they are "local" they have an empathy with their listeners which is second to none.  It is also a lifeline to many people who are unable to leave their home for whatever reason, i.e. illness, disability, age, and a friendly voice which is familiar to them means a great deal, especially for the ones who are lonely and live alone.  How dare you say "scrap it and spend the money on Radio 4 and Radio 4 extra.  We all pay our licence fee and we are entitled to listen to what we want on the radio, and my local radio station is first class.  I have never listened to the stations you mention, but that is my choice.  Give me local radio anytime - it satisfies me and a great many other listeners in my area.
How right you are Rita, local radio in particular BBC Local Radio does a very good job especially during spells of cold weather when it's a very useful source of information. Independent Local Radio on the other hand has gone downhill in many areas. I like BBC Radio Four and some of the programme on BBC Radio Four Extra are funny. But there is no way that I want BBC Local Radio taken off the air.

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 07:30:10 PM »
apart from  idiot  music-pop  music   and  idle chatter   to what does  local  radio/wireless  amount?

local radio  is a  complete waste  of  bandwidth  and  time-  SCRAP IT,   you know  it  makes  sense. it's the radio equivalent   of  nail varnish.

Well I very much look forward to your explanation of the radio/nail varnish cross-over.

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 08:18:51 PM »

I suspect that you have no reason to engage with your local community.

You possibly have no interest in how your council tax is decided and have no desire whatsoever to engage in democracy and bother to have your say about national and local issues.

That may not be a bad thing?!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter