Username:  Password: 
Login with Social Media Follow BBCRadioForum on Twitter

Author Topic:  New Editor for BBC Radio Merseyside  (Read 19479 times)

News Mutt

• View Profile
New Editor for BBC Radio Merseyside
« on: March 19, 2012, 12:29:45 PM »
http://radiotoday.co.uk/2012/03/sue-owen-to-become-bbc-merseyside-editor/

Sue Owen, current boss of Radio Stoke, is to be the new Managing Editor at Merseyside.

I'd personally say that's a pretty solid appointment. - someone from within the existing BBC Local Radio sector, and already being praised on Twitter by the likes of John Myers.

I realise that Merseyside has been something of a hot topic for some contributors on this forum. I'd hope that this appointment eases some of the concerns which were being riased.

Rita

• View Profile
Re: New Editor for BBC Radio Merseyside
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 05:05:32 PM »
News Mutt, As a listener to Radio Merseyside, I've no idea who Sue Owens is.  The proof of the pudding will be in the eating.  We will have to wait and see.  My concerns were what will happen to the "freelance" presenters on the station and it still is.  As these people are superb at their jobs, I sincerely hope that they will stay with the station.  "A new broom sweeps clean" springs to mind.  I just wonder whether she is being brought in to do just that and get rid of presenters without a second thought - and that is my cynical side I'm afraid.

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 10:55:29 PM »
News Mutt, As a listener to Radio Merseyside, I've no idea who Sue Owens is.  The proof of the pudding will be in the eating.  We will have to wait and see.  My concerns were what will happen to the "freelance" presenters on the station and it still is.  As these people are superb at their jobs, I sincerely hope that they will stay with the station.  "A new broom sweeps clean" springs to mind.  I just wonder whether she is being brought in to do just that and get rid of presenters without a second thought - and that is my cynical side I'm afraid.

Rita from what I know as just a listener I would imagine BBC Stoke will be sad to see her go, but only time will tell.

News Mutt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 11:08:39 AM »
From what I know, Stoke is a highly successful station. It has a healthy 29% reach, the third highest in the English Regions network - so it must be doing something right. I think it's a good appointment.

Rita

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 04:53:02 PM »
News Mutt, Radio Merseyside is the most listened to local radio station outside of London, so it really needs someone on the top of their game.  The proof of the pudding is in the eating as they say - we will have to wait and see what emerges when we know what the exact cut is going to be.  I hope it will prove to be a good and right appointment.

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 07:52:12 PM »
Well said, Rita,

Merseyside is the flagship, and it must be treated with the respect that it deserves.

I would hope that there is effort made by the new managing editor to introduce herself properly, she will certainly need to engage with the listeners. And make very clear that the future of BBC Merseyside is safe and that she will fight for that safety and oppose plans to cut BBC local radio in every way that she can.

calista

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 09:12:53 PM »
god help all you merseyside listeners she won't be missed in stoke x

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 09:32:22 PM »
Dear Calista

Radio Merseyside is THE BBC local station, it is one of the most listened to broadcasts, above national stations.

Can you explain why its listeners should now be worried?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 09:59:29 PM by Tiger »

Rita

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 11:43:40 PM »
Yes Calista, as a Radio Merseyside listener I'd like to know why we should be worried as well!  Let's have some more details please!

calista

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 06:25:53 PM »
as in so many fields of life there are those who have a career path and those who have passion and truly care......i once heard a funny thing about a bbc person...he was so far up thompson's backside he could see byford's shoes....lord help any listeners who might get in they way of promotion.

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2012, 07:16:46 PM »
OK, thankyou Calista, I think we get the picture.

I think that if this new managing editor is coming into Merseyside with an agenda for personal advancement to join the suits brigade and then waste huge amounts of fee payers money on absurdity(Salford, DQF ,etc etc) and not actually be a person with integrity who values the job of managing editor of BBC Radio Merseyside as a huge responsibility, that requires passion and dedication, then she will have a huge battle on her hands.

There are many "wrong" managers who should be viewing their jobs in Local radio as vital, but merely see them as doing time before they are promoted to the pig trough..that is wrong.

This new ME for Merseyside will be scrutinised and must be put under pressure to answer her role.

Rita

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2012, 10:53:40 AM »
Calista,
Would just like to say, Sue Owen has not even started at Radio Merseyside yet, so I would suggest that she needs time to settle in, get to know all the staff there and find out what they do and also about the programmes some of them present - I would imagine that would take 6 months at least.  Until then no one knows what her thoughts about the station will be or what she will or will not do.  She needs time!
I am sure that there may be some people who listen to Radio Stoke who will be glad to see her go and some who will be sorry to see her go - that's all about life and preferences - but, for goodness sake, give her a chance - I, as a Radio Merseyside listener will do just that, and if I don't like what she does, I will tell her, equally if I do like what she does, I will praise her!

calista

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2012, 07:19:42 PM »
So guys how goes it? Don't tell me, we are in the let's not rock the boat, y'all so talented let's take it easy stage...give it a couple of months and watch out for the casualties - by the way there's partying going on in Stoke, they;ve got a new boss with real radio credentials. 

Rita

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2012, 12:00:38 AM »
Calista, Sue Owen only arrived at Radio Merseyside a couple of weeks ago.  I would suggest it's far too early to judge her yet - she will still be finding her way around and finding out what's what. She needs time to settle in, I would say at least six months. We have to give her a fair crack of the whip.  Your negative comments do not help the situation - as I say we will wait and see.
Don't forget, Radio Merseyside is "the flagship" - and also the results of the findings of the BBC Trust to the consultation are only expected this month, and only then we will know what "cuts" to budgets there will be to every local station.  Tough decisions may have to be made. 
Watch this space!

TedDrake

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2012, 12:15:04 PM »
god help all you merseyside listeners she won't be missed in stoke x

Bang on, I know a lot of people who will be glad to see the back of her.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter