Username:  Password: 
Login with Social Media Follow BBCRadioForum on Twitter

Author Topic:  Audience Councils  (Read 2767 times)

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
Audience Councils
« on: January 12, 2011, 04:37:58 PM »
For anyone who?s interested or heard the recent trails being aired about joining the audience council here?s a link to some of their meeting minutes, some do make for interesting reading.  I have my own thoughts but would prefer it if others had a read to see what they think.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/foi/publication_scheme/classes/how_decisions/audience_council_meetings.shtml

If you have heard the trails and having read what they do if you?re interested in joining in I think details can be found at

http://www.bbc.co.uk/england/ace

Flo

• View Profile
Re: Audience Councils
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 09:39:34 PM »
Hi Darcy
Interesting reading!
I have been considering filling out the form for The Audience Council. Do you think that the opinions of members really make any difference!

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 07:57:23 PM »
Hi Darcy
Interesting reading!
I have been considering filling out the form for The Audience Council. Do you think that the opinions of members really make any difference!

Hi Flo, yes they do make for an interesting browse don't they!  I wish I could answer your question but the honest answer is I don't know.  Having read various minutes from different regions my feeling is that, as seems usual, Local Radio is not at the top of their agenda.  I'd be interested to know what you think Flo as the feeling I get is that for the most part members of these councils are being asked to listen to their local stations for certain stipulated reasons, be it to check the travel news is ok or the weather reports, it appears that not many of them are actually listeners.  So much so that in one of them I read that they didn't actually have a member who could listen to BBC Oxford... which to my mind seems completely daft especially when more than a few thousand listeners will switch on each morning, I'd imagine more than 1 would give you their thoughts, you only have to ask through the speakery bits, it is radio after all.

It seems sad to me that with over seven million regular listeners and really the last bastion of true public service broadcasting at grass roots level, that it doesn't have it's own audience council, I think it would benefit from such a thing.

I suspect they may listen but they may also only ask certain questions?

Flo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 08:24:07 AM »
Hi Darcy
I picked up on that too, I was talking to my daughter about it last night and mentioned the BBC Oxford scenario.
Do you know who actually picks the people that apply to join the Audience Council ?

Still considering it , I could certainly have plenty to say about Solent :D :D

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 09:20:10 PM »
Hi Darcy
I picked up on that too, I was talking to my daughter about it last night and mentioned the BBC Oxford scenario.
Do you know who actually picks the people that apply to join the Audience Council ?

Still considering it , I could certainly have plenty to say about Solent :D :D

I have no idea Flo but it's all tied in with the BBC Trust so I expect it's down to them.

The BBC Oxford thing would be quite funny if it wasn't so ridiculous.  The feeling I got reading through the meeting minutes was that these people seem to get worked up by something Anne Robinson said on her quiz show than anything else.  I was rather surprised that many of them were completely unaware of BBC7, I know it's on DAB but even so, they have applied to do the council thing so you would imagine they would at least know it existed?

Flo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 03:35:41 PM »
Well I applied and surprise surprise not heard a thing! :(

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
Re: Audience Councilsk
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 08:18:35 AM »
Well I applied and surprise surprise not heard a thing! :(

Well good for you Flo, at least you tried something.  Have you not heard a single sausage?  Not even a thank you for applying email?  Can you be certain they received your application?

Flo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 10:15:46 PM »
No not a thing  :(

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2011, 10:14:35 PM »
No not a thing  :(

Oh come on Flo, give them a ring and find out why not, they shouldn't just totally ignore you.  That's rude!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter