Username:  Password: 
Login with Social Media Follow BBCRadioForum on Twitter

Author Topic:  DAB Memorandum of Understanding signed  (Read 1113 times)

Rita

• View Profile
DAB Memorandum of Understanding signed
« on: July 03, 2012, 03:23:05 PM »
Would someone like to explain this one?  I quote:-

"Plans to extend local digital radio coverage moved a step closer today as Government, BBC and commercial operators signed joint agremment establishing framework for up to 21 million of new investment in radio infrastructure".
Now isn't that strange?  I wonder how much money the BBC are contributing to this 21 million?  I was of the opinion that they were saving money (they thought) by cutting local radio budgets.  Some money was "put by" for local television stations, which nobody wants, much preferring local radio, and that money could have been used to help the stations, instead of thinking of this harebrained scheme.  The question is, where is the money coming from to fund this new investment? - from the licence fee?  Funny, I thought that because the licence fee wasn't increased, these cuts had to be made?
May I repeat again - WE DO NOT WANT LOCAL TELEVISION STATIONS - WE WANT MORE MONEY PUT INTO LOCAL RADIO, to save some of the excellent programmes they carry.  End of as far as I am concerned.
Another rant over!

mel

• View Profile
Re: DAB Memorandum of Understanding signed
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 06:04:54 PM »
Would someone like to explain this one?  I quote:-

"Plans to extend local digital radio coverage moved a step closer today as Government, BBC and commercial operators signed joint agremment establishing framework for up to 21 million of new investment in radio infrastructure".
Now isn't that strange?  I wonder how much money the BBC are contributing to this 21 million?  I was of the opinion that they were saving money (they thought) by cutting local radio budgets.  Some money was "put by" for local television stations, which nobody wants, much preferring local radio, and that money could have been used to help the stations, instead of thinking of this harebrained scheme.  The question is, where is the money coming from to fund this new investment? - from the licence fee?  Funny, I thought that because the licence fee wasn't increased, these cuts had to be made?
May I repeat again - WE DO NOT WANT LOCAL TELEVISION STATIONS - WE WANT MORE MONEY PUT INTO LOCAL RADIO, to save some of the excellent programmes they carry.  End of as far as I am concerned.
Another rant over!

I know what you mean but I think the BBC feels it needs to contribute because they dont want the "So Called" independent stations to have the monopoly on DAB.
Also, we dont have real local TV only local BBC News. If we run our TV like in the USA where local TV stations are plenty then I could understand but we dont.

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
Re: DAB Memorandum of Understanding signed
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 06:49:51 PM »
I wouldn't like to presume anything but something in the far reaches of my tiny mind tells me the BBC have in the past been quite heavily involved in the roll-out of DAB, although I'd imagine it was another government initiative at the time.  I suspect it may have been a good ruse to auction licences as they do from time to time.

Unfortunately, the DAB signal doesn't seem to have proved as reliable as FM or Medium Wave and can be thwarted it seems by an ill-placed slice of cheese or a butterfly coughing.

As for local TV, Jermey Hunt is very big on it, unlike everyone else in the industry it would seem.  He hasn't quite grasped the concept of economies of scale, the USA is huge and so 'local' TV works, again though there's money in them thar licences.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter