Username:  Password: 
Login with Social Media Follow BBCRadioForum on Twitter

Author Topic: BBC Solent Weekend Changes At BBC Solent  (Read 34966 times)

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
BBC Solent Weekend Changes At BBC Solent
« on: January 14, 2011, 02:53:30 PM »
Well, have just had a rather breath-taking-away message from Mike Powell via Facebook:

Old favourite Richard Cartridge is returning to the weekend line-up on BBC Radio Solent, and a new name - Sasha Twining - is joining the station.

Richard takes over Sunday afternoons 2-5pm from Mike Powell, while Sasha will present Saturday Brunch 8-11am.

Current Sunday afternoon presenter and journalist Mike Powell takes on more responsibility in the Solent news room, presenting the station's daily extended lunchtime news and the afternoon bulletins five days a week.

Sasha's appointment follows regional TV presenter Sally Taylor's decision last year to take a break from her Saturday morning show to enjoy a weekend lie-in. Sasha has been a news presenter on Sky, a correspondent for ITV and a BBC continuity announcer - but started out in radio with a career including stints at LBC, talkSPORT and Magic.

Radio Solent Managing Editor Chris Carnegy told us: "Sasha and Richard are two very welcome additions to our weekend line-up. Sasha was a big success when she hosted some shows for us in 2009 and this is just the right chance to get her back. She combines a wealth of experience with a warm, friendly style that'll be just the right wake-up call for the weekend."

He added: "It's over a year since Richard came back to his 'spiritual home' at Solent and a relaxing Sunday afternoon will be even more of a pleasure with his warmth and humour."

On the departure of Sally Taylor, Chris says: "I want to say a big thank you to Sally for the stylish and entertaining sound she's brought to Saturday mornings and I'm confident we'll hear her back on Solent soon. Last year, Sally felt it was time to reclaim her weekends and we agreed that she'd do so from this Spring, but rest assured she'll still be working hard all week to keep viewers of South Today up to date with the news across the South."

Saturday Brunch starts on Saturday 5 February and the Richard Cartridge Afternoon Show launches later in the month. The Big Dorset Brunch will continue on the 103.8FM frequency for listeners in West Dorset.

I know Mike is a lovely chap and popular presenter and will be missed.  Richard Cartridge is the same, seems a shame there isn?t room for both?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 06:21:56 PM by BBCRadioForum »

Tiger

• View Profile
Re: Weekend Changes At BBC Solent
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 10:13:56 PM »
I am very sad that Mike Powell will no longer broadcast on Sundays. His show was almost perfect for a Sunday afternoon..he never dumbed down ..and his connundrums were proof of the fact that he respected his listeners..and he engaged with the audience ..not out of pretence..he meant it!..I am not sure that can be said about a lot of those who broadcast. I will miss him.

And yes, Darcy you are right Richard Cartridge is also a very good broadcaster..there should be room for them both. I sometimes feel that those management editors do not have thinking caps ..more pointy ones with D written on them and they should certainly be standing in the corner over this !!

Ruby

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 01:47:26 PM »
 :( If it ain't broke.... why fix it?

I think the Powers that Be at Radio Solent are rather short sighted.  Yes, we are happy that Richard Cartridge will be back "home" but why, oh why did they have to put him in the Sunday afternoon slot that Mike Powell has taken care of so well for nearly 10 years.  Is it true that the audience listening figures have been rising for Mike's show? 

Mike is one of the rare presenters who cares for his listeners and when you email him, he always replies.  He is one of life's true gentlemen and he will be sadly missed.  Our Sunday afternoons will never be the same again.  He is a genuine person and the range of guests on his show were extensive and interesting.

We wish Richard Cartridge all the best, but would have been happier if he had been on at any other time of the day or week.  But, hey, that is just my opinion... others may disagree and have a right to disagree.  I hope that the Solent bosses do not regret this decision.

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 05:27:29 PM »
:( If it ain't broke.... why fix it?

I think the Powers that Be at Radio Solent are rather short sighted.  Yes, we are happy that Richard Cartridge will be back "home" but why, oh why did they have to put him in the Sunday afternoon slot that Mike Powell has taken care of so well for nearly 10 years.  Is it true that the audience listening figures have been rising for Mike's show?  

Mike is one of the rare presenters who cares for his listeners and when you email him, he always replies.  He is one of life's true gentlemen and he will be sadly missed.  Our Sunday afternoons will never be the same again.  He is a genuine person and the range of guests on his show were extensive and interesting.

We wish Richard Cartridge all the best, but would have been happier if he had been on at any other time of the day or week.  But, hey, that is just my opinion... others may disagree and have a right to disagree.  I hope that the Solent bosses do not regret this decision.

I agree wholeheartedly with all you say Ruby.  It's been a sad thing that listeners have been denied the on-air talents of Richard for so long but to replace one with the other seems a bit short-sighted.  They are both great presenters with many unique qualities and some that they share which are priceless, namely their warmth and the respect of their listeners, which you know is a mutual thing.

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 05:41:05 PM »
And what of Sally Taylor, I haven't heard her show?

Ruby

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 06:06:56 PM »
And what of Sally Taylor, I haven't heard her show?

Sorry, but Sally on Saturday is not one of my favourite programmes, she is brilliant on South Today news, but just a bit too formal for a Saturday morning for my liking.  There again, that is just my opinion, I expect lots of people are sorry she is going to have a lie in on Saturdays.

Dawn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 10:15:55 PM »
I am still in shock that Mike Powell will no longer be having his wonderful Sunday programme.He is the best presenter on Radio Solent,he cares about his listeners and always replies to emails,which no other presenter does.I have been listening to Mike since the beginning, 9 years ago and have never got fed up of him,he has great guests on each week.I will miss him on a Sunday and think he will be wasted doing the news.

I am not keen on Richard Cartridge so will not be tuning in on a Sunday when he starts.

Glad Sally Taylor is leaving all she done was shout on radio.

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 10:39:10 PM »
It does seem daft that Mike is being moved to "news"(along with so many others at the moment!!)..when he is probably one of BBC Local Radio's best presenters?

Now, if I was in charge it would be the time to be a bit ruthless..if that has to be the case..and I would say that mid mornings on Surrey and Sussex could do with a change?..also there are some on Saturday afternoons who are very poor..The very best presenters should be presenting. And that seems to be not always the case.

Tigger

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 11:07:16 AM »
Whoever decided to oust Mike Powell is extremely misguided. He is the best presenter Radio Solent has. I do not plan the rest of my time around who is on. Only on a Sunday between 2 and 5pm. Mike Powell's unique, calm, kind, humourous and pleasant personality 'shines' from my radio. He invented Mikes Mellow Moments too!! My Sunday afternoons will be much less enjoyable without listening to his dulcet tones. How dare they stop his own show. I don't want to hear the news, even if Mike reads it, it will still be depressing. I am bereft.

Flo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2011, 08:08:22 PM »
As usual The Powers that be a Radio Solent take absolutely NO NOTICE of its listeners.
Its the normal scenario Im sorry to say.

I agree with most thats already been said above.

I like Richard  but why get rid of Sally Taylor and bring is someone new for that slot??

Surely he could have taken that and CC could have left  left Mike where he was.
Really sorry to see Mike go from Sunday afternoons when it was so obviously NOT his choice. :(

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011, 09:36:12 PM »
I think we should do something about it..

Emails to the managing Editor..is a start.

A petition worked for Richard..I will start one for Mike?

I am a surrey and sussex listener..so do not know Solent that well..is there a better slot for Richard rather than Sunday afternoons?

Flo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2011, 09:52:24 PM »
Tiger, I have been told Mike does not want a petition. He does still work there so guess it could be awkward for him  :(

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2011, 10:16:57 PM »
OK..Mike is in a difficult position..however, I am sure he would not mind if his listeners made their views clear to management .get tapping!!

Ruby

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2011, 11:37:14 AM »
As usual The Powers that be a Radio Solent take absolutely NO NOTICE of its listeners.
Its the normal scenario Im sorry to say.

I agree with most thats already been said above.

I like Richard  but why get rid of Sally Taylor and bring is someone new for that slot??

Surely he could have taken that and CC could have left  left Mike where he was.
Really sorry to see Mike go from Sunday afternoons when it was so obviously NOT his choice. :(

I agree with you Flo, Sally on Saturday would have had a vacant spot.... our lovely Richard could have filled that space admirably, then another salary would have been saved!

Or maybe the Alex Dyke overload could have been reduced.... Richard on the Saturday spot from 11 a.m.  Alex could also have had a lie in on a Saturday morning, as he is on the air Monday to Friday.

Ruby

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2011, 02:46:19 PM »
I think we should do something about it..

Emails to the managing Editor..is a start.

A petition worked for Richard..I will start one for Mike?

I am a surrey and sussex listener..so do not know Solent that well..is there a better slot for Richard rather than Sunday afternoons?

Hello Tiger,

I sent an email to Chris Carnegy this morning and have just received a reply.  I wonder if we will all get the same standard response.  It will be interesting to see if we do.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter