Username:  Password: 
Login with Social Media Follow BBCRadioForum on Twitter

Author Topic: BBC London Danny Baker Show Axed As Part Of Delivering Quality First?  (Read 8708 times)

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
BBC London Danny Baker Show Axed As Part Of Delivering Quality First?
« on: November 01, 2012, 01:05:10 PM »
Broadcasting hero to many, Danny Baker, is having his show on BBC London shelved as part of the BBCs on-going Delivering Quality First initiative.

Breaking the news on Twitter this morning, Danny said So. Just been told the BBC London Show the Treehouse is to be shut down after all.  Saves BBC money apparently.

Attached to the tweet was a link to this:

He continued.  Also.  I am being inducted into The Radio Hall Of Fame next week.  Big honour.  BBC salutes by cutting five sixths of my shows.
BBC asked me not to say anything just yet about axing best show on British Radio.  Why?  Because its embarrassing?  Because theyll look bad?

He finished by tweeting a picture of himself with his Sony awards telling the BBC not to worry, he will be ok and will be able to sell them.

Reports in the Guardian suggest the cut is not purely down to financial reasons? 

Gaby Roslin is also leaving the stations Breakfast show, a programme she co-hosts with Paul Ross.  She will leave in December around the same time that Dannys programme will be removed from the airwaves.  In January, as part of Delivering Quality First, a new national evening programme will replace current local and regional programming on local stations from 7-10 pm.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/nov/01/danny-baker-bbc-show-axed
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 07:05:44 PM by darcysarto »

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
Re: Danny Baker Show Axed As Part Of Delivering Quality First
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 01:10:11 PM »
And further to the piece in the Guardian, Danny has just confirmed, he is not 'in discussion' with BBC London about a new weekly show.

mel

• View Profile
Re: Danny Baker Show Axed As Part Of Delivering Quality First
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 05:30:54 PM »
Im totally shocked by this news. Danny is the UKs best presenter and to axe his show is pure madness.

How can they axe the "flagship program" of the weekday schedule, are the BBC bosses in charge of their senses ?.

I honestly believe the BBC just doesn`t care about what the listener wants, they just do what they like and us fools pay for the privilege.

BBC Radio London has only three really good presenters, Robert Elms, JoAnne Good and Danny Baker, Im now worried if Roberts and JoAnnes show is safe.

All I know is that BBC Radio London will loose a lot of listeners by this action.

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
Re: Danny Baker Show Axed As Part Of Delivering Quality First?
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 07:10:44 PM »
It's certainly a strange one Mel.  Danny's opines even made a montage on the PM programme, sadly Danny and 'the BBC' declined to be interviewed.  Although 'the BBC' did give a statement which said the cancelling of his show was not due to cuts.

So it has to be either one of the strangest editorial decisions since the last one, or something else?

As he said at the end of the show 'we don't wanna leave but we've been told to leave, by people we've never met, who don't listen to the show and certainly don't listen to you.'

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 07:18:54 PM »
If anyone missed it and is wondering what happens when you cancel Danny Baker's show, don't tell him and then when he finds out, you give him a 2 hour radio show...

It's on the iPlayer here http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p00zn3z0/Danny_Baker_01_11_2012/
(note the iPlayer blurb which says The radio genius with great guests, calls and music.

or you can download it from here:
http://www.bbcradioforum.co.uk/Danny%20Baker%2001%2011%202012%2001-11-12.mp3

Well worth listening to the whole 2 hours, it's his last show and when you hear it all, there's no doubting that!  Enjoy.

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 12:40:09 PM »
BBC London Managing Editor David Robey appeared on Vanessa Feltzs programme this morning to explain the Danny Baker situation.

His thoughts were that he had for some time felt that Dannys show would fit better on the station as a weekend programme.  He said after Danny had to take 3 months off during the summer - at short notice to fulfil other commitments this added weight to his thoughts that a weekend programme may fit Danny better too.  Apparently discussions about a change had been had between David and Dannys agent.  If I heard him correctly it was yesterday that Danny found out about these plans.

Taking calls from listeners, he suggested nothing was written in stone but made it reasonably clear that if Danny was to come back, his show would be moving to the weekend in future.

So, it was not about saving money, just an editorial decision, unfortunately he didnt expand on his feeling that the show would fit better elsewhere.  Ill stick the audio up later.

mel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 02:59:44 AM »
I also heard David Robey on the Vanessa show. I heard him explain but to be truthful I still dont understand why Mr Robey wanted to cancel Danny Bakers weekday show.

To offer someone like Danny Baker just a weekend show is totally stupid and shows no regard for the station or its listeners, in my opinion Mr Robey has made a very bad decision.

Is it David Robey`s job to make Radio London sound bland and boring. To take the sparkle and fun out of the station. Or is it because Danny`s show was too popular.

Anyone who listened to Danny`s show could hear what a brilliant and unique broadcaster he is. His show to many was the "flag ship" show on Radio London.

Im sure with a talent and a love of radio Danny will be scooped up by another station and take his listeners with him. I know myself would listen no matter where he goes.

I only hope Joanne Good`s show on Radio London is safe. With someone like Mr Robey in charge Im not sure, and to think I help pay his wages, GGGrrrr (as you can tell Im not happy).

Rita

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2012, 09:45:51 AM »
Hello Mel,
I entirely agree with all your sentiments re: the above.  I come from the north-west, so haven't heard Danny Baker's show, but, obviously it is excellent.  If this is the result of "delivering quality first", seems to me it is just a joke.  Why move a show that is so popular to the weekends?  This is an irritation to me about the BBC - they care very little about the listeners, don't listen to what they say and naively think they will go along with it!  In my opinion, some of the best presenters on my local radio station have been relegated to the weekend, unless they get the chance of any "stand in" work in the week, which is not very often.  Sometimes (dare I say it) the shows that take their place are sometimes very inferior.  Very little you can do about it really - just go with the flow!  It is extremely annoying though, especially as we are paying, via the licence fee, for this service, and usually if you are paying for something which you are not satisfied with, the "powers that be" need to sit up and take notice.  The BBC have got away with this kind of antic for much too long and they should be brought to task for some of the crass decisions they make.  It will be interesting to see what happens when the new "All England" show comes into play into the new year! There is another way to show dissatisfaction with what the Beeb are doing, which won't happen of course, and that is, not to switch on to the show that will take Danny Baker's place, but keep supporting Danny in any way you can.

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 01:33:22 PM »
I also heard David Robey on the Vanessa show. I heard him explain but to be truthful I still dont understand why Mr Robey wanted to cancel Danny Bakers weekday show.

To offer someone like Danny Baker just a weekend show is totally stupid and shows no regard for the station or its listeners, in my opinion Mr Robey has made a very bad decision.

Mel the reason you don't understand was simply because David Robey didn't actually explain the thinking behind it.  It's 'editorial', so his to make, it's what he's paid to do.

John Myers has a take on what happened and what should have happened http://myersmedia.co.uk/2012/managers-what-are-they-good-for/

Danny seemed to think it was down to costs, David said otherwise.  One can only think that as Danny's show is not your standard 'newsy' based show that, that is the reason David doesn't think it 'fits'.  Or perhaps now he's to 'young' for local radio?  Whatever it is, David doesn't think he 'fits' anymore.

To my mind, there's no such thing as balance anymore.  If the BBC Trust says to Radio 1, your mean audience age is 1 year over 29, they choose to take Moyles off air.  It's all done through focus groups and statistics, box ticking etc.

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2012, 08:21:54 PM »
Well Danny has taken to Twitter again this afternoon.  This is what he had to say.

Ok.  Hate to dip back in the mire but apparently weasel dim bulbs at BBC London now saying ending our show was just "refreshing the schedule".  So Back to Back (& Current) Radio Speech Personality Of The Year.  Being Inducted into Radio Hall Of Fame next week... Our show sold out Hackney Empire in 16 minutes.  Our show often 1,2,3,4 AND 5 on station's Listen Again.  Was used as reason for keeping ... ALL local radio. Creepily described me as "Genius" on all their greasy publicity. Ablove all, show was as good as I'll ever work.  So...These dreary local radio dim bulbs take all that data and come up: "We've listened to our audience here and what we deduct... is they want much less of that!"  Truly astounding.  Seriously it was about their own impotence at having NOTHING TO DO with the show.  Says everything about the dreary miasma of meetings led BS that suffocate the spirit that I have gone and THESE PEOPLE are still there.  In a nutshell - "Refreshing the schedule, my arse. " And you KNOW IT weasels. You KNOW it.

A little later this
Even better!  Just heard my daily show not being replaced by anything.  Just SWALLOWED up by shows either side of it!

These are just tweets, what's his speech at the Radio Hall Of Fame going to be like?!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 08:27:58 PM by darcysarto »

mel

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2012, 12:24:06 PM »
I think this whole Danny Baker thing goes much further than his show being axed. Its the fact that middle management in the BBC thinking they know best.
They think they know whats good for the listener, the station and in Danny`s case for him personally. The fact is they dont know whats best but think they do.

Since Danny walked away from Radio London on Thursday the afternoon out-put has been boring and dull, replacing Danny with Gary Crowthy.
Gary Crowthy maybe a DJ but he`s not a presenter (there`s a difference) and  BBC Radio London has lost its fun element in daytime broadcasting.

Danny Baker was the crowd puller, the showman, the show you listened to and not just had on as background noise. He made you laugh and also think.

In the interview with David Robey you hear how he does`nt answer properly the questions put to him. Its "Middle Management" at its best.
You can hear the whole interview here . . . . . . .   http://snack.to/az9er889 . It makes interesting listening.

I know myself Im now listening to another station now from 3pm, If I am, how many more are doing the same ?.

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2012, 01:15:30 PM »
Hi Mel, thanks for putting up the David Robey link, I missed the chance to grab it off the iPlayer.

mel

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2012, 09:38:21 AM »

It looks like those gray men in suits at BBC Radio London has seen the light.

Up until now the 3pm - 5pm slot left empty by Danny Baker has been filled by Gary Crowthy, but starting from this Monday the great Jo Good takes over.

JoAnne Good normally hosts the evening show (10pm - 2am) but from Monday Simon Letterman will take over. Simon is also a very good presenter.

Fun "grown up"  radio returns to Radio London weekday afternoons and lets hope it stays.  All JoAnnes regular items will be carried over to be heard in the afternoons.

Thank you David Robey (head of radio london) for making this great decision to the schedule.

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2013, 09:20:44 PM »
Just a bump for this thread to say the audio of Danny's last show is still available at the link below.

Danny Baker - Last BBC London 94.9 Show

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2013, 09:49:00 PM »
I find it unbelivable, listening to David Robey, again, that he never felt it acceptable to discuss a major part of BBC London, output with Danny Baker himself?? we are talking about a managing editor here not some impotent clerk? unbelievable, hiding behing an agent arrangement. Robey, said it was not about the money(he said it) but it was about the money...Why was this rather dull sounding managing editor not fighting for a BBC presence in London? It is no surprise that he has now allowed BBC London to be taken off air during the night, I agree with the caller who said that he has let the Capital down!

And he says that he is being creative?

http://share.snacktools.com/5D6F7DEC5A8/az9er889

If you are in charge of BBC London, you speak to your presenters, and you listen to your listeners and you actually earn your salary by defending BBC LOCAL RADIO, but you do not allow networking now in evening primetime with a generic voice, which you have now done!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter