Username:  Password: 
Login with Social Media Follow BBCRadioForum on Twitter

Author Topic: BBC Manchester Legal Challenge To Save BBC's Only Jewish Radio Programme Fails  (Read 1646 times)

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
BBC Manchester Legal Challenge To Save BBC's Only Jewish Radio Programme Fails
« on: December 10, 2012, 10:00:15 PM »
I highlight this little piece in the Jewish Chronicle as an example of the love people have for radio.  Not sure anyone would be willing to go to court to save Homes Under The Hammer?

http://www.thejc.com/node/93548

A legal attempt to save the BBCs only regular Jewish radio programme has failed and the long-running Manchester show will air for the final time on December 17.

Last Friday, a judge ruled that the decision to axe BBC Radio Manchesters Jewish Hour was not discriminatory.

Community member Gillian Cohn had applied to have the matter scrutinised under judicial review. Her lawyers argued that the decision breached discrimination law, given that local black, Asian and Chinese programming was continuing.

But dismissing the application, Mr Justice Haddon-Cave said that to rule otherwise would open a Pandoras box for every listener or watcher who did not agree with their favourite programme being discontinued.

There was not a scintilla of unfairness in the cancelling of Jewish Hour, though it is undoubtedly a decision which has and does cause those who love this programme a great deal of sadness. Thats something the courts can sympathise with but can do nothing about.

The demise of Jewish Hour after 21 years is part of sweeping changes to local broadcasting. Twenty fans of the programme and senior BBC staff attended the hearing at Manchester Civil Justice Centre. Following the verdict, Ms Cohn said she had brought the case for two reasons. The value of the programme for members of the Jewish community who are housebound, but also for non-Jewish listeners whose only exposure to the Jewish community will now be lost in an age of increasing antisemitism.

Among those in court was Jewish Hour presenter Jeff Lewis. Despite his disappointment at the verdict, he hoped the BBC would yet recognise the value of Jewish Hour to the Jewish and wider community.

In a statement, the BBC stressed that its Manchester station will ensure that issues affecting the Jewish community are featured in mainstream local radio output, including our news and breakfast shows, which have the biggest audiences. We will be working with members of the local Jewish community.

mel

• View Profile
Re: Legal Challenge To Save BBC's Only Jewish Radio Programme Fails
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 11:11:26 AM »

A few years ago Radio London had an hour on Sunday mornings called "You Dont Have To Be Jewish".
 It had a huge listenership not only by jewish people but anyone interested in other people`s culture.
After a long time on air it was taken off. But no reason was given at the time and a lot of people was upset.

As for Radio Manchester`s decision, maybe its because Jewish people have assimilated so well into the community that they feel no need for a separate show.
I personally believe there is room for all cultures and shows on the radio and as we all pay for the BBC we should all have a voice. Especially in local radio.

Rita

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 06:46:11 PM »
But we don't have a voice do we Mel, even though we "pay" for the BBC via the licence fee, whether we listen to it or not?  That is an irrevelance as far as the management are concerned - they are not really interested in what we like or don't like - they make the decisions and that's that.  If there is a particular programme I don't like, detest even, I just don't switch it on anymore - but, why shouId I do that, seeing I contribute to  keeping the Corporation going, as well as everyone else.  The annoying thing is that presenters and programmes "disappear" from the airwaves without any explanation why/what reason?
Of course we should all have a voice in local radio - but we don't do we, and I don't see a way around that.  I agree with everything you've said nevertheless. 

mel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 01:44:58 AM »

But we don't have a voice do we Mel, even though we "pay" for the BBC via the licence fee, whether we listen to it or not?  That is an irrevelance as far as the management are concerned - they are not really interested in what we like or don't like - they make the decisions and that's that.  If there is a particular programme I don't like, detest even, I just don't switch it on anymore - but, why shouId I do that, seeing I contribute to  keeping the Corporation going, as well as everyone else.  The annoying thing is that presenters and programmes "disappear" from the airwaves without any explanation why/what reason?
Of course we should all have a voice in local radio - but we don't do we, and I don't see a way around that.  I agree with everything you've said nevertheless.

Exactly, we dont have a voice but we`re still expected to pay. This I think is wrong.
No other company or organization would get away without thinking of its customers or those who pay for its services.
Only the BBC can ride "rough-shot" over the listeners wishes and to hell with what we really want, and we pay for that privilege.
Its about time they change the way they think. Its also time for them to put someone in charge of BBC radio who knows about radio.
Is it because the British are so complacent that those at the top of the BBC think they can do as they please.

Rita

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 02:50:04 PM »
My thoughts exactly Mel.  Good for you for voicing them!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter