Username:  Password: 
Login with Social Media Follow BBCRadioForum on Twitter

Author Topic:  BBC Has Recovered Trust Lost Over Savile... Say BBC.  (Read 3416 times)

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
BBC Has Recovered Trust Lost Over Savile... Say BBC.
« on: April 06, 2013, 03:09:39 PM »
If this is an accurate reporting of Mary Hockaday's speech then wow that's some going by the BBC. With questions STILL outstanding over Pollard (Boaden and Thompson likely to be called before the DCMS), with strikes by the NUJ and BECTU citing unsavoury work place practices and a second inquiry still yet to report, it seems the ruler for drawing a line is getting a firm work out.

Hopefully Mary will be able to back up her claims with some hard facts, will bring them to you just as soon as she passes them over.

http://www.journalism.co.uk/news/bbc-newsroom-head-bbc-has-recovered-trust-lost-over-savile-scandal/s2/a552588/

The head of the BBC newsroom has said that trust in the BBC is back to where it was before the Jimmy Savile crisis.

Mary Hockaday told today's Polis conference, which is all about trust in journalism, that the BBC has restored trust in the corporation.

She defended the BBC management, denying that "the BBC was drifting".

"The last few months have been difficult but most people in news have got on with doing their jobs," she said.

The Pollard report into the BBC's Savile inquiry was critical of the BBC management structure but Hockaday said the quality of senior staff was "extremely high".

"What went on last autumn was a failure of management ... but overall I see a high quality of management," she said.

Hockaday said the BBC is "not too big", following suggestions that a smaller organisation would be better managed. "I'm not sure that size was much of a contributing factor."

She also used the keynote interview to talk about the advantages of BBC journalists being based together in New Broadcasting House. She refuted suggestions that bringing teams together led to a lack of diversity in reporting.

Touching on the changing nature of journalism, she discussed trust in reporting and newsgathering using social media.

"We've always seen our job as being fast," she said. "And Twitter is just another platform in doing that."

Twitter is just like any other live content in that it must be delivered accurately, Hockaday said. "What is new is speed and volume."

She said the BBC treats social media sources as they have always treated sources of information, and has a team verifying content.

If it is all behind them, I assume John Robb must have had a reply to his open letter, must check with him....

Dear BBC,

Im not writing to you to request stuff like people used to in what we thought were more innocent times in the seventies. I am writing to you because Im a bit concerned by your sudden collapse in the face of the forces of evil!

BBC, you and me go back a long way. I suppose at my age Im the first TV generation who watched kids TV and the news and went to bed when you ended with the national anthem at 11 O clock every night in those long ago days when the media would actually end.

I was a Top Of The Pops kid who loved all the glam rock of the pre punk years and hated the gurning DJs who interrupted the music to push themselves to the front all the time. We often wondered why Jimmy Savile was even on there and had no idea what he had to do with a pop culture that he seemed to have no connection with. If only we knew then what we know now!

Me and the BBC have had some great moments, and also lots of rubbish ones where we switched off but then you were never there solely for me and I never minded sharing you with everyone else. So it saddens me to see all this Savilgate mess and your squirming in the media glare and your own navel gazing- your own personal trial by media! The media love to point out you are lefty but Im not sure what Jeremy Clarkson would have to say about that

But in the last few days Ive been getting a bit confused. It seems like you are having to apologise and face off the slavering right wing newspaper Hell hounds as they demand your blood in the wake of the Newsnight reports on firstly Jimmy Savile that you somehow didnt show and the one that told of people going beyond the pale in the Welsh childrens home. Im not sure if a lot of the pres reporting has been that responsible but there are lots of agendas going on here.

The fact you never mentioned any names in the second story was greeted by howls of derision from the press when it was broadcast from the same people who now want you closed down for causing a certain politican a lot of Internet grief and to threaten law suits for anyone who mentions his name in relation to this case.

Im not an expert on the law and hopefully someone will explain this to me but I thought that if you dont mention the names then you could not be sued but it seems like it was now your fault that the name was all over the internet because of the Newsnight story, maybe because you reported that the victim had said it was a top politicians but the name of the person had already been all over the internet, which isnt right of course, before Newnsight and had even been on David Ickes site years ago.

Im not even sure why you had to apologise because the report itself was pretty vague. It may not have been put together that well but what were you meant to do? Ignore the story? It was quite a big story and those poor people from the home were pretty sure who had messed their lives up although they seem to have suddenly changed their minds. Of course people have the right to sue to protect their names in court and no one is saying who did what here but we now have a situation where no-one can say anything and everyone seems to have forgotten the original case and the poor people who were sexually abused.

It seems odd to me that everyone is quite happy to rant on about Jimmy Savile and even if it looks like he was a thoroughly unpleasant character it has not been proven properly yet.

BBC, Im glad that you are having an enquiry and at least you admit your mistakes but the whole story seems to have over shadowed the whole case. It seems clear that something was going on in that home and those other boys homes. No one knows who by yet and what exactly happened and no one should try and guess on line but does this mean it should all just be ignored? What can be reported any more? Just dodgy dead DJs? Or shall we just watch endless reruns of Blue Peter?

Tiger

• View Profile
Re: BBC Has Recovered Trust Lost Over Savile... Say BBC.
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 11:42:41 PM »
I have just read a consumer report that Dyson has now taken on a new consultant in sweeping dirt under carpets it is to be called the "Hockaday!"

Public testing is not going too well.. as one participant reports" on the surface it seems to clean ,but I have been leftwith a huge mucky mess under the carpet and it is demanding severance pay and secrecy before it can be removed"

Another cleansing product "The Pollard Polisher" has also proved to be ineffective in removing stubborn dirt, it was proven to be a bad product only capable of glossing the T.....

Speaking of Thompson...Lets hope our elected MPs can suggest how stains can be removed from Aunty's carpets.

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 04:27:26 PM »
Gillian Reynolds from the Telegraph trusts Tony Hall but does not trust the Trust.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/bbc/9966960/I-trust-Tony-Hall-but-I-still-dont-trust-the-BBC-Trust.html

The comments on her article are quite interesting. I do not agree with somethings that she says, and she is a pal of Helen Boaden and I wish she had reviewed the Mark Forrest Show, but again she does not want to upset her pals. Shame because she has excellent delivery and honesty.

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 09:19:04 PM »
Gillian Reynolds from the Telegraph trusts Tony Hall but does not trust the Trust.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/bbc/9966960/I-trust-Tony-Hall-but-I-still-dont-trust-the-BBC-Trust.html

The comments on her article are quite interesting. I do not agree with somethings that she says, and she is a pal of Helen Boaden and I wish she had reviewed the Mark Forrest Show, but again she does not want to upset her pals. Shame because she has excellent delivery and honesty.

Hmm an odd piece by Gillian Reynolds, which I'm not sure does anyone any good, which is a shame.  On the last Media Show and in many of her appearances she is able to pintpoint and voice very well the concerns of listeners but she seems to be a bit compromised here.

I find it quite staggering that - apart from Lord Hall apparently taking less than a week in the job to restore trust - that no one seems to be asking the question, how did we get here?  Why was Mark Thompson's legacy this mess of management?  Why have we had to remove the head of the News Direcorate?  Where did it all go wrong and how can it be mended?  The very sad Savile revelations were the catalyst but one can only imagine the failures were going to happen at some point.

Instead the questions are about the digital future http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/media-blog/2013/apr/07/tony-hall-bbc-digital-future although Hewlett did come close on the Media Show when he asked Yentob - albeit half-seriously - whether he was part of the solution or the problem. 

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 07:47:17 PM »

Hopefully Mary will be able to back up her claims with some hard facts, will bring them to you just as soon as she passes them over.

Well, thank goodness Mary replied early this afternoon as some other things seem to have kicked off in the world of News this afternoon.  It seems she was talking about trust in BBC journalists and the figures from these YouGov polls show a recovery from the low of 44% (I'd not seen that it got quite so low?!).  Wonder if they've done another poll on the management?

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 08:43:23 PM »
Here is the actual discussion.

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 09:25:14 PM »
What to say? A pretty hopeless performance.

I hope that the head of the BBC Newsroom expects more from the journalists that she leads, than she personally is able to give or expects from herself.

She seems unable to address or answer any of the questions put about Pollard

How can she, direct a newsroom?

starlitegaize

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2013, 11:54:23 AM »
Huh!! No way. Especially on hearing that Tony Hall will not be able to make derogatory comments during his reign as DG and for 2 years after - constructive criticism never hurt anyone and certainly not an organization as corpulent as The BBC has become

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2013, 09:17:57 PM »
Huh!! No way. Especially on hearing that Tony Hall will not be able to make derogatory comments during his reign as DG and for 2 years after - constructive criticism never hurt anyone and certainly not an organization as corpulent as The BBC has become

Well I think we can be assured after his canning of the DMI project that Hall means business.

I've just come across this discussion from January on the Open Democracy site, I've not yet listened - its 90 mins long - but thought I'd share it as it may be interesting.

Late last year, at the tail end of the Savile-McAlpine crisis, OurKingdom held a discussion on the BBC. Kicked off by panellists Peter Oborne, Jacky Davis, Omar El Khairy and Anthony Barnett, it was an intense public debate at a turning point for the Corporation. Here is the complete audio.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 09:19:02 PM by BBCRadioForum »

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2013, 09:11:40 PM »
I have to say the Open Democracy discussion is a very interesting one.  It takes place shortly after the McAlpine debacle and although organised in the wake of Savile, discussion barely touches these two subjects.

Now we are 5 months on and with Mark Thompson's legacy continuing to unravel, this discussion seems perhaps even more relevant.  It would be interesting to know what Tony Hall or the BBC Rust make of it, these huge supporters and believers in the BBC who are finding themselves asking searching questions about it's future.  An hour and half may seem like a long listen but it's not enough and is it ever a discussion that might be had on the BBC itself?  At it's close the question is reversed.  Does the BBC trust it's public?  It's an interesting question.

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2013, 10:13:23 PM »
I have to say the Open Democracy discussion is a very interesting one. 

And if you are listening on headphones, I think that's Peter Oborne with the squeaky nose breathing thing going on...

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013, 11:14:49 PM »
Now come on Forum! no giggling allowed...

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter