Username:  Password: 
Login with Social Media Follow BBCRadioForum on Twitter

Author Topic:  1970s comedy shows on Radio 2  (Read 2976 times)

Telstar Boy

• View Profile
1970s comedy shows on Radio 2
« on: April 22, 2013, 11:17:03 PM »
Stumbled across one of the old Morecambe And Wise shows on BBC Radio 4 Extra this evening, the ones that they did for Radio 2 in the mid 70s.  While hearing the audience laughing, it reminded me of something that always used to perplex me - around this period, Radio 2 comedy shows had one lady in the audience who used to chuckle particularly loudly.  She seemed to appear on every comedy show that they broadcast around this time.  It was a particularly noticeable open-mouthed chuckle, and sounded like a more middle-aged woman (well, it did to me, being still of school age at the time!).  Can anyone else recall hearing this obviously tickled lady?  I did wonder if she was a "plant" in the audience to help the shows along, but in that case she'd have had to have been an almost permanent fixture in the seating.  It all came back to me after hearing the show tonight, and I'm still wondering about it!

Albert

• View Profile
Re: 1970s comedy shows on Radio 2
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 08:43:13 AM »
My brothers and I used to notice this too! Thanks for the remnder. It became annoying at first but we learnt to just laugh with it and see who was first to spot her.. Children can be very capable of detecting laughter that is perhaps faked to an extent.

Telstar Boy

• View Profile
Re: 1970s comedy shows on Radio 2
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 09:45:21 PM »
Thanks for the confirmation, Albert!  I'm pleased to know that you and your brothers spotted her too.  I agree, it was annoying (at least at first), as this lady use to laugh at almost ANYTHING, which is why I wondered if she was indeed a "plant" in the audience.  It's my understanding that plants are used in certain circumstances to help "enliven" an audience.  It did indeed become a bit of a game to see when her laugh would be heard.

Interesting also that although Radio 2 was aimed at a much older audience at the time, both you, your brothers, and myself were listening at our young ages!  They did have some good comedy on there at the time.  RIP Hello Cheeky and the other great shows :)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter