Username:  Password: 
Login with Social Media Follow BBCRadioForum on Twitter

Author Topic:  Victoria Derbyshire  (Read 3132 times)

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
Victoria Derbyshire
« on: April 25, 2013, 05:22:56 PM »
Have to just say I caught a bit of the interview Victoria did with Jahmene Douglas and his mum this morning.

It was really rather harrowing.  To call something domestic violence perhaps is the wrong thing to call it?  It's mental and physical abuse and it's wrong.

This is the blurb and the podcast link.

Singer Jahmene Douglas and his mother tell Victoria Derbyshire about the years of domestic violence they experienced as a family. In an exclusive report for the programme Jahmene also visits a refuge for women who've experienced domestic abuse. 5 live listeners share their stories too.

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/fivelive/victoriad/victoriad_20130425-1216a.mp3

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
Re: Victoria Derbyshire
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 03:55:01 PM »
Tomorrow (7/10/2013) Victoria presents a documentary, 'The Abusers Tale', in which she interviews men who have been abusive to their partners and what steps they have taken to stop the violence, including attending 'Domestic Violence Perpetrator Courses' and the help given to those that have suffered the abuse.

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 08:50:04 PM »
Yesterday Victoria spoke with a lady who suffered abuse at the hands of a person who was supposed to be caring for her after escaping from an abusive relationship and finding herself in hospital where she was supposed to be recovering.  It was a painful listen - and to watch on Newsnight last night too - but the woman concerned wanted to speak out in the hope that it may help others and so I share it here.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 08:51:48 PM by BBCRadioForum »

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 08:56:27 PM »
Today we had Greg Hollingbery MP who sits on the committee responsible for selecting works of arts of parliamentarians.

Unfortunately I'm having technical issues so I can't bring you some of the calls made to him, but this was his explanation for the spending.

Full show here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03ph7sf
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 08:58:40 PM by BBCRadioForum »

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 10:45:51 PM »
The press had reported on this today, with many of the portraits being printed.

It was a balanced argument, as always, with Victoria , and interestly Tony Benn appeared to sort of support the idea of portrait art of political figures, in the public interest. Who knows whether those images will resonate in future years? I rather think, that now we have such an online resource that their words will be the resonating factor, and those are free?

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 11:40:47 PM »
I rather think, that now we have such an online resource that their words will be the resonating factor, and those are free?

Surely any portrait is likely to be an ego/power stroking exercise, get them to take a selfie and get back to work.  We don't really need a committee being paid to sit around discussing and organising such things, it's a little bit sad.

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 12:13:25 AM »
I agree, and was actually quite startled about the cost of the committee itself..

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2014, 09:42:11 PM »
Well.  Sigh and sniff, Victoria has left the building, this morning's programme was a mix of stuff new and revisited, ending with a surprise call from Julien Worricker and a montage of Victoria's sixteen years on 5Live.  Even Lord Hall turned up apparently afterwards.  These are her last few words on the wireless and capture as much of her wonderful warmth and human spirit as any montage in a few seconds.  Thank you Victoria, you will be missed.

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2014, 10:57:39 PM »
I will miss Victoria very much.

I have to say that she has been an inspiration. She is also very brave and stands alone in taking on BBC management in the way that she did.

A true talent and brilliant broadcaster, a huge loss to 5 Live.

I gather that the controller of 5 Live is not very popular. It was reported in the week that when another talented presenter Sheagh Fogarty held her goodbye party. The boss Jonathan Wall was not there.

Why?

A colleague said " Jonathan is so unpopular here he'd have emptied the room"
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 11:06:32 PM by Tiger »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter