Username:  Password: 
Login with Social Media Follow BBCRadioForum on Twitter

Author Topic:  BBC post Savile Inquiry shows widespread bullying and fear.  (Read 2337 times)

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
Good to note that gagging clauses have now been removed.

And rightly so, after Hall effectively waived his during the DCMS Comms meeting, this had to happen for all those he is leading too.

Wish I could comment on the rest but I've not had chance to read any of it yet.

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
Well I have now read this and it's all very sad.  I feel very much for those who are having to work within areas where this culture seems to be commonplace.

There are many mentions of the 'DQF' effect in all of this, perhaps it now stands for Delivering Quantities of Fear?  Perhaps this is something that Tony Hall, his executive board and Lord Pooh-bah need to address with some urgency, it may be Mark Thompson's legacy but they have been complicit in the undertakings. 

Tiger

• View Profile
 I agree with what you say , Darcy, I have also read the report.

AND, there is no doubt that there has been very real examples of a bullying incompetent management , especially, demonstrated over DQF where staff have been explicity warned against trying to defend the services that they work so hard to deliver, most notably in BBC local radio. We all know what happened to Danny Baker, but despite that there are some brave voices that are prepared to make a difference.

The problem with this report, conducted by its own HR department led by the less than convincing Lucy Adams(Please hear her on Thursday, lack of grasp and squirming come to mind when she appeared on the World at One) is that it asks too many questions about the viability of Lucy Adams and her vast department seemingly unable to recognise the problems reported and no grasp now of what to do??

This is an example of the problem, as described by Rod Liddle.

"The BBC doesn't need respect it needs a few more bullies"

Now I do not agree with that line or his line that "bullying might have sorted out the hilarious fiasco of the Newsnight Savile programme" It was not hilarious.

However, he makes the point that allegations of bullying can now be used to defend those who really have no place at the BBC, because they are not talented and having been given a chance have failed. It is not a bully that has to break that news, it is a manager having to do their job for the sake of the licence fee payer and the BBC.

I have to report that in his article today, time and time again he sights the car crash performance of Fearne Cotton during the Queen's Jubilee. It has always been described as airheaded, inane and insulting to viewers. The presenter herself took to twitter and her management and accused everyone of bullying. It was not her fault, of course, some one put her there and as Liddle says"That's bullying these days;slightly deflating a junior colleague's epic self esteem by pointing out with some force that the idea of cutting to Cotton spouting inanities on the riverbank was a decision that would have been shunned even by Benny from Crossroads. Telling someone off is bullying?"

The BBC needs intelligence, after its report to be able to distingish true bullying that is very damaging to the heart of its journalism and public service and the need to have strong management with integrity that is not afraid to upset a delicate ego here and there.,and get rid of incompetance without fear of false accusation.

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile

The problem with this report, conducted by its own HR department led by the less than convincing Lucy Adams(Please hear her on Thursday, lack of grasp and squirming come to mind when she appeared on the World at One) is that it asks too many questions about the viability of Lucy Adams and her vast department seemingly unable to recognise the problems reported and no grasp now of what to do??

I have to say, what comes out of this, is a strong sense that a lot of staff have no faith in those above them.  This puts me in mind of the Mark Thompson 'no confidence' vote that the NUJ held.

I've now had a listen to Lucy Adams on WATO and what struck me - apart from the fact that there seems to be a real problem with their 'human resources' and as Head of HR, Adams appears to have had little knowledge of this - was this line from the Foreword 'In the wake of the Savile crisis - a period which shook the BBC to its core' which she parrots at the beginning of the interview and then later on when the Hall allegations are put to her.

I'm a bit bemused as to what it actually means?  The foreword is undersigned by the management board, many of whom I would assume have been around for a while and overseen this decline in internal trust and faith?  Is the BBC an entity? which has a core??  Because what I thought happened was that due to a massive failure of management they made like ostriches for over a year and pretended the issue didn't exist.  Pollard came and went without asking the pertinent questions and the likes of Helen Boaden are now putting her signature to this.  Is it truly any wonder that the good people of the BBC have lost their faith?

And then there's this from the foreword; we are in no doubt that there will be some who seek to use selected parts of the report to paint a damning portrait of the BBC for their own reasons

Well, just because you're paranoid..

Are we getting value for money Mr. Patten?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 11:18:34 AM by darcysarto »

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
Re: BBC post Savile Inquiry shows widespread bullying and fear.
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 12:40:50 PM »
Dinah Rose has been speaking at a BECTU organised event.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2013/jun/19/bbc-bullying-dinah-rose-qc

Think it just underlines a lot of what was in her report, it would be interesting to know how this sits in an historical context although I'm just guessing that it is indeed the Thompson Legacy in the main.

The lawyer who conducted the recent review of sexual harassment and bullying at the BBC has said she encountered a "very troubling" undercurrent of fear and lack of trust between staff and management.

Dinah Rose QC, who oversaw the seven-month review prompted by the Jimmy Savile scandal, said she found "other forms of abuse of power" much more problematic and prevalent at the BBC than sexual harassment.

The Respect at Work report, published on 2 May, found 37 complaints of sexual harassment over the past six years, with a very small number ongoing.

"There is huge pressure on costs, redundancies, you have a lot of insecure, stressed people, a high risk of bullying behaviour," Rose said, speaking at Britain's Got Bullies, an event in London on Tuesday organised by broadcasting union Bectu.

"A lot are obvious features of an industry with people on very short-term contracts, four to six months, desperate to get another job, while there are 15 others who want your job at the same time."

Graham Russell, a partner at Change Management, which conducted interviews and fact finding with 930 BBC staff who contributed to the Respect at Work review, said he had noted the same fear.

"People did not like to be seen in a glass office talking to us people were fearful of reporting inappropriate behaviour," he added.

Of those complaining, 352 went to face-to-face sessions, while 375 preferred to write, email or leave a voice message, according to Russell.

Rose and Russell agreed that there were currently relatively few instances of sexual harassment, given the scale of the BBC. Russell said this meant it was no different from other organisations.

He also said there were "many cultures" within different programme-making areas at the BBC and that it was not correct to say that there were "hot spots" such as newsrooms, where deadlines are always looming and behaviour worse. "It is more to do with the range of individuals. It is not inevitable we also heard great stories of leadership," Russell said, though he added that overall there were leadership voids.

Referring to the pandering to stars and top talent, Rose said: "Certain people are powerful because they bring in the ratings."

She added: "I would like the BBC to sit down with the unions and staff, setting down what is appropriate behaviour, what is and isn't inappropriate behaviour. If a presenter is coming in for a series, they know you don't shout at the researcher, you don't throw your weight around."

Rose said she thought sexual harassment was seen 20 years ago as "just the way it was", but was now recognised as wrong. She predicted that tolerance of inappropriate and confrontational behaviour would also decline.

"It's about not treating people as disposable, the way you speak," Rose added. She said some of the BBC emails she had seen were couched in "very confrontational language".

Donna Taberer, BBC head of public partnerships, said the corporation is at the start of a process of change, and top staff will no longer be seen as "untouchable".

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 04:39:32 PM »
This report in today's Mail I've seen described as 'strong' by a respected BBC journalist.  Very disturbing, thankfully, hopefully, Thompson's legacy will be addressed.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2446232/Jobs-sex-rampant-harassment-racism-Damning-new-dossier-shames-BBC-evidence-long-standing-culture-bullying.html

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 11:28:29 PM »
This subject was "over" several months ago. Despite rumours in the press about severe bullying?

I heard Lucy Adams speech, apparently it is all being dealt with.( I am being weary and sarcastic BTW)

That is as far as it goes.

Unless the NUJ, or BBC staff are prepared to challenge and go public? The actual public are losing patience with the loss of public services and frustrated beyond words by the timidity and lack of courage by those who actually work for a public service and should be speaking out, they would get support??

Just be brave not leak stuff to the Mail On Sunday!!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter