Username:  Password: 
Login with Social Media Follow BBCRadioForum on Twitter

Author Topic:  The petition to save BBC Local Radio  (Read 15793 times)

Tiger

• View Profile
The petition to save BBC Local Radio
« on: March 24, 2011, 06:48:39 PM »
Mark Thompson has now officially announced the proposal to damage BBC local radio ..So I think that it is time for a petition.

It is here.

http://www.petitionbuzz.com/petitions/theindependentbbc

There is a space for your comment after you have signed your name..which will give it more value..even if you just say "Save BBC local radio"..it will add something.

The previous petition is still running about networking and will continue to run.

Please do sign and pass it on where you can,

Thankyou,

Tiger.

Ruby

• View Profile
Re: The petition to save BBC Local Radio
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 11:54:08 AM »
Thanks Tiger,

I have signed the petition and am circulating the information too.

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 04:14:58 PM »
Thankyou Ruby,

I am contacting as many local charities , local football clubs, and those with a need for Local radio in the Surrey and Sussex area with the petition.

Anyone in other regions could perhaps do the same.

I have just read some of the comments coming in to the petition and it is very good to see how many people care about their local stations.

Ruby

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 04:24:07 PM »
I have put the link on lots of Facebook places, it is great to see that there are now 20+ signatures, where there were just 3 this morning.

I think I will also send an email to Mr. Carnegy, showing him the link and that we are all fighting too, and to let him know that we are not always complaining about things.  lol

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 04:50:43 PM »
Well done Ruby!(I was a bit worried earlier..with just 3 of us!)

Yes we just need to keep circulating this as much as possible.

Ruby

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 11:21:17 AM »
I did send an email to Mr. Carnegy and got a reply thanking for the support

The link is now posted on lots of Facebook groups relating to the BBC.  The signatures are growing.

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 12:28:00 PM »
That is great Ruby.

I think some tweeting has started..

It is wonderful to see 70 people are now showing their support for their local stations and the comments made are fantastic.

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 05:53:27 PM »
Ruby, you are doing well on facebook linking the petition

I am trying to get my head around Twitter!..but hopefully am getting there..anyone on Twitter please tweet the petition.

I have also been on the BBC message boards but am awaiting moderation for first post.

It appears the message boards are to close at the end of the month..another silly cut when the BBC should be doing all it can to canvas opinion about its programs , which is often to show support?

Gareth Burrell

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2011, 08:36:05 PM »
I have signed the petition.

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 04:05:46 PM »
Thankyou Gareth,

It is a petition about how listeners value BBC local radio..and is the individual comments that will make a strong collective statement.

It is already worth more than 90 letters to the Trust or Mr Thompson, many of which may not be recognised.

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2011, 08:36:36 PM »
Please keep posting comments. And I think it is time to open another thread about what is to be celebrated about BBC local radio

In the mean time from the petition

"Don't underestimate the public value of BBC Local Radio, we're the voice of the British people where and when it matters. Why destroy something which has taken 40 years to craft, polish and deliver. Axe us at your peril, we are the BBC's greatest asset".

"Dear Mr Thomson please do not remove from service what is my conduit for keeping up with news in the North West. I listen to Radio Merseyside via the internet for all the news and sport from my home town whilst living down South. It is an essential part of mine and many other peoples lives and must not be taken away"

These are 2 posts of now over 120 .anyone reading this who has not added their name and support should perhaps do so.

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 07:10:10 PM »
I have put the link on lots of Facebook places, it is great to see that there are now 20+ signatures, where there were just 3 this morning.

I think I will also send an email to Mr. Carnegy, showing him the link and that we are all fighting too, and to let him know that we are not always complaining about things.  lol

Well done Ruby.  I think we just need to hang in there and try to re-post every few days on fast moving walls?  It's not the most fun you can have but it does warm your heart when you realise someone has beaten you to it.  The word is that there will be something more concrete come the 7th April, although this too could just be rumour.  I know many of the stations are keeping their powder dry at the moment but we don't have to and the more support we can drum up the better, after all you wouldn't be keeping your powder that dry if you we so sure you weren't going to have to use it!

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2011, 07:58:41 PM »
Absolutely Darcy,

The danger, here ,is that there are some with their heads up to their necks in sand..and they are tweeting about "its only a rumour etc"..they are also doing that on national forums..what will happen is that the listeners will stop showing their support. And the support on the petition is very valuable. The words self destructive come to mind.

Oh and Ruby is a real gem..she has also beaten me to many of the face book sites!

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2011, 10:55:12 PM »
I am pleased to report that the petition now has over 300 names. And it will be submitted to all the MPs who have signed the EDM ,before the debate on Tuesday.

Ruby

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2011, 10:51:59 AM »
Well done to you both Darcy and Tiger, between us we have spread the word to lots of BBC Facebook groups.  I have also emailed friends in the Radio Lancashire area too, their signatures have been added.

I will do a bit more advertising today too.

We can only try to make a difference, it is up to Mark Thompson now to do his bit.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter