Username:  Password: 
Login with Social Media Follow BBCRadioForum on Twitter

Author Topic:  The petition to save BBC Local Radio  (Read 37047 times)

Tiger

• View Profile
Re: The petition to save BBC Local Radio
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2011, 12:45:22 PM »
That is great Ruby and the results are showing.And it is certainly worth the effort when reading some of the comments.

I  have started contacting local councillors as well. And Women's Insitute groups.

Any local groups will have an interest..I am sure.

Ruby

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2011, 11:07:52 AM »
I have received a letter this morning, from our MP Mr. John Denham, quoting

Thank you for your recent email regarding proposed changes to the output at BBC Radio Solent.

I know local radio plays an essential role to the community in Southampton and that's why I am disappointed by reports that the BBC plans to scale down its local output.

Thousands of local residents, including myself, enjoy listening to local radio as a way to keep up with news and events in the area; any reduction will devastate local communities who rely on the high quality broadcasting provided by this service.

BBC Radio Solent's contribution to local broadcasting is significant and I will be speaking out against the scaling back of local radio services in Southampton.

Thank you for bringing this issue to my attention.

Yours sincerely
John Denham MP

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2011, 11:16:56 AM »
Ruby that is great.

You may be interested to hear James Gray MP talking during the debate this morning about BBC Radio Solent. He is about halfway through the broadcast. posted on other thread.

Oh it is encouraging to see the petition is almost at 500 names. People do care about BBC local radio even if some of the top brass in the corporation do not!!

Ruby

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2011, 12:37:38 PM »
Brilliant to see that the names on the petition are increasing.  Will this petition remain open for a set time, or will it be closing?  Hope it is active for ages yet to give us chance of more names and publicity.

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2011, 01:12:43 PM »
Dear Ruby,

The petition will stay up and running until we can all be reassured that BBC local radio is safe in the hands of Mark Thompson and BBC management..so could be for some time!

In the meantime I think it is a good moment to make The Trust aware of the petition, following the EDM debate today and their proposed consultation. I will do that and post what I say on forum  so if you have any ideas let me know..or indeed anyone else, it is our petition as listeners.

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2011, 04:47:34 PM »
I have contacted Chris Patten (Trust) with the petition so far. This is what I have said..

Dear Lord Patten,

BBC LOCAL RADIO

Please be aware as you take the chair of The BBC Trust that there are many
concerned licence fee payers who are very concerned about BBC local radio.
That service is a public service.

I would be grateful if you could consider our concerns in detail. You will
find them here..

http://www.petitionbuzz.com/petitions/theindependentbbc

They come from across the country, but are united in support of BBC local
radio.

Thankyou for your time in reading all of the comments on the petition..which
will continue running, of course.

The BBC Independent Local Radio Forum

http://www.bbclocalradioforum.co.uk/index.php

Ruby

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2011, 04:59:57 PM »
Tiger,

A very big WELL DONE for your hard work and that great letter to Lord Patten.  Let us hope that he has some influence and can put his points to Mark Thompson and the BBC Trust.

Glad the petition is staying open for some time to come, as it will give us more chance to publicise.

Thank you so much.

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2011, 05:29:04 PM »
Thankyou, Ruby,

Well done to all of us really!..

I will copy letter to The Trust to other parties.. OFCOM, etc and no reason why Mark Thompson should not see it.

But I have to say that the battle is only just beginning..There are many who want to see the end of BBC local radio, and they have power.

In the meantime, I think we need a cup of tea!

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2011, 01:34:51 PM »
The petition is now approaching 1,000 names and brilliant comments.(It has been very good to see the leader of SCC has just signed)

I think it is now time to send it to the Delivering Quality First Team. One of the main reasons is to put pressure on them to make a clear statement about networking with 5 Live. (and not some half hearted private briefing..that is not good enough)

Of course the petition is about much more that one idea to network with 5 Live it is about protecting local radio. And of course regionalisation of the service and further networking is still on the table and is happening in 2 areas of the country.

So if anyone has any specific points that they want to include in our covering letter to the DQF team, please post them here. I will put up a draft later today.

Thankyou so much to anyone reading this who has signed and made comments..they are fantastic.

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2011, 07:50:00 PM »
I have had this response from the Trust to the petition.

14 April 2011

"Our ref: 698988

Dear  

Thank you for your email of 5 April to Lord Patten. Lord Patten takes up the role of Chairman of the BBC Trust in May. In the meantime, I am replying to you on behalf of the Trust; I work in the Trust Unit which provides advice and support to the Trustees.

I note your concerns about what you?ve heard with regard to changes to BBC radio, and the content of www.petitionbuzz.com/petitions/theindependentbbc.

I should like to explain that in January, the Director-General of the BBC launched a wide-ranging consultation with BBC staff on how the Corporation can best deliver the highest quality programmes and services to audiences in the light of the new licence fee settlement.

This BBC-wide debate, called Delivering Quality First, gives staff the opportunity to input ideas about shaping the organisation?s future. At this stage, some of these ideas are being reported in the press but no decisions have been made.

The BBC Executive will present its formal recommendations to the BBC Trust in the summer. Any proposals that will impact on the audience will be subject to public consultation by the Trust.

I will forward your comments to BBC Audience Services for noting; the Audience Services log is available to BBC programme makers and managers.

Thank you again for bringing your views to our attention.

Yours sincerely

Judy Lustigman
BBC Trust Unit "

Now, it is not negative but it is treating us like idiots!..again I have to question why The Trust exists?

Good thing, we now have a recorded comment that it has been passed to the Audience councils officially by the Trust. And I really hope that they will not ignore the comments of over 1,000 people who have signed the petition.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 07:51:46 PM by Tiger »

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2011, 10:38:00 PM »
It is fantastic to see the petition is still gathering pace. The comments are brilliant! It will be very difficult for the BBC management,and executive and The Trust to ignore what is being said. It is a public record of how this public service is valued.

andrew.mills40

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2011, 08:10:14 AM »
I will be signing the petition to save local radio this is a false economy. I am a bbc london listener and as a london black cab driver i have to say robert elms and danny baker help us to stay sane in the afternoon .BBC london should ditch its tv content andrevert to being aradio station which asamedium isenjoying increasing audiences.

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2011, 06:26:00 PM »
I will be signing the petition to save local radio this is a false economy. I am a bbc london listener and as a london black cab driver i have to say robert elms and danny baker help us to stay sane in the afternoon .BBC london should ditch its tv content andrevert to being aradio station which asamedium isenjoying increasing audiences.

Dear Andrew,

The petition will be up and working by the end of today. Robert Elms and Danny Baker are the voice of local radio in London..and it does not mean that London is not local..it is and must be saved.

Please join the major protest planned outside broadcasing house. You London cab drivers do things so ,so well(ie the tribute to George) You will be awesome!! protest  (details to be published )but I believe in approx 2 weeks.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 06:27:43 PM by Tiger »

delta79

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2011, 09:08:52 PM »
I emailed Mark Thompson, only to have a reply from the BBC complains dept.
The views in this posting are mine.

andybodders

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2011, 08:40:26 AM »
I see two interfaces to this petition.

One is at: http://savebbclocalradio.co.uk/. This shows 59 signatures.

The other is at: http://www.petitionbuzz.com/petitions/theindependentbbc. This shows 2,174 signatures.

Can you clarify what the relationship is? It would be easiest to access the petition directly through http://savebbclocalradio.co.uk/.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter