Username:  Password: 
Login with Social Media Follow BBCRadioForum on Twitter

Author Topic:  The petition to save BBC Local Radio  (Read 33517 times)

Tiger

• View Profile
Re: The petition to save BBC Local Radio
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2011, 11:38:00 AM »
I see two interfaces to this petition.

One is at: http://savebbclocalradio.co.uk/. This shows 59 signatures.

The other is at: http://www.petitionbuzz.com/petitions/theindependentbbc. This shows 2,174 signatures.

Can you clarify what the relationship is? It would be easiest to access the petition directly through http://savebbclocalradio.co.uk/.

The first petition was raised to respond to the networking trials in December. It has lapsed and I wll close it to avoid any confusion . 

Tony Maund

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2011, 09:46:01 AM »
Hi Darcy. Some time ago when it was first mooted that BBc radio 5 live was going to take over BBC local radio daytime broadcasts I campaigned heavily against it and made a number of recommendations both to my local MP as an alternative. I have continued to post extensively and campaign on air on BBC local radio against any cuts to this most vital of all BBC radio services. I have stated this elsewhere but there are I believe a number of logical and more obvious alternatives which include the abolition of radio 5 live and the cessation of BBC radio1. This is based I admit on RAJAR statistics which demonstrate that BBC local radio carries a greater listening audience that these two particular national counterparts.

If we are to retain the licence fee then we must have good value for it and we must also retain local radio. Here's an extract from my email to my local MP who's response was in full agreement with my sentiments. This support continues to this day:

Whilst there may be an issue surrounding the quality of broadcasting on some BBC local Radio stations it must not detract from the principal that BBC Local Radio is integral to the community as a whole and should be left intact. Removing local programming during the day completely destroys any continuity and relationship local people might have to an outlet for their expressions and feelings about both local and national issues. Trying to represent these through a national network gives a huge element of dilution and virtually cuts off grass roots feedback from the community at local level. Currently BBC Local Radio empowers people within a certain radius to play a key role in giving feedback to topical events from a local perspective and just as importantly shaping and contributing regional developments and policies. It also allows local politicians and organisations such as Medway Council and the KCC to communicate directly with their constituents. No other facility like this currently exists

I have been on air ( on Julia George's program) expressing these sentiments and I would ask if you are not already doing so, and without prejudice, to support the view that cancelling local daytime broadcasting, replacing it with Radio 5 live would represent a serious backward step in communication with listeners and the electorate in getting feedback on both regional reaction to local and national issues

Many thanks for taking the time to read this. I hope you will feel sufficiently motivated to present an alternative to such drastic proposals and see your way to accepting that in principal the current idea on the table is unworkable

savelocalradio

• Blogging to Save BBC Local Radio from #DQF cuts
    • View Profile
    • Save BBC Local Radio
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2011, 12:33:58 PM »
There is an alternative government e-petition

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/18484

Urgent views needed on whether we have two petitions or go for one or the other.

My view is that wording of the (newly discovered) e-petition is far from satisfactory. No one votes for more taxes! It has a full 17 signatures. But it gains by having a formal home in the government bailiwick.

A petition somewhere off from government is never going to be noticed unless you deliver it to Downing Street. For example:

http://calmyourbeans.com/2011/10/17/planning-for-people-petition-is-delivered-to-downing-street/

My view is that we could write a shorter version of the current petition and post it on the government website. We will need to regain signatures, but the current petition only stands at 2,500 signatures. We need 100,000 to make a difference and less than 25,000 means that in press terms its not worth a mention.

Over to everyone else for their views. We need to decide one way or the other fairly quickly.

Cheers
Mike

Mike Thomson

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2011, 03:19:06 PM »
I am not sure that you realise the huge amount of hard work that goes into circulating a petition. A lot of the listeners are senior and getting to the right facebook pages and local group websites is time consuming and frustrating. I do not want to change the text length every word is important and it is the value of the comments that will be vital not just the names.

It is worth many letters to the Trust, the comments are fab.

There is no reason not to sign the e petition the more the better.

But please what is needed is help with circulation..I probablly have made almost 100 postings in the last few days.

If you and anyone else could concentrate on your local areas and post on local interested sites and facebook pages it will make all the difference. ie WI groups, local football teams, charities, and facebook pages of presenters , BBC Introducing etc also local bands.

I will post the type of post I am using but customise it as you wish..and get started!

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2011, 03:20:45 PM »
Generic post for use on Facebook etc.

On Thursday 6 October 2011 Mark Thompson unveiled a number of proposals to
cut spending at the corporation to respond to freezing of the licence
fee.One of these proposals is to reduce programming on BBC Local radio to
peak time  broadcasts. During the afternoon the stations will amalgamate
with other stations. Between 7pm and 10pm there will be national programming
shared by every station.

This is devastating news for anyone who values their BBC Local radio station
for what it is and what it should be.If these proposals are implemented BBC
local radio will be damaged beyond repair and once diluted and destroyed it
will be almost impossible to reclaim. BBC local radio has always been at the
bottom of the foodchain and is almost underfunded.It does not deserve to
become a victim of this attempt to economise.

Please sign this petition and circulate
http://www.petitionbuzz.com/petitions/theindependentbbc

Please join us here
BBC Radio Forum - Index
www.bbclocalradioforum.co

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2011, 03:36:46 PM »
Oh and our petition is not to the Government it is to The Trust and the DG. And it has already been submitted as an ongoing dialogue several times to interested parties since March and has had considerable recognition for the value of the comments.

And it is not just about petitions it is getting the awareness out there.

For example letters to the local press emails to The Trust..being really boring with your friends etc urging them to take part in the Trust consultation. Showing support to your local station.

You just need to see the effort made by some on this forum when they have published here some of their letters and submissions.

And there are loads of other things too..it is a matter of actually doing them.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 05:13:34 PM by Tiger »

savelocalradio

• View Profile
    • Save BBC Local Radio
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2011, 06:07:19 PM »
Thanks for all this Tiger

Certainly, I don't underestimate the efforts in getting a petition going. Just asking awkward questions that need to be asked early on.

Your generic post is really rather long. I would have thought a couple of sentences would be enough, but then I am a Twitter man (the old person's facebook, as a teenage friend described it).

But good luck. I'll certainly tweet this petition often, but I am not up to a critical level of following on Twitter yet.

You say a lot of listeners are senior. Do you have any data for this? I am trying to get a grip on age/gender of listeners across the BBC.

Thanks
Mike

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2011, 06:35:32 PM »
Mike,

The petition has been running for several months since the networking trials started in December and gained momentum after the 5 Live syndication was leaked in March(it played its part in getting that off the table) I relaunched the pet last Tuesday evening and it has gained almost 700 names and comments since then. That is down to dedicated circulation.

The importance with a petition like this is in the comments..and not the number of names.

As a novice I posted very short posts..but if you are not aware of what is happening to BBCLR you need to be told in an emotive way..I have been creative with the posting and have posted single links to the pet above. You will need to be involved to understand that.

Less is always more but in the right way.

But it is your petition as well ..so do what you think, it is a shared process..I will do it the way I think is best for the posts I am making.

I am very surprised about your comment about senior listeners. A lot of the audience that is loyal and solus(in many cases is in an older demographic) perhaps take time to read info on the forum. And many of those listeners are not on social networks but are reachable through websites etc.

If you have a handle on Twitter then use it to those groups. No one is the boss here it is about individual and collective voices. If you wish to start your own petition or support another then go ahead..the more the better.

It is about being proactive. For yourself as a listener.

Hope that makes sense,

Regards and good luck(let us know what you are doing)

Tiger.

savelocalradio

• View Profile
    • Save BBC Local Radio
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2011, 07:44:22 PM »
Sorry Tiger

Not intending to be argumentative. Just feeling the best way forward.

My point about seniors is straightforward. What the exact percentage of listeners in each age group for local radio?
Mike Thompson and his colleagues have played fast and footloose on the data so far. But I do hard numbers. My Freedom of Information requests to the BBC are set to be rejected, so I am hunting for real data.

Feedback on Radio 4 this week is majoring on local radio cuts. It will be an opportunity to drive up support and I will doing so around the broadcasts on Friday and Sunday.

Cheers
Mike

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2011, 07:45:13 PM »
Mike, I've seen those figures somewhere, you may find a link or another thread on here related to it but at the moment I can put my wee brain on it.  You may find this link interesting though, there's some interesting stuff in the FOI Audience council minutes, you just have to dig around, relevent bits in this one are with regard to the Local Radio Task Force.

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/foi/classes/how_decisions/ace_2010_apr.pdf

If my memory springs back into life I'll let you know.  I did enjoy your blog with regards the RAJARS, I meant to comment on it but have just been too busy.  Incidentally, did you get my email?

Tiger and I and Ruby have been hawking this petition around for a while before the DQF announcement, we got some good responses from Twitter, you don't need followers to be able to look at say the BBC Introducing Twitter accounts, find their list of followers and just send a message to each of them, using the 'mention' function.  It isn't the greatest job in the world I'll grant you but it's one of Twitters positives.  If you do go down that route mind, just send about 10 a day as the Twit Police get the hump if you send too many duplicate links out.

Ruby

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2011, 03:17:54 PM »
Mike, if you have any ideas how we can further reach out to everyone, whether seniors, or not, please let us know.

Lots of seniors are on Facebook, not sure about Twitter though, but whatever we can do to publicise, is a good way.  Those who Tweet, get tweeting.  I've just posted the link on Facebook again. 

I only hope it does not fall on deaf ears.

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2011, 06:15:44 PM »
Hello,

Well I was on Feedback today..apologies for my voice I have a v bad cold. But hope that the message got out. And Feedback have apologised for getting forum name wrong.

Shaming that David Holdsworth did not appear.

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2011, 07:01:49 PM »
Mike, if you have any ideas how we can further reach out to everyone, whether seniors, or not, please let us know.

Lots of seniors are on Facebook, not sure about Twitter though, but whatever we can do to publicise, is a good way.  Those who Tweet, get tweeting.  I've just posted the link on Facebook again. 

I only hope it does not fall on deaf ears.

Hello Ruby.  I can give you an idea of what I've done in the past and just recently.  Whenever someone appears on the station I've tried to make a note of them and then drop them an email or a tweet.  Of course some are very encouraging, usually those you wouldn't expect, authors and the like.  Had a nice response from the journalist Heather Brooke (she who broke the MPs expenses story) and she signed the petition.  And on the other side you have people like those at the Guildford Book Festival who got no end of publicity on the station last week, I emailed 4 of them on their website and I haven't heard a thing back from them.  Similarly the Voice of the Viewers and Listeners, no response to several emails.  It seems some people are willing to be a talking head but when it comes to hard graft, the just haven't got the stomach for it.

The Media Trust is another one, if they're not interested fine but just ignoring written requests is rude.  I've just tweeted them again so perhaps they'll take notice of that.

As you know Ruby it's a thankless task but just looking for local groups etc and taking a punt is how it has to be, local listeners are just such a disparate bunch.

Rita

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2011, 10:16:41 AM »
Hello Everyone,
I am a listener from Radio Merseyside and am appalled at what the BBC intends to do with local radio, due to cuts in budget. To my mind there are other areas where money could be saved, if they could think about it.
Up to date I have had a letter printed in the "Liverpool Echo" - I believe it was also published in the "Liverpool Daily Post"; I have had a letter printed in two of my local papers, "The Reporter" and the "St. Helens Star"; I also wrote to the "Metro" - I am unsure about what happened to that one - it is a free paper given out on the local buses - but I don't usually tend to travel on those particular buses every day, so can't find out whether they have published; I have also written to my local MP - the letter has been acknowledged and I am waiting for him to get back to me.  I am sure he will be waiting for responses from the people he will have contacted to find out more about the situation before commenting - he is very thorough like that.  A couple of weeks ago I managed to get on to the lunchtime 'phone-in on Radio Merseyside to give my opinion about the situation, and I have signed a couple of petitions.  Lastly I have sent my views in to the BBC Trust with regard to their consultations - I hope they take note of what listeners are saying - that is why it is imperative that as many people as possible get behind the campaign.
I am still trying to think of more ways I could help.  I do not want my local station to broadcast regional programmes, with presenters I am unfamiliar with - I much prefer the presenters we have got now.  They have been loyal servants to the station over the years and put much into their programmes.
With one stroke, the BBC have ruined my enjoyment of the station's programmes - and some of my favourites could be taken "off air" after Christmas.  This should not be allowed to happen.  We are all paying via the licence fee to fund the BBC and we are entitled, as "shareholders" to enjoy what we want - not what they think we want!
KEEP LOCAL RADIO WHAT IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE LOCAL - this is especially for the people who regard the stations as a "lifeline" if they can't get out of their houses for whatever reason and rely on the local station to give them local news etc!

savelocalradio

• View Profile
    • Save BBC Local Radio
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2011, 01:02:44 PM »
Thanks for the link D'Arcy. It very useful.

I am also trying to get something more detailed from within the BBC.

Mike

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter