Username:  Password: 
Login with Social Media Follow BBCRadioForum on Twitter

Author Topic:  The Reunion: Hutton  (Read 11220 times)

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
The Reunion: Hutton
« on: May 03, 2013, 09:03:48 PM »
This should be an interesting listen on Sunday, if perhaps a difficult one.  If it's true that Alistair Campbell declined to appear then I hope it's the last time I have to stomach him popping up as a talking head on 5Live or BBC1.

It seems odd to have a 'reunion' when the story is not yet told but perhaps it's a good thing that it will serve to remind people that David Kelly was the first innocent victim, of many, on the whim and lies of a few in government.

http://www.radiotimes.com/episode/whgfs/the-reunion--episode-5-hutton-inquiry

Unlike previous editions of Sue McGregors avuncular get-togethers, this reunion of leading figures in the fallout from the 2003 Hutton Inquiry reeks of rancour and personal enmity. When former Defence Secretary Geoff Hoon says to ex-Today reporter Andrew Gilligan I never called you an evil liar. Just a liar, you know the wounds still fester.

Much-missed director-general Greg Dyke is as combative as ever in his defence of the BBC, while McGregor is more referee than presenter. One can only imagine how much more volatile it would have been if Alastair Campbell had accepted his invitation to appear.

ABOUT THIS PROGRAMME
Sue MacGregor's guests recall the BBC's quarrel with the government over the use of intelligence in the lead up to the war with Iraq, which led to the Hutton Inquiry, whose findings were published in 2004. Sue reunites Andrew Gilligan, the Today programme reporter whose broadcast ignited the argument, former defence secretary Geoff Hoon, who was accused of naming MoD scientist David Kelly as the source of the story, Tom Kelly - Tony Blair's spokesman at the time, and Greg Dyke, who resigned as director-general in the inquiry's aftermath. Last in the series.

Tiger

• View Profile
Re: The Reunion: Hutton
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 11:28:26 PM »
I hope that no one forgets that David Kelly took his life, and that those who could and should have protected him failed. They failed to protect him from the wrath of Alaistair Campbell and the bullying nature of Blair's mission to invade Iraq, against all the odds. The price of truth is indeed high. And the attempt to bring that truth to the public by Gilligan's report was right. Everything after that was very wrong. It still is deeply upsetting . AND I hope that some of the main players have trouble sleeping.

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 05:08:25 PM »
Well this certainly woke up a Sunday morning on a bank holiday weekend.

It is certainly true that the wounds are still very raw. As a member of the public, then and now I am angry still . Alaistair Campbell was not there to defend his position. The BBC really do need to think twice about using him as a v willing talking head on almost anything, but when the crunch comes to something that is absolutely about him, "he would prefer not to attend" (Andrew Neil and" This week "take note)

This broadcast was about truth..

The machanical Tom Kelly was there for the Cambell/ Blair machine, he was wheeled out of the tardis and accused Andrew Gilligan of lying about the dossier, of lying about his information, lying about accusing Campbell and Blair about lying, it was all lies..

Geoff Hoon was there to back up the lying claims, but also to excuse himself as LEADER of the MOD of most responsibility..it was after all firmly in the hands of the Number 10 spin Doctor. His absurd claim halfway through the broadcast that Sadam's chemical weapon's could be interpreted as a 45 minute crisis, was laughable and pathetic(I am sure Robin Cook was turning in his grave)

Andrew Gilligan with a quiet voice admitted that he had exaggerated his source in his first 2 way on the now historic Today broadcast but that it had been corrected . He pointed out that many others had also received info from David Kelly and others even further up the chain and there was a worldwide debate about actually the facts..that errr no WMD had been found. His pain speaking about David Kelly was clear in his voice, and also his determination.

Greg Dyke was emotive and angry and still bewildered about Hutton(along with the majority of the public!) Dyke was interviewed in The Sunday Times today so I will just quote...

"There is no doubt that history is on our side. I mean what were the basic allegations? The basic allegations were that they sexed up the dossier-I don't think that there is any doubt about that"

And even the journalist interviewing him accepts that David Kelly was" outed vindictively by the No 10 machine" and Tom Kelly, himself has to live with calling David Kelly a Walter Mitty character at the very point that David Kelly was put under huge stress for trying to telll the truth.

I will just end with another of the things that Greg Dyke said.

"If my son had gone to Iraq and been killed on the basis of the evidence that Tony Blair presented, I'd have real anger. I hold nothing but distain for Tony Blair"

If this post is biased, I make no apology, after all if the main players do not have the courage to take part then that is the result. Kevin Marsh also not there? wonder if he was asked?

« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 10:46:10 PM by Tiger »

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 06:54:11 PM »
An excellent summary Tiger, this was definitely a 45 minutes worth mentioning and yet, there was not a trace of Alastair Campbell to be found.

Hoon & Kelly appear stuck in a moment they can't get out of, perhaps denial is preferable to them?  One day perhaps they will be able to face up to the thought that the biggest WMD in all of this was the September dossier itself.

Respect to the passion and honesty of Dyke and Gilligan.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 06:57:14 PM by BBCRadioForum »

Albert

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 09:56:19 PM »
I have seen many words to describe this The Reunion, such as "electrifying", "compulsive" etc. It was certainly those and many more. I stopped what I was doing to listen, not wanting to miss a single word or nuance. (Interesting to follow Twitter comments too.)

Regarding Alistair Campbell, I could not get the vision of his rather crocodile tears when giving that interview with Andrew Marr:

(click on 4:12 in the Youtube description to go to the image).

It left me realising that I needed to learn more about this matter, as obviously there is a lot more to it than any of us will ever know.

An excellent piece of broadcasting.  A real gem that ticked all the 'inform, educate, entertain' boxes
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 10:26:05 PM by Albert »

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 10:35:11 PM »
Thankyou, Albert for putting this up. It probably shows, beyond a doubt ,why Campbell did not have the courage to appear on the reunion.

You say we will never know the truth?

I think we know the truth, the very important question is what will we do with that truth?

Chilcott is still to report, apparently one of the Chilcott team a pro Blairite has been off sick for a while and that is causing delay? I have no idea why when a huge amount of public money has been given to Chilcott that he feels it acceptable to delay his report, there is only so much patience here, it is the case that those critised by Chilcott have a legal right of reply etc, but we need an update! Campbell in his interviw with Marr is clearly desperate for the long grass solution, but he needs to know that the public will not allow that, not ever.

Albert

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 07:20:25 AM »
Actually: "there is a lot more to it than any of us will ever know."

I think the truth is clear. This whole matter needs to be properly aired, investigated and documented. We need to know for sure who the deceiver is/are. The Chilcott Report must do that.

This episode of the usually quite charming and affable The Reunion  (for example I loved the one about the Ladies-in-Waiting at the Coronation, splendid stuff indeed) has played a huge part in bringing the matter back into the wider public's attention.

There were some thought provoking comments on Twitter such as "of all the times to leave the microphones on for two minutes after the interview - this was it" and "there should have been a web cam in the studio" (as is beginning to be the trend for such BBC Radio 4 programmes). But of course we are Radio listeners here and the interview served its purpose very well as it was. Well done Sue MacGregor.

There were most 'Tweets' asking - some directly to his Twitter account  Alastair Campbell@campbellclaret - why Alistair Campbell declined the invitation to attend.

I note from his Twitter page that his answer being: Re why not on R4Reunion-I saw little benefit to anyone, apart from BBC publicity department, in going over it all again in cosy radio chat

« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 07:43:29 AM by Albert »

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 11:02:12 PM »
Dear Albert,

Your post articulates this situation so well.

That is was up to a non aggressive program on Radio 4 to actually do much more than Chilcott and many politically charged programs and actually deliver a live debate. The conclusion is in the listening.

The cowardice of Campbell is depressing.

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 07:11:50 PM »

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 06:54:01 PM »
Campbell appeared on Richard Bacon's show this afternoon and also on the PM show. This is just days after he refused to appear on the Reunion to defend his actions regarding the fall out from Gilligan's report on the Today program and David Kelly's death.

This is an email I sent to 5 Live.

"Dear Richard and his production team,

I will start by just complementing the show, it is an intelligent and
entertaining mix of commentary and interview and perfect for the pre school
run journey . Richard is a delight, never judgmental or presenting the show
about the presenter, his honesty about things that he may be unaware of is
refreshing . His program has grown on me over the last few years and has
gone from a default to a serious choice of listening and as a Radio 4 user
and listener to the Afternoon drama, and also a supporter of BBC local radio
that is saying something, because I value the other stations highly.

Anyway, I have to comment that it is depressing to hear Alaistair Campbell
used as a talking head on the show. This has been very difficult to accept
this week. Radio 4 the Reunion ran on Sunday a program about the
circumstances leading up to the Hutton report. It was to include the main
players.  Campbell did not take part , he said that he would"prefer not too"
and his twitter account stated " Re why not on R4Reunion-I saw little
benefit to anyone, apart from BBC publicity department, in going over it all
again in cosy radio chat"

That comment has provoked anger,  I am an administrator of an online
listener feedback message board The BBC Radio Forum. I will quote this
sentiment.

"It is certainly true that the wounds are still very raw. As a member of the
public, then and now I am angry still . Alaistair Campbell was not there to
defend his position. The BBC really do need to think twice about using him
as a v willing talking head on almost anything, but when the crunch comes to
something that is absolutely about him, "he would prefer not to attend"

Please read the discussion here.
http://www.bbclocalradioforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=701.msg4147;topicseen#msg4147

I will continue listening to the show, but if Campbell is still used as a
regular contributor, I will not listen at those times, and I would be
grateful if the production team could pass this email to all news comment
outlets that use Mr Campbell,

My thanks,

http://www.bbclocalradioforum.co.uk/index.php
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 06:56:56 PM by Tiger »

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2013, 10:21:42 PM »
Campbell appeared on Richard Bacon's show this afternoon and also on the PM show. This is just days after he refused to appear on the Reunion to defend his actions regarding the fall out from Gilligan's report on the Today program and David Kelly's death.

Great email Tiger.  It doesn't end there, Campbell has just been on Newsnight talking about a football manager's retirement... I'm iraqing my brain but I can't recall him playing for Manchester United.

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2013, 11:05:24 PM »
Yes, it would be good to know if Campbell is forcing his appearances on these programs(we all remember Chanel 4 and Jon Snow) or is he  being actively invited to appear? If that is so by who exactly? Is it some twerpy production staff, that just want a lazy life and cannot be bothered to engage with looking elsewhere for a spinning soundbite, or...maybe Kelvin was busy,? it is depressing.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 11:30:20 PM by Tiger »

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2013, 09:54:25 PM »
This letter appeared in the Radio Times today, I believe it reflects public opinion.

"A LESSON NOT LEARNT?"

Sue MacGregor, closing The Reunion said that passions still run high among the participants in the 2003 row between the BBC and the Govt over its Iraq War dossier. Were lessons learnt? Tom Kelly and Geoff Hoon still don't get it. The fallout from the 2003 Hutton Inquiry has gone deeper and wider than could possibly have been imagined-untold damage was done to the democratic process, which will shape the political landscape for a very long time"

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2013, 07:57:40 PM »
Well, we are not a BBC TV Forum, but will be interesting to view.

The Iraq War

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b021sdcv

They talk of big players appearing..but actually the important thing missing is..The Chilcot Report..exactly how long is the public expected to wait for it without any explanation??

Important for democracy and indeed for David Kelly and for the hundreds of thousands of civilians and soldiers who lost their lives.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 08:00:34 PM by Tiger »

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2013, 08:21:50 PM »
And this being the 10th Anniversary of Gilligans broadcast, it aptly marks the moment which lead to the BBC losing something...
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 08:27:55 PM by darcysarto »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter