Username:  Password: 
Login with Social Media Follow BBCRadioForum on Twitter

Author Topic:  Congratulations to Chris Evans  (Read 3490 times)

Rita

• View Profile
Congratulations to Chris Evans
« on: May 17, 2013, 12:26:29 PM »
Congratulations are in order to Chris Evans in view of the fact that his "Breakfast Show" on Radio 2  has earned him an audience of 9.8 million listeners.  To take over a show fronted by Sir Terry Wogan was a massive thing, given his popularity, but Chris has done that.  I tune in every morning and I find the show refreshing and most enjoyable.  He plays excellent music to suit all ages and tastes and I say "good luck" to him and I hope he attains more success.
For anyone interested, there is a feature in the "Express" today about Chris which is very interesting and a good read.  I recommend it to everyone.

Albert

• View Profile
Re: Congratulations to Chris Evans
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 02:15:33 PM »
Mr Evans has certainly mellowed with age. But he revolted me somewhat when he took over the BBC Radio 1 morning show all those years ago and I could never find him anything other than arrogant and obnoxious. I acknowledge I am in a minority here.

For example, he did a sketch whereby he was impersonating a contestant on Countdown:

"Can I have a consonant please Carol [Vorderman]"

"....can I have a vowel please Carol"

".....can I have a shag please Carol"

When a child at the breakfast table asks you to explain that, how do you? It was the one and only time I wrote in to complain to the BBC. I received a reply from the then Controller of BBC Radio 1, Matthew Bannister whose reply was basically "I am sorry you don't like Chris Evans, many people do like him". Crass, inept and arrogance rolled into one.

Sorry, I am not a fan. And I have ginger hair too (not that that has anything to do with it).
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 02:21:23 PM by Albert »

Rita

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 02:26:32 PM »
I think you will find Albert, that Chris Evans has changed since then and his Breakfast Show on Radio 2 these days is really entertaining and it's a pleasure to turn on my radio in a morning and enjoy the music and all the rest of the show.  It's each to his own I suppose, and I can think of people who are just as obnoxious these days.  If I don't like a programme I just don't switch on, or just switch it off!

Albert

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 06:18:53 PM »
Rita, I didn't mean to spoil your enjoyment. Sorry. It's just that Chris Evans' BBC Radio 1 shows left a nasty taste. I will say though that all my colleagues at work loved his naughtiness. I suppose I must be a bit old fashioned and grumpy. I will give him another try. (And I still don't particularly like Matthew Bannister and his appearances on BBC Radio 4).

Rita

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 10:19:25 PM »
You've not spoilt my enjoyment at all Albert.  When I knew Chris had taken over from Terry Wogan, I just thought I would give it a try and find it most enjoyable.  He brightens up the first part of the morning.  I tend to listen to him each morning and then at the weekends I listen to local radio, because all my favourite presenters only appear then.
I have never had any dealings with Matthew Bannister, so couldn't really make any comments about him one way or the other.
I don't know what part of the country you come from Albert, but perhaps you would like to try Radio Merseyside sometime - best programmes are Roger Lyon's on a Saturday lunchtime, noon until 2 p.m., Frankie Connor's Sunday programme 1.00 - 4.00 p.m. (not "on air for the next 3 Sundays) and Billy Maher's programmes Saturdays 10.00 p.m. - 1.00 a.m. and Sundays 10.00 p.m. - 12 midnight.  They are all quality programmes (on 95.8 FM, 1485AM or DAB).  The first two programmes are sometimes cancelled for football, which is an irritation, but that apart, they are excellent.

Albert

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 10:24:09 AM »
I'm from that neck of the woods and will give those suggestions a try. The beauty of the internet is that we can listen to just about any station in the world, but certainly BBC can supply most of my requirements. When it all went on the internet I discovered for myself Radio Scotland and found myself tuning in every weekday evening to Iain Anderson because the music was so varied and interesting (folk/rock/country).  http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b039rp8c

So no need to be told to switch it off if I don't like it - just tune in to something you do.

I will get back to the forum, once I have listened to your suggestions.

Albert

Rita

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 03:26:05 PM »
I look forward to your comments Albert and hope you enjoy the shows I've mentioned.  It's all a matter of personal choice isn't it?

Rita

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 02:36:44 PM »
Whilst listening to the Chris Evans on Radio 2 this morning, he announced that Lord Hall was in the building!
I realise that Lord Hall should visit all the stations at some time, but I think it would have been more worth his while if he had visited the local stations first.
Perhaps he has already, who knows?

Albert

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 10:37:51 AM »
I see the Chris Evans show is billed as " A fully interactive show for all the family".

That may be the case now, I don't know, but what has prompted me to post is that I hear he is running a writing competition for under 13s.

https://500words.external.bbc.co.uk/opportunity/1

I have no problem with that as such, but in light of his behaviour on the Radio One morning show - yes I realise it was 20 years ago - and the crass reply to my complaint received from his then boss, the controller of Radio One at the time Mathew Bannister, I simply do not feel that Chris Evans should be billed as anything other than "adult entertainment". (See my earlier post)

His words "Can I have a shag please Carol" resonate in my memory everytime I hear Chris Evans' self-satisfied voice. I also remember his sometimes drunken and/or hungover appearances on Radio One and the - literally - toilet humour.

And now apparently a role model for our children? I wonder what sort of stories Chris is thinking he is capable of judging?

AndrewU

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2014, 12:07:55 PM »
Hi Albert,

I fully agree with your view of the Radio 1 Chris Evans show, but he has clearly grown up a bit since then. I don't see any problem with him judging children's stories, and it's really good that he is promoting reading.

Rita

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2014, 06:50:39 PM »
More congratulations to Chris Evans for boosting his Breakfast Show figures yet again on Radio 2.
I find it to be an extremely enjoyable show and he brings some lightness and cheerfulness in the morning.  Well done Chris! Long may you continue entertaining us.

Oliii

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2014, 02:55:01 PM »
Well done Chris! He's finally stopped me missing The Wogan!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter