Username:  Password: 
Login with Social Media Follow BBCRadioForum on Twitter

Author Topic:  Sneering at Customers  (Read 1396 times)

Sharba

• View Profile
Sneering at Customers
« on: May 29, 2013, 08:01:32 PM »
I am  bored by self-referential programmes in which BBC employees makes jokes about the BBC. They would be bored by half an hour of jokes (e.g.) by teachers about schools. "Buy Me Up TV" is one of those.

Okay, I enjoy most of 4+, but I can't expect to enjoy all of it. I would have passed the item by with a cross mutter - as I have before for similar programmes - except that "Down the Line" is scheduled for the same evening. The phrase about salt and wounds came to mind, because that sort of programme I find actively offensive.

Professionals being sarcastic about the ignorance of innocent amateurs, Gah, shameful.

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
Re: Sneering at Customers
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 09:55:35 PM »
I have to say Sharba I've not heard Buy Me Up TV but I have been know to have a giggle at Down The Line, many of the comedies aren't made by the BBC anymore so I'm not sure it's necessarily employees having a sneer?  Which comedies do you get along with?

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 10:05:50 PM »
Hello, Sharba, welcome to the Forum.

I think you are saying that "Down The Line" BBC Radio 4 satirical program is somehow showing disrespect .

Hmmm, that is tricky. I would have to say that there is a very important debate that takes place every day in our ears as the radio stations open their phone lines and take calls from the public. The calls are very important because they reflect our society. And that is important and if you listen carefully those calls and the voices of listeners are vital, they are full of intelligence, local and personal  perspective and balanced. And then..we hear the Rons and the Ronettes, who also should have a freedom of speech, which indeed they do. However they will have to take the satirical analysis at times. To be honest, I have been consistently shocked by some very racist, bigoted , misogynist views regularly represented on my local radio station for some time, the presenters have to face that every day and do well and so do the majority of the listenship, but the Bigoted Rons and Ronettes will also have to face satire at times?

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 12:58:58 PM »
I've not heard Buy Me Up TV

Well now I have and am even more confused, it seems to be a rather poor sitcom about a television shopping channel, I get the feeling watching actual shopping channels might be more amusing?

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter