Username:  Password: 
Login with Social Media Follow BBCRadioForum on Twitter

Author Topic:  BBC Asian Network Listeners Put Questions To EDL Leader Tommy Robinson  (Read 3737 times)

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
After a week in which The Today Programme drew critcism for it's interview of English Defence League leader Tommy Robinson, on Friday the Asian Network took the step of inviting him in to field questions from listeners.  I didn't hear it all but after his six minutes on Today, the 90+ minutes that Robinson answered questions on Nihal's show seems somewhat unprecendented to me?

Here is the blurb:

How do you feel about the EDL? After 10, Nihal speaks to the leader of the English Defence League Tommy Robinson. We've invited him on because his views and the actions of the organisation he leads have a direct affect on the lives of listeners to this station. We thought very carefully about inviting him on the station, but we think it's important that you get an opportunity to engage with him. I know some people will find what he has to say offensive, but this is your chance to challenge Tommy Robinson's views.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 11:31:55 AM by BBCRadioForum »

mel

• View Profile
The interview on the Asian Network leaves me a little uncomfortable. Im a strong believer in free speech and even though the views that Mr Robinson holds are not from the majority it did sound one sided. I dont think the Asian Network was the correct place to let him air his views.

In my opinion they was only fueling the fire by knowing the type of questions that going to be asked. This I understand and expect from a station aimed at one group in society.

mel

• View Profile
Today Tommy Robinson admits there are "Racists" within the EDL.

I apologize for posting an LBC video but I think this a much better interview than the one on the Asian Network.

!

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
Hi Mel, judging by the number of calls they were getting, Robinson and his so called EDL are having an effect on some sections within communities.  Im not sure where you put the balance when, despite what may come out of his mouth, people are made to feel intimidated or consequently emboldened to go out and do harm to innocent peeps.  Its a huge subject, but as some bloke once said jawjaw is better than warwar.

mel

• View Profile
Hi Darcy, the only reason I did`nt like the Asian Networks interview was it could have made some people think Robinson was being "picked on" and could have got the sympathy vote.

It was far too one sided and maybe that was the fault of the presenter. The good thing is the more he gets interviewed the more will see & hear what he really is.

The LBC video was shortened,  but the audio played out  this morning lasts much longer and I think would have got a much larger audience than the Asian Networks.

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
Hi Darcy, the only reason I did`nt like the Asian Networks interview was it could have made some people think Robinson was being "picked on" and could have got the sympathy vote.

It was far too one sided and maybe that was the fault of the presenter. The good thing is the more he gets interviewed the more will see & hear what he really is.

The LBC video was shortened,  but the audio played out  this morning lasts much longer and I think would have got a much larger audience than the Asian Networks.

Thanks for the LBC clip Mel, I shall have a look/listen.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter