As Reported Today In America, "The BBC is Recovering Viewers Trust" in The News Where You Are - Page 1
Username:  Password: 
Login with Social Media Follow BBCRadioForum on Twitter

Author Topic:  As Reported Today In America, "The BBC is Recovering Viewers Trust"  (Read 1781 times)

mel

• View Profile
Do our friends across the pond know something we dont ?

As reported in The Hollywood Reporter today.

"The BBC today said in its annual report that public trust was "recovering to previous levels" after "one of the most turbulent years" in the history of the U.K. public broadcaster".

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/bbc-viewer-trust-recovering-previous-585772

I think its quite laughable .....

Tiger

• View Profile
Yes, will be interesting to see where the evidence for the restoration of public trust has come from?I doubt it has anything to do with the actual British public!

I have just been looking at the articles coming out today about the BBC's annual report and the comments on these atricles(and I am not talking about the DM) are showing that there is no trust left...

Tiger

• View Profile
This is the report by The Times.From Ben Webster

"Public trust in BBC still at low ebb after Savile scandalLord Patten of Barnes said the “BBC seriously let down both itself and licence fee payers”

Lord Patten of Barnes said the “BBC seriously let down both itself and licence fee payers” r
Last updated at 11:06AM, July 16 2013
Public trust in the BBC has still not recovered more than six months after the scandal over Jimmy Savile, according to the corporation’s annual report.

The BBC has already spent £5 million on three reviews relating to Savile and the total cost is likely to rise substantially. The Pollard review into why the BBC blocked a Newsnight investigation into Savile cost £2.8 million despite a previous statement that it would cost £2 million.

Helen Boaden, former director of news, and George Entwistle, former director general, each received more than £100,000 in legal costs for their evidence to the Savile review, double the £50,000 cap per witness previously announced.

Lord Patten of Barnes, chairman of the BBC Trust, said the “BBC seriously let down both itself and licence fee payers”.

The annual report showed that public trust was on a high last September after the BBC’s Olympics coverage but fell sharply the following month when the Savile scandal broke. It has risen this year but by April was still not back to last summer’s average.

The BBC has faced criticism over its use of licence-fee payers’ money on a number of occasions in recent months. Last week it was announced that the former director-general Mark Thompson is to be questioned by the Commons Public Accounts Committee over payoffs of as much as £1 million he authorised for colleagues.

In May the corporation admitted that it had wasted almost £100 million of licence-fee payers’ money on a digital media archive project that it was forced to abandon.

Lord Patten indicated he would not be seeking a second term as chairman of the BBC Trust when his present term expired in 2015.

He said: “I have no present intention of seeking a second term...by that stage I will be 71 and I’m sure that there are books that I want to write, but not my memoirs.”

He suggested he might stay on for a few months in 2015 to ensure his departure did not coincide with the scheduled general election."

mel

• View Profile
--------------
Lord Patten said: quote "Lord Patten indicated he would not be seeking a second term as chairman of the BBC Trust when his present term expired in 2015.

He said: “I have no present intention of seeking a second term...by that stage I will be 71 and I’m sure that there are books that I want to write, but not my memoirs.”

He suggested he might stay on for a few months in 2015 to ensure his departure did not coincide with the scheduled general election
." :end quote
--------------

With respect to Lord Patten I hope they choose someone who`s background is or was within the broadcasting industry.
Someone who knows and understands TV & Radio and what`s needed without having advisers to help him (or her).

They need someone dynamic to pull the BBC out of the mire they have put themselves in. They need to regain full trust by the British public.
It will be a hard job and will take a person who`s not afraid of laying down the law, and not just taking up the job till he or she retires.

Tiger

• View Profile
Here is the evidence that has been used to say that trust is being restored, does not look like that to me?

An annual survey which measures whether the BBC is meeting its “public purposes” under its Royal Charter found the score for its journalism had fallen to the lowest level since the survey was introduced in 2007.

NatCen Social Research, commissioned by the trust, said: “Since the start of the purpose remit survey, around seven in ten respondents have consistently agreed that the BBC provides high quality, independent journalism. The performance score has reduced significantly to 65 per cent.”

The survey of more than 2,000 adults is normally carried out in September and October but the fieldwork was delayed until January.

The BBC also admitted failing to increase its value-for-money rating after saying last year that this was an important area for improvement. Four in ten people said the £145.50 licence fee did not give good value, the same as in the previous five years. The BBC said: “Audience opinion in this area has tended to be unresponsive to change.”

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter